Jim Garthwaite 1911 course

platham

I couldn't decide whether to put this in handguns or gunsmithing, please move if wrong place. Anyways, i just finished up Mr. Garthwaite's 1911 course that he offers (course info here http://www.garthwaite.com/services/classes.php). I thought I'd do a quick write up on my impressions of the course. I'll add a couple pictures as well. (I want to apologize for my crappy picture taking skills as well). It was a 5 day course which included range time. I also apologize, I am typing this on my phone so bear with me with mistakes, autocorrects, and the like. To begin with, I was impressed with the course, and would recommend it to anyone who can afford it and wants to learn More about a 1911. When we got to his shop, he show us a couple slide shows to get started then put us at our benches. There were 5 of us in the class, so he was able to help each of us individually. We were each given a standard Springfield mil spec 1911 which Mr. Garthwaite likes to use because they have a good forged frame and slide. The class ran from Monday to Friday from 8:00 am until 4:30-5:00 with a lunch each day at 12. We began with Jim showing us how he disassembles and reassembles a 1911. and with that I was already learning tricks. He removes the entire slide first rather than the bushing and recoil spring first so as to be able to twist the bushing in the middle of the barrel to help prevent wear of the bushing to barrel fit. We then sat down and disassembled and reassembles the 1911s until we were comfortable enough with it to do it easily. From there the first thing we did was fit a Kart match barrel. He showed us how he fit his barrels (and helped speed the process for us by milling off about 3/4 of the material that would have otherwise been filed). We then cut the lugs on the barrel as well. gu2a2ena.jpg Next we fit triggers and new hammer sear and disconnector. All of which were made for mr. Garthwaite to his specs. At the same time he showed us how to do a trigger job using a jig and stones. His parts were wire EDMed so well that no tuning was needed. I do feel confident after him teach us that I could do a trigger job with the jig he used. Fitting the trigger was a simple task that was done by draw filing the oversized trigger too and bottom until it fit correctly. Next we worked on fitting the grip safety. He showed us his file techniques for fitting followed by sandpaper. My arbor that I was using to hold the frame did not have a clamp to hold the grip safety in which is why the rubber band was there. pybage4y.jpg While fitting he grip safety's Mr Garthwaite did the mill work for the slides, cutting a dovetail for the front sight and cutting the rear for heinie sight. The rear sights we were using had also been milled out to aid in one hand racking of the slide. We finished the fitting of the sights with 65* files (I think it was 65 at least). After fitting the grip safeties we head spaced and slightly reamed the chambers to get it into specs as they were shot chambered. zysageqe.jpgsahe3u4a.jpg After that it was a trip to the range the next day which was thursday. The first thing done was sight in work. Most of guns shot correctly for Windage, but jim had brought his sight pusher and adjusted them as needed. For elevation jim filed on the sights right there at the range (which had been left purposefully high so they would shoot low), to get them to shoot where they needed to. I had brought standard 230 grain ball ammo as well as 230 grain hydrashoks with which to sight it in. Once the guns were sighted in we got to the fun part, shooting! We started out shooting steel targets from 15-30 yards away and ended up shooting clay pigeons on the bank at about 48 yards. (The guns were accurate). Jim brought out some plastic flat main spring housings with us to help us decide what we liked better. I liked the flat better so went with it. While at the range Jim had us shoot a few different drills, and helped us with our shooting. One of the students in the class was 15 and taking it with his dad. He out shot most of us the entire time. Jim also brought out a commander sized 1911 in 9mm with his gold bead front sight in it, so that were were able to try a 9mm gun and see the gold bead. (I really really liked the gold bead). The next morning (Friday) was all cosmetic work. Cleaning up any tool marks, etc... Since I decided to go with a flat mainspring housing I did the fitting work for that on Friday as well. On Friday he also showed us his techniques for checkering as well. During the day Friday he periodically pulled each of us into a separate room to talk about what we wanted in terms of finishing as there was not time for finishing during the class (we were given the option of a Teflon coat or bluing, I went bluing ). At the same time he asked us if there was anything we would like to have him do that we hadn't had time to do in the class. I am having him put a gold be in my front sight, polish the flats before bluing, checker the front and back strap and the back of the slide with 30 LPI, and flat top and serrate the top of the slide. I should have my gun in the next month or 2 (it's torturing me, I want to shoot my gun lol). It just take a bit for him to get the finishing done. Here are pictures of my gun before refinishing. This is how it sat at the end of the class. (The rear sight isn't in it) 2yserame.jpgpesaqe8u.jpg Throughout the course Jim described problems he had had on previous guns and showed us how he had taken care of it (as much as he could without actually having the problem to fix). He also through the course would show us things and explain exactly why he did them, for example he put a notch in the slide stops and then explained how it made it easier to assembled the gun again and prevents the notorious "idiot mark". I will try to get pictures of that after, didn't think about taking that picture. After the course I feel as though I can build my Springfield mil spec (that I bought the day I turned 21) to my specs, whatever they may be. I've ready installed a Garthwaite sear, hammer, and disconnect in my gun that I had before the class. I also had that gun with me, and was able to get mr. Garthwaite to put the notch in the slide stop for me. I would highly recommend this course, I learned more in the short time I was in the class than I have learned in a long time. I will update this with pictures of the gun when I get it back. If there is something I missed please, don't hesitate to ask questions about my experience in the course.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
Ya, I'll be the first to admit it wasn't cheap, but a custom 1911 from him is very close to the same price as well . So I figured that the class was "free" so to speak and I was paying for a custom 1911.

I will hopefully pick it up on Saturday...then Sunday I'll put a few (boxes lol) down range

Ya, I'll be the first to admit it wasn't cheap, but a custom 1911 from him is very close to the same price as well . So I figured that the class was "free" so to speak and I was paying for a custom 1911.

I will hopefully pick it up on Saturday...then Sunday I'll put a few (boxes lol) down range

Huh?

So the pistol you worked on during the class is yours to keep and included in the cost of the course?