Re-Mounting Scope Base on Ruger 10/22 Sporter Deluxe

Someone used screws that were too short, and pulled the top half of the threads  out of the aluminum receiver. This is a stainless gun, with silver anodized receiver. I went to a few places in Murfreesboro this afternoon, looking for "longer" stainless base mounting screws. I can order them, but was hoping to find some in the Murfreesboro general area. I could get by with two, but would buy four if I could find them. Anybody know where there are some for sale? The base is the standard Ruger aluminum base, with six holes in it...four on one end, and two on the other end. Thanks for your help.

Will longer ones really serve? Meaning, they can't extend below bottom wall of receiver or they bind the bolt.

- OS

I believe so, oh Shoot. Right now they only screw in about half way into the threads, I've totally disassembled the gun so I can put the base on and slide the bolt back and forth to assure no binding. But, before I get to that point, I can look inside the receiver and barrel socket to make sure the screws do not extend beyond the edge of the threads.

• Like 1

Btw, you try your Ace Hardware guy? Been surprised at the range of machine screws some of them have. Plus the screw in sizing board to check what ya have.

- OS

Got there today at 5 O'Clock, and the door was locked. Plan to give them another try tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion. Grady Jones' is usually open 2 -6 PM Mon-Wed-Fri, but was closed around 3:30 today. I'd rather have factory scope mount screws, if I can find them. I'm not sure if Outpost carries loose scope mount screws or not. If anybody reading this knows for sure, please let me know. Thanks.

I've had several come through the shop with this problem. I've always just re-tapped the receiver stepping up to a 8-40 thread... you don't even need to drill larger, just use the tap... the receiver is soft enough.  The 8-40 matches more of your standard scope screws anyways.  The 10/22 receiver is aluminum and as Oh Shoot states, there's not much room to go with longer screws.  If the 1st half is boogered it's probably not going to yield a good lock up anyways and when you torque them down they may wind up stripping the other half.. 

If you want to try longer bolts first, you're looking for 6-48 thread. Pretty sure that's the factory thread pitch. Just be careful as you can run the bolts into the receiver channel. If you were trying this route I'd also pick up a 6-48 tap and retap the holes just to clean them up and give them the best opportunity to hold.

Brownells sells longer bolts too if you have time to wait for them.  Found this a few minutes ago while looking ...

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/mounting-hardware/brownells-146x48-scope-base-shop-kit-prod795.aspx

Good luck!

• Like 1

Brownells also sells oversize screws for stripped holes in a Ruger receiver. It is the same thread pitch but slightly larger.

And if you decide to use the same size screws you can use a LITTLE bit of JB Weld to sometimes fix the holes. Use shoe polish to coat the screws and base. You put the polish between your fingers and roll the screws around. Then smear some on the bottom of the rail. Put the screws through the base and put a very small dab of JB Weld on the shaft of the screw. Ideally you enough to get into the hole without getting any on the base. Then screw it together but do not tighten like normal. You want then finger tight and not hand tight. Let it set overnight to cure and then in the morning unscrew everything and clean up an JB that might be sticking up.

Just make sure you use polish, or a release agent, on the screws and base. I have also heard of people using non stick cooking spray but I have never used it.

Personally going 8-40 is easy and you end up with a much stronger connection. You might have to drill the base holes larger depending on the base.

• Like 2

Got there today at 5 O'Clock, and the door was locked. Plan to give them another try tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion. Grady Jones' is usually open 2 -6 PM Mon-Wed-Fri, but was closed around 3:30 today. I'd rather have factory scope mount screws, if I can find them. I'm not sure if Outpost carries loose scope mount screws or not. If anybody reading this knows for sure, please let me know. Thanks.

We do not sell loose screws. However we may have a one piece DNZ mount. It's probably more than you want to spend on rings and base but i think that would work well given your circumstances. If you come in this weekend they should still be 20% off.

As cheap as these screws are online (about $55 for a display box of 150), I don't understand why anyone that sells guns don't have one of these display boxes on hand. I may have to go to the 8-40 thread, but hope not. I have good threads in the two aft holes, and pretty good ones in the third hole. The front one, above the barrel, is thicker, and has lots of good threads below the boggered ones. If I can find a screw that just comes to the edge, tighten the rear two, snug the third, tighten the front screw...and apply blue LockTite to all of them, I think it might hold. If not, I can still go to the 8-40 thread as suggested by LawEnforcementSalesTN. Like Dolomite suggested, JB Weld done properly may work also. WestwindMike, point well taken... they should sell scope base screws as I mentioned above.

Another member has changed out his scope base, and said he thinks he has all of the screws. The bases are the same, and I'm just hoping one of the screws is long enough for the front base hole.

I think we all understand that the LGS has to sell big ticket items to pay the overhead. But, having been in the retail market before (local rental stores), I understand that some items are carried for the convenience of your customers. In fact some items may loose you money, but need to be offered for the customer's one stop shopping. I used to loose money every time I rented a chain saw...and lots of times when I rented a Ditch Witch (rocks and Ditch Witch will always be enemies!), but my customers wanted and needed the, so I carried them. Pleasing the customer keeps them coming back. Our rental store was in the "black" in 14 months...something unheard of for a new start up commercial business at the time.

So, if you're a gun shop, please stock the scope mount screw assortment. Like I said, they're only about $55 for an assortment of 150 screws. Your customers will appreciate it. If you charge a buck each for them, you've made money... just saying.

• Like 1