Who has opinions on OTF auto knives?

I have a growing interest in one of these to replace (or backup) my pre-Grylls Gerber folder since in TN it's legal to carry about any sort of knife now.

I was looking at the Benchmade Infidel line but that stuff is pricey and it looks like the mechanism could be inadvertently tripped in my pocket.  Has anyone heard of this happening?  I also saw that they had H&K-licensed auto knives for less than their Infidel line and the tripping mechanism looks harder to accidentally trip.  But, again, is worrying about that even an issue?

[URL=http://www.bladeplay.com/item--HK-Epidemic-Automatic-OTF-Knife--9931]Here's a link to the H&K OTF[/URL]

Are there any other brands I should be looking at that still have attractive prices?  I'm pretty excited about getting my first OTF knife.

ETA: And if anyone knows of a brand that has an easy-to-use safety that would be cool
I have a Microtech Ultratech with Bayonet style blade, they run about $225.00. I like it and intend to keep it, but if I get another one I 'll get the standard blade. Double action OTFs are not easily fired and won't trip in your pocket.HTH

Joe W.

If I was looking for an OTF auto, I wouldn't be looking at anything other than Microtechs (Just a personal preference).  Pricey?  Sure, but you probably wouldn't have a lot of trouble selling it after you have had it a while, and you would get back a decent amount of money.

I will put it this way, I have owned several Double action out the front knives, at least 20 different makes, a double action out the front knife means it uses a switch to both retract and deploy the blade, the only non custom DA Out the front knife on the market that uses two springs one for each action, is the Microtech Scarab,

They are currently the best built DA Production out the front knife and are worth their asking price, the Scarab are in my opinion the best you can get unless you spend a couple of grand on a full custom build

I will put it this way, I have owned several Double action out the front knives, at least 20 different makes, a double action out the front knife means it uses a switch to both retract and deploy the blade, the only non custom DA Out the front knife on the market that uses two springs one for each action, is the Microtech Scarab,
They are currently the best built DA Production out the front knife and are worth their asking price, the Scarab are in my opinion the best you can get unless you spend a couple of grand on a full custom build

Who has the best price on a Troodon or Combat Troodon ?

I see their Ultratech and UTX's are not priced too high either .... Edited by Fourtyfive

Who has the best price on a Troodon or Combat Troodon ?

I see their Ultratech and UTX's are not priced too high either ....

I am not all that wild about automatic knives, but my double edge Combat Troodon will be a knife that I will not part with.

• Like 1

Do these higher end versions actually lock up tightly side to side?

I've admittedly only handled cheapo OTFs, which of course had ridiculous side to side play, but seems like the inherent design itself would pretty much forestall really rigid lockup?

- OS

• Like 1

I've admittedly only handled cheapo OTFs, which of course had ridiculous side to side play, but seems like the inherent design itself would pretty much forestall really rigid lockup?

- OS

Yes , like a ROCK !

- OS

Yes sir.  In the case of autos, you really do get what you pay for.  Is a Combat Troodon really worth $400?  That depends.  If you are looking for a quality auto that has good resale value, yes, I would say it is worth it.  My personal preference, however, says it is not worth it.  I would much rather have a nice XM-18 or Sebenza instead of the automatic.  To be fair, automatics are not really my thing, so I am sort of biased.

- OS

my Scarabs both lock up extremely tight, there is virtually no play at all, of all the DA OTF knives I have ever owned they are the only ones I could honestly say that about, this is one of the reasons they are my favorite OTF DA knife

• Like 2