.45 ACP Cast Bullets

Do any of you Middle TN casters ever have extra .45 ACP (.451/.452) bullets? I am looking for unlubed bullets to powder coat, my previous supplier went out of business. Specifically 200gr to 230gr round nose. I size after coating, so they could be as cast if the mould is pretty consistent.

Wasn't sure if this should be here or in the classifieds, I'm not sure that I would be buying/trading for bullets yet, just wanted to reach out and try to get some contacts and we can talk offline or private message if needed.

If you know of any online stores that sell unlubed cast bullets for a good price please let me know. There does not seem to be a huge difference in cast bullets and cheap plated from Xtreme from what I am seeing now. I have looked at Falcon, Missouri, SNS, and Lucky 13 and prices, especially with shipping from a couple of the places that do not offer free shipping, are very close to plated.

I wish I was setup to cast my own, but unfortunately that is not an option at this time. I do not have the space in my garage, especially with a young kid running around. Thanks for any info!

jonathon;

It sounds as though you possibly don't want to cast them yourself, but I just wanted to say it is incredibly easy and will save you a bundle in the future.

We (our group) started casting and powder coating this year, and I wish now we hadn't waited so long. We can actually afford to shoot now. :up:

Another option, if you can find affordable lead lubed bullets is to simply melt the lube ring off in an oven. I believe it was Dolomite that I first saw mention this.

nonetheless, whatever your decision, best of luck and success to you.

• Like 1
Thanks Photoguy, I think David only deals in plated/jacketed bullets but I can check at the gun show.

Prag, when I move I hope to have room to cast. Right now I just don't have the space for any other equipment or really even a spot to work in as my garage is packed.

I have melted lube off, and even powder coated over light lube, but neither way seems to work as good as using as cast bullets.

Red, that is a great offer and if I had a place to cast I would gladly take you up on that. My other problem though is finding lead, the few tire shops I have checked at already have someone taking their wheel weights.

I reached out to a couple of online store yesterday before posting here to see if they would sell unlubed bullets. If I hear back from any of them that may be my best route.

If you know of any online stores that sell unlubed cast bullets for a good price please let me know. There does not seem to be a huge difference in cast bullets and cheap plated from Xtreme from what I am seeing now. I have looked at Falcon, Missouri, SNS, and Lucky 13 and prices, especially with shipping from a couple of the places that do not offer free shipping, are very close to plated.

I wish I was setup to cast my own, but unfortunately that is not an option at this time. I do not have the space in my garage, especially with a young kid running around. Thanks for any info!

Missouri puts a lube on theirs but you *may* be able to ask for some unlubed ones (they seem to be willing to work with you).  The trick to buying from them is to buy the right amount per order as they fill a flat rate shipping box.  I think 4 standard boxes (500 each) fills a flat rate box and that is a good starting point for getting a decent shipping price. 

Missouri Bullets offer that option:

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=21

1.  The difference in cost is slight between lubed and coated bullets from them.

2.  Contact Falcon and ask if they could cast a thou and set them aside before lubing.  This saves them money that they might pass along to you.  

3.  At normal .45 ACP velocities, tumble lube is great, no need for plating or coating.

You are more than welcome to come by my place & cast all you want. It will give you some experience before you buy your own setup.

I have lots of clean lead. Not to sell but you can have all ya wanna cast.

Warning I only have a 2 cavity Lyman mould for the 45, so 1000 will take a spell.

Shoot me a text if ya want. I may not get on here for a couple days.

Edited by xd shooter
  • 3 weeks later...

I never found a great deal on un-lubed bullets but was fixing to order some from Rocky Mountain Reloading or SNS - both were $90/1k shipped.

However, I was looking on a Facebook reloading group the other day and found a smoking deal on some lubed bullets. This is a full medium flat rate box after I combined the shipment - 2500 lubed/sized .452 bullets. Got these shipped for $30 per 500  :up:  :up:

These will last me a little while! Unsure if I will melt the lube and coat, powder coat over the lube, or shoot as is. May do a bit of all.

20140920_145343.jpg

Edited by jonathon1289
  • Like 1