reloading dies

I have always used either Lee dies or RCBS dies but was recently reading about some other brands and have noticed some people seem stuck on one brand over others more than a sports team. What makes one set of dies better than others? Or is it simply which ones do you like? I mean this as an honest question so please keep it factual and above all civil. Thanks everyone.

I use Lee dies, have done so since the mid 80s and can't see spending more for dies that do the same thing. I do have some RCBS, Hornady etc, components as well because they were either inexpensive enough or all that was all that was available at the time I needed them.
When I started reloading 300Blk, I was told that Lee was trash and they would not form cases from 5.56 and I almost believed it. Luckily Lee had a set of dies that included the crimp die which EVERYONE recommended so I figured I would take a chance. After a small glitch I got the dies setup right and reformed over 1k cases without any more issues. I think Lee gets a bad rap because they are so cheap (price), which leads people to think they are cheap (quality).

In many decades of reloading, I have acquired dies from many different makers.  Lee makes very good dies, RCBS is a very good company to deal with.  Lyman dies were the standard for decades but are a difficult company from a customer service standpoint.  Redding dies are very good but very pricey.  Dillon dies work very well in single stage presses as well as their progressive presses.  Herter's made a good set of dies but went out of business years and years ago.  Pacific made good dies but they got bought out by somebody.  CH were OK.

Where is this going?  I have never had a really bad set of dies.  I would buy on the basis of function (lee comes to mind) or superior customer service, RCBS or Dillon.  Based on really bad customer service, I will not buy any more Lyman products, but YMMV.

Nothing like a very definitive answer.

• Like 1
Of all the dies I have bought, sold, and traded I have only used customer service through Lyman and they were fine. I have heard more than one person say they didn't care for Hornady dies but they didnt say why. I do know people like their lock rings though.
I vote Hornady dies.
1. They come with the best lock rings.
2. Seating die has the bullet guide which helps make sure the bullet is straight, and does a great job helping to avoid pinched fingers!
3. They now have a taper crimp option instead of the roll crimp - just bought .45ACP dies a few weeks back, has an adjustment for seating depth and crimp and very simple to set up.

That being said, half of my dies are RCBS. Only Lee dies I own are an universal decapper and two bullet sizing dies.
  • Like 1

I reload rifle cartridges only and just a few calibers; 223, 6.8 SPC and 30-06.

Within those I load for general shooting and competition.  

Dies for general shooting are RCBS and Redding, never an issue with either but their lock rings could be better (solved with Lyman/Forster lock rings).

For competition, Redding and Forster.  The Forster micrometer seating dies ensure bullet to case alignment for little to no runout and they are very simple to adjust; very important for the loads I use, but not so much for loading up plinking rounds.

I prefer Lyman dies for loading pistol calibers because the pistol three-die sets come with the M-die that is better for expanding and belling case mouths for cast bullets. M-dies are sold separately for rifle calibers. In rifle calibers, I've used Lyman, RCBS, and Lee. They all work well if properly used; I suspect improper loading technique accounts for more problems than the brand of dies used.

I own Lee, RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady and like them all. I recently picked up a RCBS .22 Hornet 2 die set, which is a "bottle neck" case like a .30-30. Have heard that the bottle neck dies are not made in carbide. Can anyone confirm this? If someone makes the 22 Hornet dies in carbide, please let me know who does, and where I can get a set. I usually use case lube anyway.

I own Lee, RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady and like them all. I recently picked up a RCBS .22 Hornet 2 die set, which is a "bottle neck" case like a .30-30. Have heard that the bottle neck dies are not made in carbide. Can anyone confirm this? If someone makes the 22 Hornet dies in carbide, please let me know who does, and where I can get a set. I usually use case lube anyway.

They do make carbide dies, but because you have to use lube anyway it makes the carbide part a moot point.  But if you insist, Dillon, and Lyman make carbide dies...if you can find them in your caliber.

They do make carbide dies, but because you have to use lube anyway it makes the carbide part a moot point.  But if you insist, Dillon, and Lyman make carbide dies...if you can find them in your caliber.

I appreciate the information, and your point is well taken. I haven't tried loading any of the .22 Hornet yet, but hear a person has to be real careful with the thin wall cases, so as not to destroy them. For that reason, I think I'll bypass my Rock Chucker and go to a Lee hand press. I see them advertised for around $40 online. Does anyone know of any retail places that carry them locally...Murfreesboro area? I saw a small Lee press at Academy for around $40, but it was a bench mount. I didn't ask if they carried the hand press, but didn't see any on display. Has anyone loaded any .22 Hornet? I'm wide open for suggestions. Thanks.

Edit:

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Anyone wanting to respond with a PM, would be much appreciated.

Edited by Sidewinder

I appreciate the information, and your point is well taken. I haven't tried loading any of the .22 Hornet yet, but hear a person has to be real careful with the thin wall cases, so as not to destroy them. For that reason, I think I'll bypass my Rock Chucker and go to a Lee hand press. I see them advertised for around $40 online. Does anyone know of any retail places that carry them locally...Murfreesboro area? I saw a small Lee press at Academy for around $40, but it was a bench mount. I didn't ask if they carried the hand press, but didn't see any on display. Has anyone loaded any .22 Hornet? I'm wide open for suggestions. Thanks.

Edit:

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. Anyone wanting to respond with a PM, would be much appreciated.

No 22 hornets, but I have used the hand press.  If you want a light touch you may want to stick with the single stage press.  You can more easily control the amount of force with that than the hand press.  The Lee hand press is available at Midsouth Shooter Supply out here in Clarksville, not sure about your area.

No 22 hornets, but I have used the hand press.  If you want a light touch you may want to stick with the single stage press.  You can more easily control the amount of force with that than the hand press.  The Lee hand press is available at Midsouth Shooter Supply out here in Clarksville, not sure about your area.

Thanks Omega, I appreciate the information. I may just get one of each. Nothing else, I can use one for de-priming and resizing. I reload shotgun shells also, and all of my presses are MEC. Just to get back on track of the thread, I can't say I've had any problems with any of the dies mentioned in this thread. To be honest, I don't think I've seen a nickel's worth of difference in their loading quality. I don't shoot precision bench, so they work fine for hunting.

I use both Lee and Hornady dies. I will admit that the Lee dies seem a bit tougher then the Hornady ones when it comes to full length resizing large rifle calibers. Yes I do love the lock ring system for my Lock N' Load press very convenient. When all is said and done though I still turn to my Lee single stage for my long range accuracy needs.

I used Lee dies in my Lee turret press for a long time (9mm, 45 acp, 9mm Mak, .38/.357). Then I ran across a sale price on a set of 9mm Hornady dies and 100 free Hornady 9mm XTP bullets that I could not pass up. I thought the dies were much much smoother. The sizing die is where I noticed the most difference. It took far less pressure to size the brass and the return stroke is less jerky and with no sticking (even without lube). The bullet guide jonathon1289 mentioned is very nice, but I couldn't fit the larger lock rings on my tiny Lee turret.

When I upgraded to a Dillon press, I moved the 9mm Hornady dies over and was still very satisfied. Only now they felt even smoother all around (maybe due to the increased leverage and stability?). Plus, I got to use the awesome lock rings too. I tried the Lee dies in this press too and could honestly feel the difference in the smoothness of both the up and down stroke. So, I switched back.

Then I went and got a 2nd Dillon press for 45 acp I went ahead and got it with Dillon dies. Now I'm spoiled rotten. They are even better than the Hornady dies, but I did miss the Hornady lock rings when I was setting it up.

Edited by BigK

Maybe I just haven't used an "upgraded" setup or something, but I just love my old turret press.  By using multiple turrets I can switch calibers in less than 5 seconds.  The lock rings on a few other Mfg's dies are much better than the Lee rings but honestly I never had a die move on me.  Lately I have been reloading 300Blk and have had to change settings on my seating die often, so one of the seating dies with the scale on it would definitely come in handy if its calibrated properly it should be easy to go from one bullet type to another.  But I guess I am just a cheap bastard because I just cant bring myself to getting one.  And since all my pistol calibers are carbide dies, I would be out of pocket at least twice as much for those other dies than my Lee dies.