Civil Unrest Thread got me thinking.

I'm sure we all have thought about what guns and ammo we need if bad things happen. I read a thread today about what guns we would need, but what about our homes? Most of us can't just leave with the family in tow if civil unrest strikes us suddenly. If that happens I'm sure those that are attacking will also have guns and will be shooting into our homes. Has anyone thought about this? We all know most guns will shoot right through our walls and door. Any thoughts?

I don't think they will just randomly be shooting into homes.  They will be looking for food, water, drugs etc as they move from the urban areas.  So if you stay, block all but one entrance (the back one should stay open) and don't leave signs that say "come take my stuff".  If they do come, take em at the door.  Same scenario then as a home invasion.  If they are in really large groups, your screwed anyway unless your neighborhood comes together with a defense plan.  I'm not staying to develop that plan.  Not defensible here.

• Like 1

That is what I like about where I live. My neighbor directly in front of me is a retired former Special Forces Ranger served in Iraq and his house if fortified and has outside camera's with monitors inside. My house is made of Concrete Blocks all the way to the roof. I have security lighting that lights up my yards like a foot ball field and makes my targets easy to see at night. Jack up front and I have a plan and we do have a buzzer connected to each others house so if one needs help there is only a door separating my house from his and this is an L shaped triplex with me in the rear. He and I have been planning for a SHTF situation and they may get both of us but we ain't going quietly and there will be some dead along with us..............................jmho

• Like 2

Do you and your neighbor have back up generators?  In a truly screwed up situation, not to mention EMP attack, there is no power to anyone.  I guess we may be mixing a "civil unrest" situation with the bigger SHTF scenarios.  I'm not worried about the bigger city populations being pissed off about something. 

• Like 1
Honestly, there is no practical way to be prepared for something that in all probability will not happen. That does not mean not to think of a plan with what you have, but if you allow paranoia to run your life you will waste alot of money on things you will never use.

Its wise to have a few days rations, water and a few survival items and a self defense plan with weapons and ammo. The most probable thing to happen is a natural disaster, tornado, earth quake, volcanic eruption etc so those things can help you survive for a bit. Learning survival techniques is also important, and not off some reality show; honest hands on training with firearms and improvised methods included.
  • Like 2

I think about this all the time too, but more towards doors and windows. Not saying I'm happy that rounds will go through the house, but once a window is broke it's broke. Once someone busts the front door it's busted, although you can block it with other items even if not as sturdy. I'm far enough away from Nashville that the worst of it would hopefully not make it to me until I had time to get moved to the planned hold up location. That of course depends on gridlocked highways and whatnot. 

But as mentioned above, I'll be shooting back....heavily!

• Like 1
[quote name="Randall53" post="1188684" timestamp="1410399937"]I find that amazing. People spend thousands of dollars on survival food, water, guns and ammo, yet most live in a home that most firearms would shoot right through.[/quote] Why? What else folks gonna do? Build a bunker into the side of a hill. Build a fortress with a mote filled with sharks with laser beams on their head. Hard to do on most incomes. Hell, I live in a cinderblock home, but it's still susceptible to fire, artillery, dragons and Skynet Hunter-Killer craft. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Why? What else folks gonna do? Build a bunker into the side of a hill. Build a fortress with a mote filled with sharks with laser beams on their head. Hard to do on most incomes. Hell, I live in a cinderblock home, but it's still susceptible to fire, artillery, dragons and Skynet Hunter-Killer craft. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess because if your dead, all that money spent was for nothing?

I guess because if your dead, all that money spent was for nothing?

I don't follow.  Are you saying that I should liquidate my retirement accounts, investment accounts, kids' college funds and all personal property so that I can afford to live in an impenetrable fortress that can stop bullets and be defensible in the event of total societal breakdown? 

I do have a friend who has a concrete wall with "ports" that overlooks the only entrance to his property. The only road into his property is about 1,000 feet long and he can easily take care of any vehicles that might come up.

If someone were really worried about it they do make ballistic blankets for pistol calibers. It would not be difficult, but would be expensive, to line a single room with AR500 steel. Don't really need floor to ceiling coverage, just high enough to hide behind and maybe shoot from. A single sheet of AR500 steel that was 4'x4' cost me a little over $200 so it would cost several thousand to do a room but it is definitely doable.

My house has no protection, I thought about concrete block filled with sand but decided that was too expensive. Besides I live in an area where I could easily leave the house without being seen and over watch the house while hiding in the woods.

I'll worry more about things like cancer. 

I realize that it is good to be prepared, but the chances of being the victim of an armed siege which I am single handedly defending, then surviving armed siege (regardless of defenses or what my house is made out of) are about the same as the same as having Jennifer Anniston show up at my front door to give me a BJ and make me a sammich. 

• Like 5

I'll worry more about things like cancer. 

I realize that it is good to be prepared, but the chances of being the victim of an armed siege which I am single handedly defending, then surviving armed siege (regardless of defenses or what my house is made out of) are about the same as the same as having Jennifer Anniston show up at my front door to give me a BJ and make me a sammich. 

You mean she hasn't got to you yet? I'll send her along soon. :devil:

I am with you on that, I am worried more about storms than I am full out armed defense.  Having said that, I am prepared to defend my family and home in the off chance of a home invasion type scenario.  Being retired military I have plenty of training and gear to put up a heck of a resistance even to the most determined foe, but I am no fool.  If someone wants to get you bad enough and is willing to trade their lives for yours, or its a large enough group it will be a bad day, no matter how well prepared you are.

• Like 3

Do you and your neighbor have back up generators?  In a truly screwed up situation, not to mention EMP attack, there is no power to anyone.  I guess we may be mixing a "civil unrest" situation with the bigger SHTF scenarios.  I'm not worried about the bigger city populations being pissed off about something. 

Jack has one and I have one and his runs on diesel and mine runs on gas and we have back up fuels for both and even have set up to exhaust them out side through roof. I have had generators since back in my racing days for working on car in the pits after dark. Jack bought his about a month after he returned home from Iraq.

• Like 1

You mean she hasn't got to you yet? I'll send her along soon. :devil:

I am with you on that, I am worried more about storms than I am full out armed defense.  Having said that, I am prepared to defend my family and home in the off chance of a home invasion type scenario.  Being retired military I have plenty of training and gear to put up a heck of a resistance even to the most determined foe, but I am no fool.  If someone wants to get you bad enough and is willing to trade their lives for yours, or its a large enough group it will be a bad day, no matter how well prepared you are.

Well, I started out just preparing for a home invasion type situation which seems would be the most likely scenario these days. Your possibly looking at 3 perps trying to come in and one get away driver. That is why Jack and I have the buzzers to each others homes. If one or the other has an issue help is only a buzz away and stopping three guys trying to kick my metal door and metal door frame in will give me plenty of time to stop them as soon as the door opens if it opens. Even as slow as our police response time is even they would arrive before they would get the door open unless they use explosives. I have a great relationship with my land lord and as long as I'm paying the bills he pretty much lets me modify my cottage as I want to as long as it looks nice.  If it is a riot and a gang then things will definitely get interesting and rules of engagement will be modified accordingly.....................jmho

Well, I started out just preparing for a home invasion type situation which seems would be the most likely scenario these days. Your possibly looking at 3 perps trying to come in and one get away driver. That is why Jack and I have the buzzers to each others homes. If one or the other has an issue help is only a buzz away and stopping three guys trying to kick my metal door and metal door frame in will give me plenty of time to stop them as soon as the door opens if it opens. Even as slow as our police response time is even they would arrive before they would get the door open unless they use explosives. I have a great relationship with my land lord and as long as I'm paying the bills he pretty much lets me modify my cottage as I want to as long as it looks nice.  If it is a riot and a gang then things will definitely get interesting and rules of engagement will be modified accordingly.....................jmho

I think of it like this; run-of-the-mill home invasions they are looking for a quick buck because they think you have money on the premises, or tweekers wanting to check your medicine cabinet.  Armed resistance will more than likely have them on the run quickly. 

Home invasions where they have a purpose, say they know you have a large collection of weapons they or their gang can use, drugs and the money that goes with it, jewelry they seen you or your wife wearing etc.  In this scenario they will come prepared, this is the one that is less likely for me, as I don't have anything like that in the house and I don't or would not advertise if I did.  This is one where a saferoom or some such is warranted, but since its expensive setup only those with a high likelihood of these occurrences can afford one.

Riots, civil unrest etc.  As has been said, not very likely and only those that are near a flashpoint need to worry about this.  If a home/store owner downtown or near a courthouse or some other high probability area, its best to vacate the area.  This is where a sidearm and a rifle/shotgun may come in handy if rioters try to prevent you from leaving in a hostile way.

Natural disaster, most likely scenario.  If its a localized event, say a tornado or medium to large storm.  A sidearm to protect your property from looters would more than likely be sufficient.  A chainsaw and generator will come in handy until power is restored or until you can pack whatever is left of your belongings and get to a permanent/semi-permanent shelter. 

If its a large event like say a meteor strike, super volcano, or another katrina storm then its more of a survival like scenario.  Food, water and shelter with weapons to protect what you have will be needed for as long as it takes until national guard or other organized help gets in and settles things down.  If its a world wide killer asteroid like event, well I guess I go looking for Jennifer Anniston to keep me company until the end.