Recommendations on two New 9MM's

Alright, I want to get recommendations on the purchase of two 9MM's; one for conceal carry and one for target/action/plinking. Here is my criteria for each:

conceal carrry:

no Glocks; yes I know they are good guns, I just personally don't like them and the way they fit me.

9MM caliber

striker fired, or light DAO trigger

single stack mag, but if thin enough would go double stack

no larger than SW Shield/LC9 size

good trigger overall

On my short list, LC9 striker fired, Kahr CM and CW9, Shield, XDs9, Walther PPS and CCP,

and

for target/action/plinking:

no glocks; reason stated above

9MM caliber

striker fired

minimum 4" barrel

accuracy and trigger pull being two optimal factors here to enhance ability to make accurate shots

on short list: Ruger SR9, XD9 standard and tactical 5" XDm9, M&P, M&P pro, M&P viking tactical version, Walther P99 PPX, PPQ, Sig P320 and HK VP9

now in addition to this, do you all think a Citadel 1911 9MM would be just as accurate or more accurate than what is listed above?

Again, purely personal taste here.

I favor the XDM 5.25, and the M&P 9FS. The M&P Vtac is pretty good simply for the sights, but does it shoot any better than the standard M&P9? Maybe in the hands of a professional, but for the guy like me; the answer is no.

I have been finding a certain fondness for the PPQ lately, but don't own one. So I cant really give you a good opinion. I do like the ergonomics of them, and the trigger is very good from my short time dry firing and testing the reset.

For me, the longer barrel psitols, 4+, would be better for target and general plinking. And if you really want to play....get a 5 inch barrel.

For me the best 9mm carry pistols are: Kahr PM9(6+1), CM9, Springfield XDS 9(7+1) and CW9(7+1) which is about same size as XDS9 and a single stack. To me the PM9 and CM9 are the ideal carry conceal size with 6+1  rds. I have the PM9, XDS9 and the CW9. I carry the PM9 w/ns most of the time and the other two are in the safe.

[url=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/lshel63/media/DSC_0004.jpg.html]DSC_0004.jpg[/URL]

Target 9mm is my M&P Pro 9 with aluminum Apex trigger and springs with 5" barrel. Excellant trigger with short trigger reset.

Edited by lshel

I own a Ruger SR9 and a SA XDs 9P. Both are outstanding pistols with no complaints from me on either. As an aside though the SR9 and Glock 17/19 are actually kissing cousins in most every respect.

I've handled and shot the S&W M&P 9 as well as the Shield 9mmP. Both are excellent pistols.

I owned a Ruger LC9 and will not recommend one. But I will wholeheartedly endorse Ruger products as a whole.

Edited by TNWNGR

I carry a shield 9 almost every day.  It is augmented every now and then by its full sized brother.  I also have a M&P pro in 9mm. I'm a fan of the M&P line in general, I even have one of their knives.  If your ever near the Clarksville are let me know and we can set up a time for you to shoot any of them.  You have a pretty good list of weapons there and i think all of them would probably fit the bill, just try as many of each out as you can and pick the one you like best.  

If I went with the LC9Sm, the other would be the SR9 (same goes for Shield and M&P Pro or XDs and XDm). Maybe that's wierd, but I like a consistent "feel" between guns, if possible. For instance, I love that when I take my compact CZ and any of my full size CZs to the range, they feel the same when I swap between them. I'd assume the others are the same.

What about an MK9?

I feel the extra weight turns it into a fun range/plinker. It eats up the recoil which makes it fun to shoot.

I too would steer you back to the CZ 75 variants. If you want consistent pull, get a da/sa compact with safety or sao and go "C and L"

I like the comment about the HK P7, if my hand injury wouldn't have caused me to have sympathetic trigger pull when squeezing the front safety I would still have one. Lowest bore axis (bore points like an index finger).  The only other gun that points like this without the sympathetic trigger pull is my grossly modified Glock 19.  I tried so many other pistols/revolvers.  If you have good fine motor control, go P7.  If you don't - well then you have to find your own way.  I still get a kick out of folks who think shooting on your feet with a two-handed modifed weaver stance is what handgun shooting is all about. If you are stalking or LEO during an Op then things are different, most of the rest of us are going to be using our handgun as last resort in a bad physical situation. Best just be home by 10 p.m. and not traveling in questionable situations.  If you can just hire two Delta Force pistoleros, otherwise get something that points fast one handed.   

• Like 1

I have a CM9 Kahr that is nice to pocket carry with a Nemesis Desantes holster until I got a (Lisa) RJ Hedley leather holster and magazine sheath.  After 20 rounds or so it has been flawless.   Standard hollow point ammo rather than +P or +P+ is easier to control for carry.   It is a powder puff with Winchester White Box.  Firing the Winche ster Ranger T+P+ is a handful in the small pistol so I found some with less bounce to the ounce.. :)  The CM9 has a lot to offer for a small price.

Edited by deadeye111

Another vote for the Shield 9 and M&P Pro 5". I have both, as well as a compact and full size M&P... love 'em! No troubles, excellent shooters.

My Shield goes just about everywhere with me. IMG_20140403_232008_459_zps91a4bdb6.jpg

That Kershaw has since been replaced with the TGO ProTech knife. :-)