Auto knife choice

A friend of mine called earlier. He's wanting to get an auto and has narrowed his choices down to a Protech Rockeye or a Benchmade Adamas. Both with tan handles, black blades. He asked my opinion and while I've handled both knives (i like 'em both) I've never owned or used either one. This isn't going to be a hard use knife, he just wants a good auto and likes the looks and features of both knives.

Myself, I'd probably go with the Rockeye but I'm not that familiar with autos yet. I know some of you guys are more knowledgeable about knives/autos than I am (and own a Rockeye) so I told him I'd ask you guys your opinion on both knives. Which would you go with and why?

I echo TNs remarks, and for that reason I even more enthusiastically agree with OSs recommendation!

Jump on the Godfather buy! I need one to go with my Rockeye! I've started leaving a pocket dedicated to knife carry, to keep from getting it scratched by keys, etc. I desperately want a Godfather to reside where the Rockeye currently sits!

Being retired military I carry my Benchmade 9100 Auto Stryker, have done so for almost 15 years.  Every once in awhile I carry my 9050 but its a bit bulky for EDC, and I like the tonto blade of the 9100.  I am not much of a knife collector but have found that I have a few anyway, but have traded some for gun parts and such.  The two I will keep have much of the black come off the blade but still open with a solid click which says something for their quality.

I haven't had any experience with Benchmade but Protech knives are top notch. The Rockeye is a tank and protech stands behind their product. I have three now and the Godfather will be four. Every time I look at another brand I drift back to Protech. I also have a Microtech Ultratech and a Schrade Smedy,the Protech and Microtech are like nothing I have ever owned. Have your friend take a look at this, I haven't had to use costomer service with PVK but shipping has been fast and He packages the knives very well. HTH http://www.pvk.com/webcat/ProTechRockeyeAutoKnurling.shtml

Joe W.

I haven't yet handled a Benchmade automatic but their assisted opening knives are very well made.  I have two Pro Tech automatic knives and I'm very pleased with them. 

My dad had an old Benchmade, and I'd compare the action to be equal to the LG101 Protech from the group buy. Just as smooth and just as hard. I have a Benchmade assist, and man is it sweet for the money.