I'm not happy with my pocket guns.

Will Carry

I jumped on the Pocket Pistol bandwagon a few years ago. I purchased a DB380, Sig P-238 and a Ruger LC9 and to tell you the truth, I'm not really satisfied with any of them.

Lets start with the DB380. It's ammo sensitive and doesn't like to operate while Limp Wristing. It's hard enough to find 380 ammo much less a certain brand.

What if I can't put a Kung Fu grip on it, like If I'm wounded or otherwise incapacitated?  The DB380 must go.

The Sig P-238: I love this little Honey! It's reliable, accurate, has a good trigger and night sights but it has too many catch points to pocket carry and I carry "cocked and locked". I wear it IWB but if I'm going to wear inside the wasteband, why not carry something bigger than a 380? I'll keep the Sig but If I could get rid of all my 380s, it would be one less caliber to have to worry about.

The Ruger LC9: This pistol eats any kind of ammo, it has never failed to fire and shoots a respectable round but it has the worst trigger I have ever squeezed. The trigger is so bad that I wonder if I could effectively use it in a SD situation.  Shame on you Ruger! You guys knew this trigger was bad when you made this gun.

Right now I'm carrying a Smith and Wesson J frame with a 3" barrel. It is everything I want in a small handgun but it's not a pocket pistol either.  I have decided to trade some or all of these and get a real pocket cannon. Any suggestion would be great.

Edited by Will Carry

I haven't had an opportunity to get my hands on an LC9s yet. But I'm a big fan of the double-action Ruger LCR. If you like the Smith J-frame, you may want to take a look at it. I think the LCR's trigger is better than a double action Smith j-frame. Also, they can be had on the cheap used.   

• Like 1

The Kahr PM9 is a good pocket carry and its more economical CM9 should be too. My PM9 has night sights and everything else is original. The Kahr's have a trigger somewhat like a revolver, long and smooth. Mine is extremely accurate, light, slim profile and a pleasure too shoot.

Edited by lshel
  • Like 3

I guess it depends on what is your definition of pocket carry.   Since you mentioned the LC9, I'm going to assume that still fits your size requirement.   That being said, I don't think you will be disappointed in a Shield once you give it a try.   

Edited by Trekbike

I jumped on the Pocket Pistol bandwagon a few years ago. I purchased a DB380, Sig P-238 and a Ruger LC9 and to tell you the truth, I'm not really satisfied with any of them.

Lets start with the DB380. It's ammo sensitive and doesn't like to operate while Limp Wristing. It's hard enough to find 380 ammo much less a certain brand.

What if I can't put a Kung Fu grip on it, like If I'm wounded or otherwise incapacitated?  The DB380 must go.

The Sig P-238: I love this little Honey! It's reliable, accurate, has a good trigger and night sights but it has too many catch points to pocket carry and I carry "cocked and locked". I wear it IWB but if I'm going to wear inside the wasteband, why not carry something bigger than a 380? I'll keep the Sig but If I could get rid of all my 380s, it would be one less caliber to have to worry about.

The Ruger LC9: This pistol eats any kind of ammo, it has never failed to fire and shoots a respectable round but it has the worst trigger I have ever squeezed. The trigger is so bad that I wonder if I could effectively use it in a SD situation.  Shame on you Ruger! You guys knew this trigger was bad when you made this gun.

Right now I'm carrying a Smith and Wesson J frame with a 3" barrel. It is everything I want in a small handgun but it's not a pocket pistol either.  I have decided to trade some or all of these and get a real pocket cannon. Any suggestion would be great.

I've had the same pistols as you feel the same way. I've kept the Sig but usually carry my J-frame Smith.

I had been eyeing the Kahr's as Ishel mentioned but I really like carrying a revolver. Another one I thought about is Kimber's Solo. BTW, you could save a lot by going with the new Ruger LC9s.

Edited by kieefer

The Kahr PM9 is a good pocket carry and its more economical CM9 should be too. My PM9 has night sights and everything else is original. The Kahr's have a trigger somewhat like a revolver, long and smooth. My is extremely accurate, light, slim profile and a pleasure too shoot.

Yup, my first choice for pocket carry years ago, have never had any reason to look further. Still nothing with 6+1 9mm capacity any smaller.  Amazing recoil dampening too, some kind of voodoo apparently.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

why not upgrade the sig to 9mm?   I don't get the snag thing, what snags except possibly the rear sight or dovetail, and those only if the pocket were extra tight?  Part of pocket carry is finding bigger pockets, IMHO.

Having shot most of them, the shield is a STONG #2 to the sig. 

Edited by Jonnin

I haven't had an opportunity to get my hands on an LC9s yet. But I'm a big fan of the double-action Ruger LCR. If you like the Smith J-frame, you may want to take a look at it. I think the LCR's trigger is better than a double action Smith j-frame. Also, they can be had on the cheap used.

I have a LCR and several j frames. The trigger may be one of the worst aspects of the LCR and I short stroke it all the time.

Don't forget the Walther PPS; excellent piece. What a Shield wishes it could be.

One of my family members has had a PPS since the day they hit Tennessee. I have always enjoyed it but for some reason it has more recoil than the Shield, and everyone agrees so. Other than that the Walther Police Pistol Slim is a fine firearm. Edited by Patton

If the 3-inch j-frame is truly everything you want in a small handgun, but not quite suitable for pocket carry, I'd probably go with either a S&W Airweight, Ruger LCR, or maybe a steel j-frame with a slightly shorter barrel, like a 640.  Pretty close to the gun that's everything you want, and much more pocketable.  You might also try the new LC9s - I hear the trigger is much, much better than the old LC9.

Edited by mhl6493
  • Like 1
I had the Sig 238 and had the same issue with catch points. I now have the Colt Mustang Pocket lite which has rounded edges and combat sights. It eats everything and has no catch points. I also carry the Kimber Solo 9mm. Its a similar size as the Mustang but striker fire. It is very ammo picky though. When I don't have enough pocket for either of those, I rely o. My trusty Seecamp. 32acp. Fits anywhere and was made for personal defense hollow points.

With the proviso that some cargo pants offer greater flexibility with respect to pocket carry of handguns I'll offer my $00.02 worth of insight. The LC9 proved itself a bit to large for pocket carry by me. I found the same to be true of the Walther PPK/s, KT PF9 and Colt Detective Special. S&W 2" J Frame Airweights are doable but feel bulky. The Ruger LCP, KT P3AT & P-32 work agreeably. I've also pocket carried a Beretta Jetfire Model 950 in 25 ACP and a Baby Browning (Bauer)  25 ACP's.

Now for some methodology; I tend to avoid wearing "tactical pants" and "cargo pants" because just like a fanny pack if your a guy of a certain age they highlight you as a probable gun carrier. I don't like that or want it, preferring instead to be the "grey man" in the back ground no one notices. There's a lot of merit to not drawing undue attention to oneself.  

So as much as I dislike pocket carry I find myself out and about with a LCP of proven reliability a lot more often than with a SA XDs9 or SR9

• Like 4

My everyday, step-out-the door gun is a S&W 642 in the front pocket.

I carried a Kahr PM9 for a while and really liked it (same place), but noticed that from unconventional positions (like on the ground after getting knocked on your ass) the rear of the slide would get hung up on some pockets during the draw.

I went back to the pocket-friendly 642.  

Admittedly, if I didn't carry there, I would carry something else. 

• Like 2

My everyday, step-out-the door gun is a S&W 642 in the front pocket.

I carried a Kahr PM9 for a while and really liked it (same place), but noticed that from unconventional positions (like on the ground after getting knocked on your ass) the rear of the slide would get hung up on some pockets during the draw.

I went back to the pocket-friendly 642.  

Admittedly, if I didn't carry there, I would carry something else. 

Excellent point! In-fight weapons access needs to be a consideration, imho.

I carry a Glock AIWB, but pocket carry a S&W Model 640 on my non-dominant side. The AIWB carry is markedly easier to access while in a tangle, on the ground, even with an adversary sitting on you (we used Glock 17-T's and Sims or Blue Guns for practice/training).

But that little 640 is doable. I run a Tyler T and Barami "hip grips" on mine. The grips increase carry location options.

My wife gave me the 640 in 1992 and it almost always with me and is the, imho, perfect handgun for non-permissive environments.

I like the fact I can have my hand on the grip, while pocketed, and do so in a non-threatening manner. But I guess that can be said about almost any viable pocket carry handgun.

I do "dress around" my weapons/tools. I wear Carhartt jeans daily and a version of those I choose that have moderately large front pockets. I am a "jeans & T-shirt" kind of guy anyway.

I carry in a Mika pocket holster. link: http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/index.html

Just and option and an opinion... 

SampW640_zpsd9333f2d.jpg

edited to add a better pic...

Edited by prag
  • Like 1