Home made tannerite

FYI, Aluminum powder is the smallest constituent.

It would also be my recommendation to not to mfg your own. Just my $.02.

I had a reloading accident due to static. I don't know that manufacturing an explosive would be smart, let alone being legal!

Dave

• Like 1

For your reading enjoyment.

ATF Federal Explosives Law and Regulations - 2000

18. Are binary explosives subject to regulation under Federal explosives laws?
Until the compounds are mixed, they are not classified as explosives and, therefore, are not subject to control. However, once mixed, binary explosives are considered to be explosive materials and are subject to all applicable Federal requirements. A person who regularly combines compounds of binary explosives to manufacture such explosives for the purpose of sale or distribution or for the persons own business use is a manufacturer of explosives materials and must be licensed as a manufacturer under the law. [18 U.S.C. 841(h); 27 CFR 55.11: definition of manufacturer]

36. When is a manufacturer's license required?
A manufacturers license is needed only by persons engaged in the business of manufacturing explosive materials for sale, distribution, or for business use. For example, persons engaged in the business of providing a blasting service using explosives of their own manufacture would be required to have a manufacturers license. Persons who manufacture explosives for their personal, nonbusiness use would not need a manufacturers license. [27 CFR 55.11: definition of manufacturer, 55.41]

40. Is a manufacturers license required for agricultural use of binary explosives?
No, as long as the user is not engaged in the business of manufacturing explosive materials. For example, if a farmer buys binary explosives for use in blowing tree stumps on his farm, he or she does not need a manufacturers license. However, if the farmer uses binary explosives in a business of blasting stumps/rocks, etc., for other persons, he or she would be required to have a manufacturers license. See also Questions 18, 36 and 37. [27 CFR 55.11: Definition of a manufacturer, 55.41(a)]

Edited by Raoul

95% ammonium nitrate to 5% aluminum dust by weight. The ammonium nitrate must be the 34-0-0 to work and most places that do sell fertilizer no longer carry it. Nothing else, that I have found, will work with the aluminum powder.

Good luck finding ammonium nitrate. Most places want you to have a reason for having it, like a farm. And I have yet to find a place that does not want to get a copy of your DL to add you to the list they give to DHS quarterly.

It is perfectly legal to manufacture your own explosives but you must follow a few basic rules. It must be consumed at the time it is made, no making it ahead of time. And the explosive must not be used to make money. It cannot be transported on public roads once made. It cannot be stored once made. If you violate any of those rules then you MUST have the proper licensing. But mixing up your own explosive is perfectly legal.

95% ammonium nitrate to 5% aluminum dust by weight. The ammonium nitrate must be the 34-0-0 to work and most places that do sell fertilizer no longer carry it. Nothing else, that I have found, will work with the aluminum powder.

Good luck finding ammonium nitrate. Most places want you to have a reason for having it, like a farm. And I have yet to find a place that does not want to get a copy of your DL to add you to the list they give to DHS quarterly.

It is perfectly legal to manufacture your own explosives but you must follow a few basic rules. It must be consumed at the time it is made, no making it ahead of time. And the explosive must not be used to make money. It cannot be transported on public roads once made. It cannot be stored once made. If you violate any of those rules then you MUST have the proper licensing. But mixing up your own explosive is perfectly legal.

I can get the ammonia nitrate locally so no issue there. I was told to mix it 5-1 five parts ammonia nitrate to 1 part dust.

I can get the ammonia nitrate locally so no issue there. I was told to mix it 5-1 five parts ammonia nitrate to 1 part dust.

That sounds like way too much aluminum powder. 95-5 sounds about right. You have to blow it where you mix it, just like tannerite.

I always mixed mine 95/5 and it was 100% reliable. I would say as long as it is close it will work. If you have too much aluminum then you will have some aluminum that will not ignite. Too much AN and you will have some AN that will not ignite. The AL is the fuel and the AN is the oxygen to burn the fuel.

I will say that David's uses AN in powder form and mine was in prill form, perhaps that has an effect on ratios. And I will say that using AN as a powder results in a much more powerful boom. I have used home made prill mixture for a long time. I always put 1/2 pound charges against AR 500 plates. When ignited nothing happened. I did the same using David's powdered AN and it bent the AR 500 plate at 90 degrees using the same charge. So I would suggest grinding the AN up using a blender or something else but DO NOT do it after the aluminum has been added otherwise it WILL explode and KILL you.

What micron is your aluminum? Mine floats in the air like smoke and I use a mask when dealing with it.

Using ammonium nitrate results in the mixture that requires rifle calibers to ignite. 22's, pistol calibers and slower rifle calibers will not ignite the AN/AL mixture. To make some that can be ignited by pistols and 22 it requires the use of ammonium perchlorate which is a little harder to find but it is not regulated like AN is. AP can be bought online from most DIY fireworks places because I believe it is used to make flash powder.

Here is a pretty good write up on amounts.

http://www.tngun.com/homemade-tannerite-clone-from-cold-packs/

Would you be interested in selling 5-10 pounds of aluminum powder?

Anyone know of any places in the Knoxville area that sells the 34-0-0 AN without having to justify the need or provide ID. I would like to pick up a bag or two. I am not going to  do anything illegal and honestly would not mind showing my ID but would prefer not to be added to another list.

I think you also need what they used to call a Chemical Card now to buy most of that stuff. It's for farm use and I'm not sure what they call it now. Dad still has his because he likes to jack the yard up every year, could be why we have to mow twice a week but it sure is pretty and green.

Let me add one thing for some to ponder...................

I've been in the chemical biz a LONG time and things have changed considerably in the last 10 years. I work for one of the world's largest chemical distribution companies and have sat through many meetings and specific training on regulated compounds. I can tell you there are "many" compounds that are being "watched" where they are sold, how much and by whom. There is a paper trail, trust me. I won't go into detail but there are certain questions one might ask from a given supplier that will result in a call directly to DHS.

Being in a legit biz and acquiring AN for use on farm etc. is one thing. However, this and other substances may generate the kind of attention you ultimately don't want.

Tannerite is fun, used it many times. However, I'm going to let the owner of that company take the exam and answer those questions.  :)

Just my $.02.

The problem is additional cost of buying commercially available targets.

Commercially sold "tannerite" is ~$5 a pound while the components to make your own is well under $1 per pound.  Last time I bought some AN, which was about 4 years ago, it cost me $17 for 50 pounds. The aluminum powder is $5 per pound. So for $12 you can make 20 pounds of exploding targets. That same 20 pounds is $170 through a popular retailer.

Another HUGE problem I have is the unnecessary regulation of things that should not be regulated at all.

If I can legally own the firearm to shoot the exploding target then the target itself should not be a problem. No matter how heavily they regulate it, or how illegal they make it, as long as it is used as fertilizer it can get into the hands of those who are going to do harm using it. It is perfectly legal to make your own explosives, regardless of what the ingredients are, so until it is proven that I should not be allowed to buy it then I should be allowed to buy what I want and in whatever amount I can afford. 

I am tired of legislators, and lawmakers, deciding the best way to protect myself from myself. These are the same people who tell me what I can't have yet demand that they are allowed to have the same items I can't. There are all kinds of things that are regulated that should not be in any way shape or form. I should be allowed to ingest anything I want in my own home yet those who control us only allow us to have the freedoms they give us permission to have. Our freedoms are being taken away daily in the name of protecting people from themselves and this is just another instance of taking yet another freedom from a law abiding citizen. BTW, if they made the sale of AN illegal to the general public the criminals intent on using it will still be able to steal it or obtain it legally with a few, easy to obtain, licenses.

I would like to hear about the last time "Tannerite" type of explosives were used in the commission of a crime. I am not talking about those who were arrested for exploding a target deemed "too large" by LE either.

• Like 4