Tikka 300 win mag?

Peace

Anyone have any experience with these?   Trigger was incredible and bolt felt very smooth (not indestructible, but smooth).   -- wondering if there is enough support to build a long range platform out of this rifle.

I used to have a Tikka T3 in .270.  It was a great hunting rifle.  Well made and help up to being dragged thru the woods for many years.  Kinda wished I had not sold it.  Have not had any experience with magnum calibers but my 270 was a great rifle.

• Like 1

Define carry on hunts?  Are we talking walking miles or just walking a relatively short distance back and forth to you vehicle?  I have a Tikka T3 Lite 25-06 which is very accurate and a nice weight to carry even with a scope.  Also, when you say long range, are you talking about long range hunting or long range target shooting?  What is long range?   I am pretty comfortable that I could take most things in North America outside of a Grizzly with my 25-06 up to 500 yards.  I also have a Browning X-Bolt 300WSM that I would probably take if I was going out west.  It isn't as accurate as my Tikka, but most of that could be due to the fact that I don't like to spend a lot of time shooting (read practicing with it) it as it packs a pretty good punch.  I am confident with it up to 250-300 yards though.

Tikka's are essentially a Sako with less fit and finish.  For me, they aren't a "target" rifle as the stocks just aren't made for it, but they are a very accurate hunting rifle.  There is a T3 Sporter version which has more of a target stock, but it also weighs 9 lbs before the scope.

I really am looking for a project rifle that will eventually be capable of hitting a 12" gong at 1,200yds.... but is not so heavy that I don't want to carry it on the occasional out west hunting trip. I would re-stock the Tikka. I am getting the hint that I may be too optimistic.

I really am looking for a project rifle that will eventually be capable of hitting a 12" gong at 1,200yds.... but is not so heavy that I don't want to carry it on the occasional out west hunting trip. I would re-stock the Tikka. I am getting the hint that I may be too optimistic.

I don't know much about the Tikka except that it is a light rifle. People seem to like them though.

I always thought that if I was going to have a project rifle that I tweaked into the perfect long-range shooter it would probably be a Savage since the barrel, stock, etc are easy to swap out and it's an affordable platform. Lots of builds over on www.longerangehunting.com. Probably some Tikkas too
  • 3 weeks later...

I really am looking for a project rifle that will eventually be capable of hitting a 12" gong at 1,200yds....

Peace... Remington 700  action when ya start this...  I would look for an older sporter in the meantime... Tou will need a long action (...30-06...) size to shoot that far...  Remington 700s have been around a long time and there is lots of used stuff floatin around... There are more custom parts for the 700 than all the other rifle actions combined...

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1