Man detained for carrying shotgun in Gallatin.

Guilty of DUI or not, it's a shame that one single offense could cause someone to loose their pilot license for life.

Did you read what Dave posted? It isn't loss of license for life.

In fact, now that I'm reading back through what he posted, he shouldn't have been denied at all for a reckless driving conviction. The only thing regarding DUI is if the BAC was over .15 (which is pretty drunk).

The only other disqualifier would be refusing to submit to an breathalyzer.... so I guess that answers our question. Once again, he is responsible for his mistakes. From what I gather I can only assume he refused the breathalyzer and the FAA told him to pound sand. Not only do I not feel bad for him, but I wish horrible things on this drunk driving POS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was he offered a breathalyzer test?   If he was and refused or he failed the test, the Judge had an easy ruling for the case.  If the evidence was there to convict, why was it reduced to a lesser charge?  If the officer suspected him of DUI and offered proper testing, the officer did nothing wrong. A burned out headlight alone, doesn't equal a reckless driving conviction, but that's a Judge's duty to decide if the evidence is there for a conviction.  If the case was plead to a lessor charge, he had legal defense to advise  and represent him.  Acting like a fool by carrying a shotgun in town isn't going to help his case with the FAA.

Edited by tnhawk

Was he offered a breathalyzer test? If he was and refused or he failed the test, the Judge had an easy ruling for the case. If the evidence was there to convict, why was it reduced to a lesser charge?

Because he was given the option to plead out by the DA. That's how they do business, and the reason why criminals never get the punishment they deserve. Lawyers on both sides try to keep it from going to trial.

I get it, since it was his first offense the DA probably didn't want to have his life ruined, especially since he appeared to be a productive member of society in getting his pilot's license. The fact that he was not convicted of DUI, yet still was denied his on his application means there is something else going on here. The only other explanation is that he refused to submit to a breathalyzer. In that case, we know he was driving drunk. Not only that, those are the rules that were in place before he chose to drive drunk and before he chose not to submit to a breathalyzer.

You don't get to break the rules, then bitch because you suffered the consequences of breaking the rules. This is the problem with Americans. Whiny as hell and always blaming others for the circumstances they created for themselves.

Dear lord, I hope this jackass never gets his license. Anyone here want this mentally unstable drunk flying your plane? No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Illegalities of his actions aside, this guy has very obviously displayed a tendency toward terrible decision making and lousy impulse control. No way in hell he should have a commercial pilot's license.

Fortunately, the FAA agreed that he didn't have the mental stability to hold a commercial pilot license. 

• Like 1