Traveling cross country with handgun

I will be driving cross country from Tn. through Kentucky, Illinois, North Dakota Wyoming, then the southern route back home. If a state does not allow handgun carry, what is the best way to transport the pistol while driving through that state? So far I believe Illinois is the only problematic state.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight from the horse's . . . .mouth?

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf

It's meant to be printed and tri-folded as a pamphlet, so start on the right and work your way through it.

Cliff's Notes version: separate the ammo from the handun (including emtying all magazines). Field strip the handgun and place the parts in a locked container inaccessible to the driver, preferably in the trunk if you have one.

Though this IL pamphlet doesn't say so, a similar one from NJ says don't make any stops that aren't necessary. Get gas, and keep moving.

Edited by monkeylizard

OK. At least for Illinois, and I would assume other states, the easiest way to  insure one was complying with the law was if the gun was    " broken down in a non-functioning state".  I just re-read the pamphlet, looks as though the pistol also has to be in a shut case.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Edited by robert45

I make occasional trips to southern IL.  Since I have a pickup truck without a secured box in back, I usually don't carry.  Two times I was in a car, I stopped at the Pilot truck stop in Paducah, KY off I-24 last exit before IL.  Unload my weapon, leave in locked postion put in a box and lock in a truck.  If passing through the southern part of that state, when I cross into Missouri, I make another stop and load my weapon and carry on.

Illinois law has changed since these brosh

Straight from the horse's . . . .mouth?

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/transgun0-000.pdf

It's meant to be printed and tri-folded as a pamphlet, so start on the right and work your way through it.

Cliff's Notes version: separate the ammo from the handun (including emtying all magazines). Field strip the handgun and place the parts in a locked container inaccessible to the driver, preferably in the trunk if you have one.

Though this IL pamphlet doesn't say so, a similar one from NJ says don't make any stops that aren't necessary. Get gas, and keep moving.

1. With the new permit law in IL, things have changed in IL, brochure doesn't seem to reflect that.

"(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:

(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;

(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under  the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and

(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection ( b ) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13; 98-600, eff. 12-6-13.)"

2. Also, of course, the federal "safe passage" part of FOPA still applies as long as you are just passing through IL, and only stopping for gas/food, not sightseeing or stopping overnight.

"18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

So, re: the last post. If I or my wife drive through Illinois, as long as I(who will be the only one carrying and I do have a Tn. HCP)do not leave the vehicle, I will be in accordance with the law? The vehicle we will be driving is a minivan, with no separate trunk area.

So, re: the last post. If I or my wife drive through Illinois, as long as I(who will be the only one carrying and I do have a Tn. HCP)do not leave the vehicle, I will be in accordance with the law? The vehicle we will be driving is a minivan, with no separate trunk area.

According to everything I've read, that is correct. IL state sites like the state police have had that in FAQs which I've read, but seems they've decided to keep it quieter now, links I had are dead, even some internal links on IL state police site are now invalid. Typical of IL obfuscation, seems.  But there are plenty of other references. One of beau coup at random:

"The new law doesn't contain a reciprocity provision, meaning Missouri concealed-carry permits and those of other states won't allow carrying in Illinois unless the holder also obtains an Illinois permit. However, the law does contain a "drive-through" provision that allows licensed carriers from other states to travel through Illinois with their guns kept in their vehicles without getting an Illinois license."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/concealed-carry-ushers-in-new-era-for-illinois/article_57bb4047-284b-55e9-81e5-bb274f5a06bc.html

Remember, my legal advice is always worth what you've paid for it. :)

However, FOPA is quite clear regarding the unloaded firearm transportation requirements for merely passing through.

edit: here's an official "state.il.us" web address reference,  published by GOP part of the senate there:

http://www.senategop.state.il.us/Portals/0/Concealed-Carry/13%20Concealed%20Carry%20Report.pdf

"Non Residents are allowed to transport a

concealed firearm within their vehicle without

a permit, provided they have a valid out-of-

state permit. If the vehicle is left unattended,

the firearm must either be in a locked

container or the vehicle must be locked."

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Thanks OS. I went to St. Louis and back yesterday for a Cardinals game (5-4 win over the Pirates. Go Cards!) and left my heater at home because I didn't want to have to deal with IL and its stupid laws. That new change will make the decision to go back for more Cardinals games easier.

Yeah, I know about the left turn at Paducah that only puts me in IL for about a mile at Fort Defiance, but that adds an hour round-trip to an already long day.