AR Pistol Build Thread - Complete!

Finally got around to starting my AR pistol build. Figured I would start a build thread and show off what I am putting on this. 
Plus, I need some opinions on what to do for the upper  :wave:

EDIT

============================================

Here is the complete build list.

Complete build list:

PSA lower

White Oak Armament LPK with ALG QMS trigger

Phase 5 Hex-2 buffer tube with Sig brace

Magpul MIAD grip

Magpul FDE trigger guard

Phase 5 bolt release

Battle Arms Development ambi safety in FDE

Seekins FDE mag release

Fortis QD end plate

Magpul MS3 sling set as single point

Anderson upper

Stroke Industries FDE dust cover

MAS Defense 10.5" barrel - 5.56 1:7 twist

.750 low profile gas block

Diamondhead VRS-T 10.25" rail

MAS Defense charging handle with G3 latch

Radical Firearms nitride BCG

KAW Valley Precision linear comp in FDE

============================================

Starting with a Palmetto State Armory lower. Using a White Oak Armament LPK with ALG QMS trigger.
20140822_123325.jpg
20140822_123953.jpg

Adding a Phase 5 Hex-2 buffer tube kit. Not really pictured, but using a Fortis QD end plate to mount my Magpul MS3 sling. And of course a Sig Brace.
That is a Magpul MIAD grip.
20140822_123520.jpg20140822_123920.jpg
20140823_121329.jpg

Phase 5 bolt release. It is not scuffed up, I wiped everything down with an oil rag and it didn't dry evenly or something - looks normal now.
20140822_123810.jpg20140823_121603.jpg

20140823_121338.jpg20140823_121613.jpg20140823_121409.jpg20140823_121353.jpg

You may have noticed a couple of parts are missing - selector and trigger guard. The parts should be here tomorrow. I went ahead and ordered a Magpul polymer FDE trigger guard even though I wanted aluminum (wanted the color to match, could not find a good answer on whose aluminum FDE guard would match my Magpul stuff). For the selector, went with a BAD-ASS in FDE - that is a Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector. 

Will get those installed once they arrive and add updated pictures.

Once the lower is finished, I of course have to add an upper and sights. After handling a 7.5" and 10.5" pistol, I think 8.5 or 9" would be ideal - problem is finding a barrel that length! Noveske has a barrel but it isn't cheap. I know someone is going to jump in and say go with .300BO, but I have no use for that caliber and want to stick with 5.56. 

If I can find a 8.5" barrel then great, as it seems like it would be ideal, otherwise probably stick with a 10.5". Would like to build it myself but don't have the tools so would need to find someone to help - haven't decided if I will build or just buy a factory upper yet. I like the Diamondhead V-RS rail - http://www.store-diamondhead-usa.com/V_RS_T_Free_FloatIng_Handguard_System_p/2211.htm but may find a FDE rail system or may stick with a standard black quad rail and add FDE ladders to match the lower furniture. So many options you know  :woohoo:

I am looking at the Diamondhead FDE flip up sights but may go with the much cheaper MBUS in FDE - if you have not shot with a diamond aperture you don't know what you are missing. They are a lot nicer than the standard round aperture, much more natural sight acquisition for me anyways. Depends on what I decide to go with for a red dot, may go with a Primary Arms microdot but haven't made up my mind.

Looking forward to thoughts and opinions on what I should do. Not sure the time frame for getting the upper, depends partially on if I decide to build or buy factory.

Edited by jonathon1289

Good start, I'm thinking of doing one myself.

I know of some good 8.5" barrels......but they're in 6.8 SPC

Yeah, pretty much all the 8-9" I can find are in 300BO or 6.8 SPC.

I am actually thinking about 6.8 SPC for my next rifle for hunting and longer range shooting. This pistol is going to be more of a range toy than anything.

Other parts arrived today! The lower is now finished...

Aded Magpul FDE trigger guard and a Battle Arms Development ambi selector in FDE. Their FDE is a bit darker but looks really good IMO. Got the Sig brace installed so ready to add an upper and start shooting.

20140825_161418.jpg20140825_165058.jpg20140825_165024.jpg20140825_165457.jpg20140825_165445.jpg20140825_165517.jpg

I can't wait to shoot it! Tempted to take my 16" upper and put on to test it out this weekend while I search for and decide on a pistol upper.

Now that you've already bought the grip :), I'll suggest down the road you consider swapping it out for the MOE K2. Amazing diff in comfort ergonomics for short LOP. They do make it in FDE so you can keep your color scheme. :)

- OS

I have the original MOE and it puts my hand too far back to easily flip the selector without moving my grip hand or using support hand. I had read a couple of comments on the K2 grip helping others, but walked into the LGS to test a couple and they had the MIAD - slid it on a lower really quick and looked at how it lined up, felt good so walked out with it.

I have the original MOE and it puts my hand too far back to easily flip the selector without moving my grip hand or using support hand. I had read a couple of comments on the K2 grip helping others, but walked into the LGS to test a couple and they had the MIAD - slid it on a lower really quick and looked at how it lined up, felt good so walked out with it.

Feels great in hand, but the point is the stress of the angles it will put on your arm and wrist with the short length of pull using the brace from the shoulder.

The more upright K2 models alleviate that, it really is an amazing difference for the small change in angle. It's why the AK grip with Warsaw length stock is at same angle.

I had regular MOE grip on mine with the SIG brace, but switched. I even changed to the K2 on my non-SIG braced pistol too, found much improved even when shooting with tube alongside cheek. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

- OS

• Like 1

I can't wait to shoot it! Tempted to take my 16" upper and put on to test it out this weekend while I search for and decide on a pistol upper.

Would that be considered building it as a "rifle" first before going back to a pistol? Does that matter?

Looks great!! I'll be watching this thread because I've had the itch for an AR pistol very similar to what you are doing. I think I will jump into the 300BO waters though with an 8" bbl. I really like that buffer tube

Would that be considered building it as a "rifle" first before going back to a pistol?

Not unless he changes the ass end to holding a stock on first config. Barrel length doesn't matter, federally.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Feels great in hand, but the point is the stress of the angles it will put on your arm and wrist with the short length of pull using the brace from the shoulder.

The more upright K2 models alleviate that, it really is an amazing difference for the small change in angle. It's why the AK grip with Warsaw length stock is at same angle.

I had regular MOE grip on mine with the SIG brace, but switched. I even changed to the K2 on my non-SIG braced pistol too, found much improved even when shooting with tube alongside cheek. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.

- OS

Thanks for the info, may check it out. Just holding the lower here in the house with the brace shouldered, the grip feels fine for me. But will see when I actually get to shoot it  :)

At the Mboro gun show I will see if I can find a K2 grip and check it out. I have a Troy CQB grip in the classifieds for sale, the grip it actually too small for me and Magpul/Troy FDE is way different and I couoldn't stand the difference.

Not unless he changes the ass end to holding a stock on first config. Barrel length doesn't matter, federally.

- OS

Ah, thanks. I'm still trying to learn all I can before I jump into my first pistol build. I guess I was thinking about the barrel and not the stock for some reason when considering whether a lower was first built as a rifle or pistol. Makes sense. Edited by Batman

Would that be considered building it as a "rifle" first before going back to a pistol? Does that matter?

Looks great!! I'll be watching this thread because I've had the itch for an AR pistol very similar to what you are doing. I think I will jump into the 300BO waters though with an 8" bbl. I really like that buffer tube

Like OS said, as long as don't put a stock on it first, good to go. Build it as a pistol and can swap back and forth, being careful not to have a stock and short barrel on at the same time.

Mine is built solely as a pistol, so if I mount the 16" upper it becomes a "firearm" from what I have read because of the length but no stock. These laws can get confusing quickly.

I thought about going with a 300BO but like I said I have no use case for it. A lot more work for reloading with cutting down the brass, and the caliber itself does little for me. Not going to suppress it, at close range for deer hunting the 5.56 works well, and for long range I have a 30-06. Would rather keep it a 5.56 upper for cheaper shooting.

• Like 1

Mine is built solely as a pistol, so if I mount the 16" upper it becomes a "firearm" from what I have read because of the length but no stock...

No, it's still a handgun at any overall length. Only becomes a non-NFA "firearm" if 26" or more OAL and you add a vertical forward grip. Magically becomes "handgun" again when VFG is removed.

None of the federal classification definitions have changed, the 26" OAL/VFG thang is just a interpretive exception to AOW classification definitions.

Here's mine in "firearm" config.

ARpistol-final.jpg

Without the VFG attached, it's just a pistol again same as my other one:

ARpistol-2nd.jpg

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot

Cool, thanks. I hadn't read very much into it but enough to tell I was legal either way.

Will probably throw that 16" upper on and fire a couple of magazines through it this weekend to test out the lower and see how I like the MIAD grip angle with the short LOP. 

Cool, thanks. I hadn't read very much into it but enough to tell I was legal either way.

Will probably throw that 16" upper on and fire a couple of magazines through it this weekend to test out the lower and see how I like the MIAD grip angle with the short LOP. 

Yeah, you'll need to actually be sighting with upper on it to get true feeling for the angles involved.

When you shoulder it and grip it, note your wrist/arm/elbow angle and tension, then move hand off grip holding fist closed at same place and angle beside grip while still sighting in, and then turn fist down about 10 degrees and you can get an idea of the difference on the K2. Maybe it's not enough of a diff to matter to some folks, but I like many others found it a rather dramatic diff. Matter of fact, I think I'd like an almost perfectly vertical pistol grip angle even better with this kind of short LOP.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Like OS said, as long as don't put a stock on it first, good to go. Build it as a pistol and can swap back and forth, being careful not to have a stock and short barrel on at the same time.
Mine is built solely as a pistol, so if I mount the 16" upper it becomes a "firearm" from what I have read because of the length but no stock. These laws can get confusing quickly.

I thought about going with a 300BO but like I said I have no use case for it. A lot more work for reloading with cutting down the brass, and the caliber itself does little for me. Not going to suppress it, at close range for deer hunting the 5.56 works well, and for long range I have a 30-06. Would rather keep it a 5.56 upper for cheaper shooting.

Good info, thanks! I'm glad I asked the question because it helped tie the legalities together for me.

As far as optics, I have been running a Vortex Sparc on my 3-gun rifle for over a year now without a hiccup.

Good info, thanks! I'm glad I asked the question because it helped tie the legalities together for me.

As far as optics, I have been running a Vortex Sparc on my 3-gun rifle for over a year now without a hiccup.

I almost went with a Vortex on my carbine but grabbed the Primary Arms microdot instead. I was thinking about another PA red dot for this pistol but may step up to a Vortex - have a couple of their scopes and love the quality, great value.

• 3 months later...

Finally was able to order the rest of the parts   :)

This is a 10.5" barrel. I decided the cost difference was not worth the inch shorter to go with the 9" or 9.5" barrel that I wanted.

Will get full pics and details up once fully completed. Have to get the rail (Diamondhead VRS T 10.25") cerakoted and find a different muzzle device - I picked up a Damage Industries 3 slot brake with dissipator sleeve and the sleeve is way too large to fit under my rail - I knew it was too large, but thought the threads would stick out past the rail enough to work. The slot in the brake doesn't fully clear the rail, I could shoot but would be worried about gas cutting the rail.

This device is 2.25" overall and the slots are about a half inch too close to the rail. I am looking at devices that are 3" in length now, thinking may have to grab a flaming pig or similar.

Here is a few pics. Will get the gas block/tube installed tomorrow and hopefully have the rail cerakoted Magpul FDE next week.

IMG_20141205_191912.jpgIMG_20141205_192118.jpgIMG_20141205_192039.jpgIMG_20141205_192128.jpg

Edited by jonathon1289
That's an awesome looking rail, what's the inner diameter there at the muzzle end? I've got a kineti-tec that's similar to your muzzke decice and it will clear the utg pro rail which is very slim indeed. Any way that's a great looking setup for sure. :up:
ID is 1.35".
I knew the DI projector muzzle device would not fit under the rail but doing the math in my head I thought the threads would clear the rail.
I got it for half price as part of their sale so no big deal.
Ordered a KAK slim flash can and a Kaw Valley linear comp in FDE - both of them are small enough to fit (per listed specs anyways).
  • Like 1