Palmetto State 308 Upper

mcordell

AHHHHHHH......,  SH***********TTTTTTTT!    :panic:   

Just when I was thinking of getting out of the 3Gun Heavy Metal division because I didn't want to run an optic on my FAL or M14.  This thing comes along.

Well - - -  wonder how much Fun Money I have remaining for this month!   :whistle:  

AHHHHHHH......,  SH***********TTTTTTTT!    :panic:   

Just when I was thinking of getting out of the 3Gun Heavy Metal division because I didn't want to run an optic on my FAL or M14.  This thing comes along.

Well - - -  wonder how much Fun Money I have remaining for this month!   :whistle:  

Always enough fun money for another gun. :)

you start running an AR308, I'll bring mine. GAMMMEEEEEE on heavy metal division! 

Tempting...

Well I just couldn't organize enough personal resistance.....  :hyper:

Place my order last night for the upper, a  stripped lower, and a build kit. 

Reckon I better start stocking up on M80 ball ammo.   

Thanks to mcordell for the heads up!  :up:

AND to 173rdABN - - -  "Shooter Ready...., Standby......"

• Like 1
So get this guys at around 2am last night this upper was $499!!!! It was indeed a price error but Palmetto is going to honor the price for those who were lucky enough to order between about 2am and 5am

Thats why they took the link down and its no longer listed on the website ….

Props to Palmetto for honoring the price mistake though Edited by mcordell

So get this guys at around 2am last night this upper was $499!!!! It was indeed a price error but Palmetto is going to honor the price for those who were lucky enough to order between about 2am and 5am

$499!    :dropjaw:

I knew I went to bed too early last night......

• Like 1

Got all of the PSA parts in - - -  Got it all put together yesterday - - - Got it to the range today.

Call this the Proof-of-Principle configuration.

The PWS break/hinder came off an FN SCAR 17.  I added a MAGPUL fixed carbine stock and an extra Larue APEG grip that I had.  Also installed some MI panels that I had left over from another build.  The Millett 1-4 scope in an ADC scout mount is borrowed off one of my other 3Gun ARs. 

2zebhg9.jpg

The rear BUIS came out of my spare parts bin, I mounted it to see if it would clear the scope.

x60h9c.jpg

I pulled the stock off of my Light Weight AR to see if it would fit.  The PSA 308 carbine tube is about an inch longer that the standard carbine length and the MAGPUL did fit.  I may still go with a rifle tube and A1 stock to balance out the firearm. (Did a test fit of an A1 stock and realized that the shape of the MOE butt plate is so much better)  It seems just a hair nose heavy to me right now.  Noted today that PSA now has a slim profile barrel for this upper.

sosirt.jpg

Fired about 50 - 70 rounds of M80 7.62 ball ammo.  No issues with function.  Recoil was on par with my soft shooting FAL, far less than my M14, and much better than my G3 (my least favorite 7.62 battle rifle).  Groups were in the 1 to 1.5 inch range and that was using the Millett's Donut-Dot Reticle.  No problem hitting the 10 inch plate at 200 yards.

173rdABN also fired the gun and pronounce fit for Heavy Metal 3Gun duty so long as I replace the "SH*TY" stock trigger.

2ywbwpz.jpg

I Really Like This Firearm!

Funny...., wasn't even thinking about an AR in .308 less than two weeks ago. 

Edited by DMark
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Too cool - what's the thing weigh?

10lbs, 5oz Empty

11lbs, 12oz with 20 round mag.

Happy that I don't have to hump it any farther than from my 3Gun buggy to the starting position.  However, all that weight does help with the recoil.

One of the funny things that I have noted is that after near 4 decades of running M16/M4/AR 5.56 based weapons - - - everything seems to be 1/8 to 1/4 inch more of a reach for my fingers due to the 308 dimensions.  

Fired about 50 - 70 rounds of M80 7.62 ball ammo.  No issues with function.  Recoil was on par with my soft shooting FAL, far less than my M14, and much better than my G3 (my least favorite 7.62 battle rifle).  Groups were in the 1 to 1.5 inch range and that was using the Millett's Donut-Dot Reticle.  No problem hitting the 10 inch plate at 200 yards.

1- 1.5" with surplus ball ammo?!?!?  Were those 5 shot groups from the magazine, or single load?  Wonder what it would do with match ammo...

I'm really looking forward to seeing this thing in action Sunday!

1- 1.5" with surplus ball ammo?!?!?  Were those 5 shot groups from the magazine, or single load?  Wonder what it would do with match ammo...

That was single load off a bench rest with a three shot group at 100 yards.  Yea, I was very surprised with that good of a group as was 173rdABN.  I didn't try to duplicate it, I think my comment while checking the group through my spotting scope was "OK - - - I'm stopping now!"   I haven't tried it with any match ammo.  The hits on the 10 inch steel plate were from the prone position un-supported at 4X on the scope.  I didn't attempt to see how it grouped at 200 yards. 

I forgot - which barrel length did you choose? It's hard to tell with that long handguard.

Its a 16 inch barrel with a Midwest Industry 15 inch tube. 

That was single load off a bench rest with a three shot group at 100 yards.  Yea, I was very surprised with that good of a group as was 173rdABN.  I didn't try to duplicate it, I think my comment while checking the group through my spotting scope was "OK - - - I'm stopping now!"  

You're a Highpower shooter, right? I thought all you guys can put TEN shots into the x-ring without even thinking about it! You're even an "old-school" Highpower shooter that's not afraid of the 30 cal. ;-)

I'm interested in hearing more feedback on this.  A .308 AR for under a grand?  Dear Santa...

Have you tried replacing the trigger yet?  I read that a lot of people are having difficulty getting aftermarket triggers to work with these guns.  

I'm interested in hearing more feedback on this.  A .308 AR for under a grand?  Dear Santa...

Have you tried replacing the trigger yet?  I read that a lot of people are having difficulty getting aftermarket triggers to work with these guns.  

I should have more feedback after this Sunday's 3Gun match in Manchester.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/81978-3-gun-at-middle-tn-shooters-10-5-14/

It seems that all AR308 based guns have problems with aftermarket triggers.  It has to be based on the larger size of the BCG.

Over on ARFCOM there is a thread on issues using a Geissele SSA-E. 

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/253728_PA_10_and_Geissele_SSA_E___NOW_IT_WORKS__.html&page=3

To Geissele's credit, they have jumped on the problem and have developed a fix.   Their modification requires .015" off of the tail end of the hammer under the sear which is a non critical area of the hammer.  Geissele Customer Service has posted on ARFCOM that instructions are being written that will make this an easy DYI.

I'll have to shoot this Sunday's match with the stock trigger, but I plan to order another Geissele for this AR as soon as I get a look at their fix.

I saw this thing in action yesterday, and even got to shoot a little rapid fire with it (thanks again, DMark!). It performed very well, and although the trigger would take a little getting used to it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be given the comments I've heard so far. It's very useable and competitive right out of the box.