Bass Pro policy RE employees firearm possession in personal vehicle

With the opening of a new BPS here in Bristol, one of my son's friends applied for and was offered a position.  The last day of training, they were reviewing store policies, and the new employees were advised that they cannot store an otherwise legally-owned firearm in their vehicle while parked at the BPS - to do so will be grounds for immediate dismissal.  He questioned his understanding of the policy, and was told that he did understand it correctly - and that this was BPS's corporate policy.  He politely handed his "uniforms" back to the manager and told them that he would not be taking the position.

Hopefully, the Cabela's that is building a store just 6 miles up the road will have a bit more common sense.

• Like 9
Wait this BP is in Tennessee right? Just south of the line. Didn't the legislature pass a law saying permit holding employees could keep guns in cars? Also I agree with Erik, unless you're planning consent to allow your employer to search your car, I'd say their "policy" is a non-issue

best thing to do is keep it to yourself.  Always. Don't ask and don't tell.

I guess if I did not need the job I might walk away,  but then if I did not need the job why would I care if down the road I got fired for having a gun in my car?

• Like 3

Wait this BP is in Tennessee right? Just south of the line. Didn't the legislature pass a law saying permit holding employees could keep guns in cars?

If I recall properly, the law just states you can't be prosecuted for it; especially now that no permit is required to have a handgun in a vehicle. However, an employer can still fire you for any reason they choose.
  • Like 2

Wait this BP is in Tennessee right? Just south of the line. Didn't the legislature pass a law saying permit holding employees could keep guns in cars? Also I agree with Erik, unless you're planning consent to allow your employer to search your car, I'd say their "policy" is a non-issue

The change in state law in TN only  provides protection against criminal prosecution for such employee.  Does not affect employers ability to terminate.

RE carry by store employees - he was told that carry by a store employee was not allowed (open nor concealed).  Again, was purported to be corporate policy by store management.

As far as search permissions: I don't know. Good question.  I do know that each employee was told they could/will be searched before leaving the building after their shift. 

Good point on the firing and prosecution. Kind of like free speech, you can still lose your job. It's typical of retail to search your person when leaving to check for stolen property. Used to do that when I worked at Dicks in college. But I'd sure make them call the police and show probable cause to search my vehicle

Searching employees in retail is absolutely normal and understandable.    I agree with Lumber-Jack on the vehicle search.    - though it would depend on the LEO attitude in the city/county.  If they are known to be 2A friendly, no big deal.  If they are known to be against 2A... might be better to just say no and consent to leaving the property with termination.  If loosing the job isn't concern, in this economy, loosing the reference of a previous employer should be.

Bass Pro Shops have always been a little whacky anyway and even though I can drive to the one in Opry Mills in 40 minutes, I have only been in the store 5 times since it opened and I only went then because I was riding with someone else and they decided to stop in while we were close. I have no use for them. If I want something from mail order I use Cabela's or will find what I need at Academy Sports. I mean it is kind of quirky that they sell all type of firearms yet have an issue with their employees keeping a legal private firearm in their vehicle..................... :shrug: :shrug: 

Cops won’t search your car unless it’s an investigation into a criminal offense. Having a gun in your car is not an offense. The store can ask to search, you can refuse and they can fire you.

I’m sure this all driven by the lawyers and insurance companies.
  • Like 1

Parking lots bill only protects HCP holders...  parking lots posted per 39-17-1359 are still an issue for folks carrying under the car exception to 39-17-1307.

If I recall properly, the law just states you can't be prosecuted for it; especially now that no permit is required to have a handgun in a vehicle. However, an employer can still fire you for any reason they choose.

Edited by JayC

With the opening of a new BPS here in Bristol, one of my son's friends applied for and was offered a position.  The last day of training, they were reviewing store policies, and the new employees were advised that they cannot store an otherwise legally-owned firearm in their vehicle while parked at the BPS - to do so will be grounds for immediate dismissal.  He questioned his understanding of the policy, and was told that he did understand it correctly - and that this was BPS's corporate policy.  He politely handed his "uniforms" back to the manager and told them that he would not be taking the position.

Hopefully, the Cabela's that is building a store just 6 miles up the road will have a bit more common sense.

He needs to call the Lt. Gov., that was not his legislative intent, remember.  He should have taken the job, that then when they fired him, got Ron to stand up for him...

• Like 1

He needs to call the Lt. Gov., that was not his legislative intent, remember.  He should have taken the job, that then when they fired him, got Ron to stand up for him...

I wouldn't count on Ron to stand up for you.

I wouldn't count on Ron to stand up for you.

I was being very sarcastic.  Once one learns how these Moderate Republicans genuflect to the National  and State Chamber of Commerce, the reporting line, (which by the way does NOT include Citizens) is clear.

He would have quit within a few weeks anyway for something else. Most companies have a similar policy but I've not seen it enforced often. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Awfully harsh and judgmental thing to say about a young man trying to secure employment. 

I know when I worked at Walmart and Sears they both had the same policy and I broke them daily at each store I just didn't tell anyone.  The policy isn't in place because the business is anti.  They put the policy in place because it is a liability to the company if an employee was ever to shoot a customer be it accidentally, on purpose, or while taking down an active shooter.  The employee, in the eyes of the courts is an agent of the company so it sets the company up for an easy lawsuit. 

• Like 2

Awfully harsh and judgmental thing to say about a young man trying to secure employment. 

I know when I worked at Walmart and Sears they both had the same policy and I broke them daily at each store I just didn't tell anyone.  The policy isn't in place because the business is anti.  They put the policy in place because it is a liability to the company if an employee was ever to shoot a customer be it accidentally, on purpose, or while taking down an active shooter.  The employee, in the eyes of the courts is an agent of the company so it sets the company up for an easy lawsuit. 

That's what an umbrella insurance policy is for. I'm confident that large companies like those mentioned are carrying very healthy limits to cover an incident. Sticking up for one brave employee ought to cost them much less than several folks suing because of injuries suffered in an active shooter situation.

[quote name="10-Ring" post="1183491" timestamp="1409081026"]Awfully harsh and judgmental thing to say about a young man trying to secure employment. [/quote] Someone trying to secure employment would have kept their mouth shut like the rest of us that work in similar environments. There are very very few companies that don't have the same policy. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

...The policy isn't in place because the business is anti.  They put the policy in place because it is a liability to the company if an employee was ever to shoot a customer be it accidentally, on purpose, or while taking down an active shooter.  The employee, in the eyes of the courts is an agent of the company so it sets the company up for an easy lawsuit. 

I disagree here.  IMO, this shill argument falls apart when you are talking about storing an otherwise legally-owned firearm in your vehicle.  I can understand (not agree with, just understand) the argument with regards to CARRY IN THE WORKPLACE, but to extend that fear to a situation where the employee would first have to leave his work station, go to his vehicle, then return is stretching it too far.  Sounds like an creation straight outta MTAS...

But, following that argument for a second just for s***s and giggles:  if you, Mr Employer, cannot trust that employee YOU hired any further than that, then why on earth should I trust him to execute a transaction with your store...hmmm?

• Like 2

I disagree here.  IMO, this shill argument falls apart when you are talking about storing an otherwise legally-owned firearm in your vehicle.  I can understand (not agree with, just understand) the argument with regards to CARRY IN THE WORKPLACE, but to extend that fear to a situation where the employee would first have to leave his work station, go to his vehicle, then return is stretching it too far.  Sounds like an creation straight outta MTAS...

But, following that argument for a second just for s***s and giggles:  if you, Mr Employer, cannot trust that employee YOU hired any further than that, then why on earth should I trust him to execute a transaction with your store...hmmm?

A negligent discharge or an intentional shooting takes place at (fill in the name of the mega deep pockets business here) and someone gets seriously injured or killed. The sharks will be circling and many will think the victim deserves a payday. That’s what lawyers try to protect the businesses they work for from.

If the state wants to allow carry, or in the case of the parking lot bills, force allowing guns on private property; those same laws should give the businesses absolute immunity from even having to defend themselves in a civil suit. But that is not the case and I’m not sure they could do that.

Here is an example; I'm sure there are many more.
http://www.twincities.com/ci_22498303/minneapolis-family-accent-signage-shooting-victim-sues

That kind of falls apart too though. I've employed people I wouldn't let have a gun in my shop. There's a big difference between trusting someone to be on time and not steal, do their job effectively, and not sass customers and carrying a gun in a business I'm responsible for. I'd say Wally zero correlation actually.