And now Panera joins the ranks of the noncommital statement

On second thought, Panera probably did the right thing. They didn't start the issue and they don't want to alienate any of their customers. They're trying to make a profit and stay in business.

I'll cut them a little slack.
  • Like 2

I will take it.   As long as they do not post the sign, I am satisfied.  What did you expect, for a national chain to alienate 50% of its potential customers with a hard line stance (either direction??).    The economy isnt so good that a business can afford to do that.  And at the end of the day, they just want to sell you food and make a profit without any politics.  

And as far as it goes,  going neutral IS standing up the to morons against guns movement.  Those groups want 100% police state and will settle for nothing less, so ignoring them with a neutral stance is both a victory for us (esp considering we have no movement that is organized and loud) and a defeat for them.  And again, its good business practice.  I know if I owned a (not gun related) business that operated in NY and CA and the other police states, I would not want to drive my customers away with my personal views.   I would rather take their money and recycle some of it to a pro-gun group on the side :)

On second thought, Panera probably did the right thing. They didn't start the issue and they don't want to alienate any of their customers. They're trying to make a profit and stay in business.

I'll cut them a little slack.

I will take it.   As long as they do not post the sign, I am satisfied.  What did you expect, for a national chain to alienate 50% of its potential customers with a hard line stance (either direction??).    The economy isnt so good that a business can afford to do that.  And at the end of the day, they just want to sell you food and make a profit without any politics.  

And as far as it goes,  going neutral IS standing up the to morons against guns movement.  Those groups want 100% police state and will settle for nothing less, so ignoring them with a neutral stance is both a victory for us (esp considering we have no movement that is organized and loud) and a defeat for them.  And again, its good business practice.  I know if I owned a (not gun related) business that operated in NY and CA and the other police states, I would not want to drive my customers away with my personal views.   I would rather take their money and recycle some of it to a pro-gun group on the side :)

I think you both have valid points and agree that Panera's response and similar responses may be just an example of them trying to give the best reaction to a bad situation.  Still, while their response and actions don't rise to the level of prompting me to refuse to do business with them,  I don't think that this reaction is entirely innocuous nor is it entirely neutral.  By even giving lip service to the, "We request customers not bring their guns," bullsnot they are - however mildly - endorsing the idea that people who are carrying firearms are 'undesirables'. 

A truly neutral stance would have been, "Panera attempts to create a welcoming environment for all customers regardless of religious or political beliefs.  Our focus is on providing the best quality food and beverages, not on taking political stances.  Therefore, on this issue Panera will continue to defer to state and local laws."

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

You have a good point JAB. The thing is all these businesses are hearing is the anti Gun side of this issue!!! They may be pro gun people getting their ears pinned against a wall by groups like Anti Gunners like MAD and not hearing anything from any Pro Gun Organizations. Maybe we need to see about finding a Pro gun Organization to work with at the same level as MAD does and throw our support behind them.................Just an idea  and.....................jmho I have been able to swing some small business owners primarily eateries to remove their gun buster signs and going with "Concealed Carry Only signs but it's start. The only real complaints and reasons for the Gun Buster signs was their fear of long Guns showing up and I just told them that it's really hard to conceal a Double Barreled Shot gun and normally they kind laugh and say I see your point. Many take down the signs before I leave.

They're trying to make a point, they are trusted to walk around with a loaded rifle ready to go to war...  but accidentally uncover your pistol and you're a criminal.

The only thing Open Carry Texas is ready to "go to war" on is the local Golden Corral judging by the looks of many of them.

I think you both have valid points and agree that Panera's response and similar responses may be just an example of them trying to give the best reaction to a bad situation.  Still, while their response and actions don't rise to the level of prompting me to refuse to do business with them,  I don't think that this reaction is entirely innocuous nor is it entirely neutral.  By even giving lip service to the, "We request customers not bring their guns," bullsnot they are - however mildly - endorsing the idea that people who are carrying firearms are 'undesirables'. 

A truly neutral stance would have been, "Panera attempts to create a welcoming environment for all customers regardless of religious or political beliefs.  Our focus is on providing the best quality food and beverages, not on taking political stances.  Therefore, on this issue Panera will continue to defer to state and local laws."

I guess I can agree that Panera is not being entirely neutral. At the same time, this is such a meaningless response that I don't see why some (especially on FB) are making such a fuss about it.  I occasionally eat at a Panera and I've no plans to stop doing so. Also, there are plenty of places who are truly hostile to civilian carry; those are the businesses that need to be avoided (in my opinion). :)

[quote name="Jonnin" post="1188439" timestamp="1410353829"]agreed but its in context. If they DON'T say "please leave it at home" they will be invaded by morons toting rifles. [/quote] What ever could you mean??? That has neeeeever happened before, has it? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed but its in context.   If they DON'T say "please leave it at home"  they will be invaded by morons toting rifles. 

Unfortunately, that is probably true, as well.  Some of the most outspoken 'supporters' of firearms carry are, ironically, hurting the cause as much as or more than its declared enemies.

I guess I can agree that Panera is not being entirely neutral. At the same time, this is such a meaningless response that I don't see why some (especially on FB) are making such a fuss about it.  I occasionally eat at a Panera and I've no plans to stop doing so. Also, there are plenty of places who are truly hostile to civilian carry; those are the businesses that need to be avoided (in my opinion). :)

Yeah, as I said, I don't see boycotting Panera (or Target, etc.) for such responses.  Of course being that I go to Panera maybe once every 1.5 years and to Target maybe twice a year, I doubt they would miss my business if I did.

Edited by JAB
[quote name="Mike.357" post="1188477" timestamp="1410360150"]it was robbed after hours when a delivery was being made. Not sure what it has to do with Paneras stance on guns.[/quote] The fact it is a gun free zone. Two employees were still there. I assume Panera's new policy extends to employees as well? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote name="Mike.357" post="1188480" timestamp="1410360950"]it is not a gun free zone. They don't post and press releases certainly carry no force of law.[/quote] Oh c'mon, you know what I mean. Let us have fun with the irony of them telling customers to leave their guns at home and them being subsequently robbed at gun point. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

at any rate even if it was posted it would have not stopped an armed pair of criminals, they weren't customers.

at any rate even if it was posted it would have not stopped an armed pair of criminals, they weren't customers.

I don't think I have ever see a lot of armed robberies take place by customers in restaurants................. :shrug: 

Has anyone been thinking how coincidental it is that right after a new business becomes a Gun Free Zone that within a week or two the Gun Free Zone is tested with an armed robbery. It's almost like the criminals are thanking the business for making their lives safer and easier..................jmho

• Like 2

I don't think I have ever see a lot of armed robberies take place by customers in restaurants................. :shrug:

I was searching around based on this (edit: Actually the Pharmacy) thread trying to look up a robbery which had taken place in Nashville against a customer at outside seating. I couldn't find a reference but I did find this.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/13758936/2-suspects-hold-40-east-nashville-restaurant-customers-at-gunpoint

Edit: Haha, literally one minute walk from the Pharmacy on the same block

https://goo.gl/maps/4zjIr

Edited by tnguy
  • 1 month later...

Well, they opened up a Panera Restaurant about 1/2 mile up the road from my house. It's been open about 1.5 weeks and I have went by several times and there are no Gun Buster signs on any of the doors or entrances.  Are they still Gun Free or have they changed their minds?     Inquiring mind wants to know. Hate all the new road traffic it has caused also. 

Edited by bersaguy

Make sure to try the milquetoast.

Thanks but I doubt I will be eating there.  If I eat out it is IHOP or I cook my own. Kasey is really getting to fat on Pancakes with all that sweet stuff on them so we have been cutting back some................ :up: :up:

I will take it. As long as they do not post the sign, I am satisfied. What did you expect, for a national chain to alienate 50% of its potential customers with a hard line stance (either direction??). The economy isnt so good that a business can afford to do that. And at the end of the day, they just want to sell you food and make a profit without any politics.

And as far as it goes, going neutral IS standing up the to morons against guns movement. Those groups want 100% police state and will settle for nothing less, so ignoring them with a neutral stance is both a victory for us (esp considering we have no movement that is organized and loud) and a defeat for them. And again, its good business practice. I know if I owned a (not gun related) business that operated in NY and CA and the other police states, I would not want to drive my customers away with my personal views. I would rather take their money and recycle some of it to a pro-gun group on the side :)

I wish more people would understand this thought process. It's simply a business decision on their part. As long as they don't post a sign, I'll remain a customer.
  • Like 1