Dove hunting

Okay, I've never really had to worry about having anywhere to hunt any game before but i've not had any luck finding a dove field to shoot for the last 3-4 years. I would be super appreciative if someone had a field that I could shoot with them Monday! I've got plenty of deer to hunt and would be happy to repay the favor with some deer hunting if that interests anyone. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here. Like I said, I've not had the opportunity to shoot dove in several years now so I am willing to do some driving so just let me know. I've got a neighbor that started chopping silage this morning so that could possibly pan out but i'm looking for something more dependable. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone go dove hunting yesterday? Cooler air coming in may have brought the doves down from up North. Cooler air mass coming in next week... may make for some extra good dove hunting. Also, I think there may still be a lot of uncut Corn and Milo in the fields. Sure would be nice to get some updates from different areas around Murfreesboro, and Middle Tennessee.

Another thing I've noticed on the two dove hunts I was lucky enough to have been invited on, is that the doves seemed to be smaller than the normal doves we see around middle Tennessee. Anyone else notice this? Also, I've not heard of anyone saying they have seen a lot of doves in the fields they have hunted. Could it be that the warm weather has kept them up north, and that the real migration has not really started yet? All opinions are welcome.

[quote name="Sidewinder" post="1188197" timestamp="1410302128"]Another thing I've noticed on the two dove hunts I was lucky enough to have been invited on, is that the doves seemed to be smaller than the normal doves we see around middle Tennessee. Anyone else notice this? Also, I've not heard of anyone saying they have seen a lot of doves in the fields they have hunted. Could it be that the warm weather has kept them up north, and that the real migration has not really started yet? All opinions are welcome.[/quote] Smaller birds usually mean young, local birds. All of mine were in this category. We usually see migrating birds in early October. They are bigger for sure. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A salute, to Luke E. and many thanks for putting me in a couple of dove hunts that got the ole adrenaline pumping and revealed how rusty I was on wing shots. Even with the embarrassment of so many dead doves flying away...I still had a great time, and enjoyed the excellent company. It was good to have a reason to clean my gun from a "real" hunt, and not just from clays or paper. Thanks Luke. 

A salute, to Luke E. and many thanks for putting me in a couple of dove hunts that got the ole adrenaline pumping and revealed how rusty I was on wing shots. Even with the embarrassment of so many dead doves flying away...I still had a great time, and enjoyed the excellent company. It was good to have a reason to clean my gun from a "real" hunt, and not just from clays or paper. Thanks Luke. 

I'm hoping to have the chance at some once the migration truly starts. I actually broke out a sweatshirt Saturday morning over in Wichita, KS and my mind immediately went to "I wonder if this will start pushing the birds down?" I had plans to sow wheat over part of a buddy's corn field once they got it shelled but who knows what my time is looking like now. I've got some news that i'll share here in the next few days. It's good news but will likely eat into my already slim diet of spare time. I will let you know if I get the chance to get back out to hunt some more birds in the next little bit though. I meant to call the friend today that owns the field we shot last to ask if they were still showing up for dinner but I completely forgot.

Another thing I've noticed on the two dove hunts I was lucky enough to have been invited on, is that the doves seemed to be smaller than the normal doves we see around middle Tennessee. Anyone else notice this? Also, I've not heard of anyone saying they have seen a lot of doves in the fields they have hunted. Could it be that the warm weather has kept them up north, and that the real migration has not really started yet? All opinions are welcome.

From what I understand, the weather this year is actually cooler (I listening to interview with one of the region's meteorologist on NewsTalk 987)

For example, in this area, Knoxville, by now would normally have had 34 days above 90 degrees F.  This year is cooler, with only 15 days so far (less than 50% expected).

From what I understand, the weather this year is actually cooler (I listening to interview with one of the region's meteorologist on NewsTalk 987)

For example, in this area, Knoxville, by now would normally have had 34 days above 90 degrees F. This year is cooler, with only 15 days so far (less than 50% expected).

It's has still been quite warm up north where the birds are/will migrate from so our average here in TN would have no bearing until their arrival. Now that might mean that it's cooler wherever they are as well but I'm pretty sure they don't factor in the average temp all summer. I may be way off but it seems like I remember reading some years ago that it had to do with the drop in temp rather than the actual temp and that the trees preparing to change factored in somehow.

It's has still been quite warm up north where the birds are/will migrate from so our average here in TN would have no bearing until their arrival. Now that might mean that it's cooler wherever they are as well but I'm pretty sure they don't factor in the average temp all summer. I may be way off but it seems like I remember reading some years ago that it had to do with the drop in temp rather than the actual temp and that the trees preparing to change factored in somehow.

Not according to NWS NOAA That's why I said "regional"

http://www.weather.com/news/july-2014-us-cool-indiana-arkansas-20140812

Sidenote - 16 years in a row the trend has been cooling.  Apparently this year has particularly messed with the global warming computer models.

Edited by R_Bert

Not according to NWS NOAA That's why I said "regional"

http://www.weather.com/news/july-2014-us-cool-indiana-arkansas-20140812

Sidenote - 16 years in a row the trend has been cooling. Apparently this year has particularly messed with the global warming computer models.

I guess my point is more that they don't seem to be as effected by a cooler than normal average temp as they are the beginning of deviation from that baseline towards the cooler side. Their migration is triggered by something and I'd say is has more to do with seasonal and temp change than it does a specific average. Again, I'm basing this on past experience and info from some older long time dove hunters as well as a TWRA officer that I used to be around a fair bit. All of their input could have been based on past experience as well so take it for what it's worth to you.