Where is TN? Very Good Reason To Buy More Guns

runco

Why are we not on this list?   Just goes to show why "we Tennesseeans" need to buy more guns.  That is what I am going to tell my wife why I recently bought another AR!  Very interesting article, not sure of how the data was comprised:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/08/31/take-a-gander-at-americas-most-heavily-armed-counties-the-ones-that-arent-on-the-map-might-surprise-you/

Take a Gander at America’s Most Heavily Armed Counties. The Ones That Aren’t on the Map Might Surprise You

Aug. 31, 2014 9:49am

Zach Noble

Maybe Texans don’t like guns as much as stereotypes have led us to believe.

A map, posted Saturday by Reddit user Ramesses_Deux, purports to show the 30 U.S. counties with the highest rates of gun-owning residents.

The state with the most gun-having counties appears to be a state that doesn’t have counties at all: Louisiana.

hKhNz7X-620x406.jpg

Image via imgur

Six Louisiana parishes rank in the top 30, with Idaho, Utah and Vermont also boasting healthy figures.

The list, per Ramesses_Deux:

Fairbanks borough, AK – 59.1%

Tooele County, UT – 59.1%

Nez Perce County, ID – 59.0%

Armstrong County, PA – 57.6%

Rapides Parish, LA – 52.8%

Teller County, CO – 52.3%

Darlington County, SC – 52.1%

Franklin County, VT – 51.7%

Randolph County, NC – 51.1%

Canyon County, ID – 50.9%

Anchorage Municipality, AK – 50.0%

Laramie County, WY – 49.6%

Davis County, UT – 48.8%

Yellowstone County, MT – 48.7%

Franklin County, PA – 48.5%

Pennington County, SD – 48.5%

Terrebonne Parish, LA – 47.9%

Ouachita Parish, LA – 47.6%

Florence County, SC – 47.6%

Orange County, VT – 47.0%

21. Calcasieu Parish, LA – 46.4%

22. Weber County, UT – 46.3%

23. Kanawha County, WV – 45.2%

24. Ada County, ID – 45.0%

25. Pulaski County, AR – 44.7%

26. Minnehaha County, SD – 44.7%

27. Westmoreland County, PA – 44.0%

28. Pinal County, AZ – 43.6%

29. St. Tammany Parish, LA – 42.5%

30. Caddo Parish, LA – 42.2%

As the original poster noted, the map is based on a City Data list of the top 101 U.S. counties by firearm ownership, but City Data does not give the source for the list’s information.

Reddit users were quick to note the unexpected results on the map.

“Not a single one is in Texas, that’s a surprise,” one user wrote.

The first Texas county on City Data’s list is Harris County at No. 73, where apparently just over 30 percent of residents have a home firearm.

Another Reddit user offered a theory for why Louisiana was so well-represented.

“Louisiana has a 2nd Amendment sales tax holiday, a weekend in which firearms, ammunition and, I believe, hunting supplies are tax free,” the user wrote. “As a former resident of Louisiana and gun owner I’m not surprised by the numbers, though I figured northern Louisiana would be better armed than the southern half of the state.”

Edited by Runco
How on earth would they even know who owns guns in free states where folks can buy firearms face to face? This is cute, but holds zero water, imho.

Sure, I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere, but I know a number of folks who've never filled out transfer paperwork but can still defend themselves if needed.
  • Like 5

How on earth would they even know who owns guns in free states where folks can buy firearms face to face? This is cute, but holds zero water, imho.

Sure, I'm sure I'm on a list somewhere, but I know a number of folks who've never filled out transfer paperwork but can still defend themselves if needed.

That's just it.  They must be going off of NICS data or somesuch.  Or a poll, which would most likely be flawed.  There is no way to factor in private sales.

• Like 1

That's just it.  They must be going off of NICS data or somesuch.  Or a poll, which would most likely be flawed.  There is no way to factor in private sales.

NICS is the only source they could get any info from that I can think of unless the ATF has records from gun stores sales but that would be no different than NICS.

Kind of funny since the states of Louisiana, Utah and Alaska had some of the highest numbers but don't have any sort of gun registry for long or hand guns. I think it might be some thing designed to bait gun owners that have not purchased any type of weapons since the back ground checks began. They like to say that they don't keep any records of would has background checks ran each day in Tennessee and that they destroy all applications that were approved and only hold those that did not get approved for a possible appeal for the denial. I wonder if the Feds do the same thing??????? I have never believe that the state did it so I am sure the feds keep them on their records......................jmho

I grew up in Randolph Co. NC. Lived there for 57 years. I was hooked into the AR culture there reasonably well. I've been here in Middle TN for a year and a half. IMHO there is no way there are more gun owners/interest in that part of NC than here. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk