Walking Dead spinoff

NextExit

I'd really like them to put a WWZ spin on it,

Do vignettes on the story but advance the story timeline.   Lots of possibilities with that plan.

I think star actors and actresses would line up for it.

They have done a little of that in on-line 'webisodes'.  Remember the dessicated, crawling zombie that Rick saw as he was leaving the hospital then later came back and shot in the head?  There was one, done in a few parts, that showed her as a living woman and told the story of how she became a ripped-up zombie (Spoiler alert:  She and her kids were being chased by a group of zombies while trying to make it to one of the military camps in the early days of the outbreak - she got bitten on the arm and told the kids to run while she stayed behind to slow down the mini-swarm so her kids could get away while they ate her.)  Pretty good stuff.

If they are going to insist on doing a spin-off (as spin-offs sometimes work and sometimes just 'water down' the concept so much that the original doesn't last much longer) I think it might work to do something along those lines with it.  Maybe not focus on the same survivor/group of survivors but, instead, show us a different group every few weeks.  Maybe even pick some of the more interesting zombies (like the young guy in the suit in Atlanta) and tell their stories.  Maybe even show that many people/groups wouldn't make it by focusing on a group for a couple of weeks then killing them all off while having other groups/individuals survive longer so that there is even less of a guarantee that a character will survive one week to the next than on the original.  That way there would be room to develop the characters and story while keeping the main focus on the action rather than getting bogged down in 'soap opera' storylines.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

i never saw the webisodes.   Where would I find them?

Here is a link to part one of the webisode I was talking about on the AMC site.  You should be able to get to the other parts from there - I think there are six parts to this story, altogether. 

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/the-walking-dead-webisodes-1-a-new-day

If you have trouble getting the episodes to play from the AMC site, (I did just now - the pre-video ad would play but then the 'loading' animation just kept going over and over) it looks like they are all available on YouTube (I ended up going there to watch the last part again before I posted about it to refresh my memory about exactly what happened to the woman.)

http://www.youtube.com/show/thewalkingdeadtornapart

At this link, parts 3 and 6 don't show up in the list at the top but they do show up in the list at the bottom.  I think the webisode was done well and it is worth watching all the parts.  I think doing a spin-off in a similar manner could work (with the focus changing to different survivors from time to time, maybe revisiting some later and killing off others, so that some people/groups survive longer than others.)

Honestly, though, I would not be surprised if the focus of the spin-off is on The Governor.  There are already two or three novels that tell his back story and how the person he came to be (more or less the person Rick and the gang met) is almost literally a different person than he started out being.  As those novels are already a spin-off of the comics and/or television series (although they are different because in the novels he meets the sisters that were in last season of the series quite a while before he arrived Woodbury) I would think it would be pretty easy to spin them off into their own show - not to mention that the folks doing the show seemed very reluctant to let go of the Governor character (even when they should have.)

Another possibility for 'inspiration' for a spin-off could come from the video games - the ones that have nothing to do with any of the characters from the original group.  Heck, again with a possible spoiler, at the end of the first game (the only one I have played so far) the player character dies (or ends up as a zombie, depending on what you tell the main NPC to do.)

Edited by JAB
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, no. It's going to be like all the other cop and CSI shows on TV now, where one show becomes popular so they fire up another one with a similar name but in a different city. It'll be Walking Dead - New York, and Walking Dead - L.A.

I'm putting in my order now for Walking Dead - D.C.  :up:

• Like 2

Oh, no. It's going to be like all the other cop and CSI shows on TV now, where one show becomes popular so they fire up another one with a similar name but in a different city. It'll be Walking Dead - New York, and Walking Dead - L.A.

I'm putting in my order now for Walking Dead - D.C.  :up:

That would be pretty boring, watch CSPAN to see all the walking dead you can stand. DC has been overrun with zombies for decades now.

• Like 2

Looks like a prequel.  Maybe not a strategic "here's what's happening worldwide" WWZ-style show, but showing how individuals are starting to react to these events surrounding them.  Interesting.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3314813/meet-characters-walking-dead-spinoff-tv/

Having said that...just how long was Rick in a coma?  How far could they stretch a prequel?

Edited by Spurholder