Cop asked to leave Waffle House

I use to eat at them often till they became a Gun Free Zone an have not been in one since and won't be going back. I am slowly developing a feeling of not going back to many places that go Gun Free unless they change their minds within 30 days of the error of their ways........................jmho

• Like 2

I still have yet to see a posting or any other indication that guns are prohibited in any Waffle House at which I have eaten.  I have certainly seen no, such posting at my local Waffle House.  I don't eat at Waffle House all that often because the food they have is extremely easy to make at home and if I go out to eat I'd rather have something that I couldn't make, myself, in the time it takes the server to take my order (although I do like the hash browns at WH and rarely fool with making those at home.)  The fact that I don't stay out late or drink much, anymore, probably has curbed the frequency with which I eat there, as well (although even now it is usually late in the evening if I get a Waffle House craving.)

I have carried at the local Waffle House several times and it has never been a problem.  Of course, I generally carry at least 'casually' concealed so the staff likely never even knew I was carrying.  Being that the place is not posted, meaning I am legal to carry there, I figure that as long as I know I am carrying then that is good enough.

I realize that the story in the OP here was different, though, because it involved an officer in (field) uniform.  I am just saying that I think that a lot of the 'no gun' nonsense depends on where the particular Waffle House is located and how strictly the franchise owner decides to enforce it.

Edited by JAB

Yea JAB, that is what some folks don't understand and that is only about 25% of the Waffle House restaurants are actually owned and operated by the company with 75% being franchise operated. Each franchise owner sets his own store policies as long as they stay close to Waffle House policies. The Local Waffle House here in town is not posted and the one out at I-40 and Hwy 109 is also not posted. I have CC'd in both of them many times. If I owned a restaurant of any kind all forms of Law Enforcement in uniform, out of uniform with just badge and ID and even out with family would eat free in my place. That would be the least I could do for those who lay their lives on the line everyday protecting my family , my business and my home. I don't know if that manager in Texas is in a franchise or company operation but either way he would be back fry cooking on the grill for a while if he is so stupid that he cannot recognized a field uniform and see a gold  badge next to the gun and then still tell the officer to leave after the officer proves he is a police office Texas State Trooper. That would mean he surely would not recognize a Texas Ranger as most of them look like cowboys...............jmho  

The police should be treated exactly like anyone else IMHO.   If guns are not allowed, they are not allowed.  A police state can be defined by having one group that is armed and another that is disarmed.   Giving special consideration to officers is WRONG and is a step in the WRONG direction.  

• Like 3

About 4 months ago went to the WH on Old Hickory Blvd in Hermitage and saw the post at the door. So i walked away and went down to Stewarts Ferry and they had the same sign. I opened the door and asked the manager if they new about the sign and she said no. I told here that she needs to let her boss know that it is driving Law abiding citizens like me across the street to the Cracker Barrel. At that point i went to CB and had a much nicer meal than i would have got at WH. Checked the new WH in Donelson out about a month ago and no sign.   

• Like 3

I lost any desire to eat at WH when I was doing service work in HVAC and had a few WH restaurants to service their rooftop HVAC units. I couldn't believe you could make a cheapo featherlight air filter and make it weigh 2+pounds with food grease in just 2 weeks. Nevermind cleaning that crap out of the evaporator.

The police should be treated exactly like anyone else IMHO.   If guns are not allowed, they are not allowed.  A police state can be defined by having one group that is armed and another that is disarmed.   Giving special consideration to officers is WRONG and is a step in the WRONG direction.  

I agree, but this is in Texas where citizens aren't allowed to open carry. The manager didn't see the badge and asked dude to leave.

Pretty much this. If that waffle house is posted with a gun buster, I don't see that the employees did anything wrong regardless of who he is; they were just being unintentionally uniform in their policy. Exclusionary policies are by definition discriminatory in some way, shape, or form.

"When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal."- Nixon

After reviewing these results on youtube, I think I'll only patronize the ones that let me carry: (Yes, I'll admit I've been to a WH where I've had to leave my gun in the car :shhh: :blush: )

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=waffle+house+customer+shoots+armed+robber

Can't believe there's one where a guy tried to rob them with a pitchfork! :stunned:  Let's ban pitchforks!! :up:

Pretty much this. If that waffle house is posted with a gun buster, I don't see that the employees did anything wrong regardless of who he is; they were just being unintentionally uniform in their policy. Exclusionary policies are by definition discriminatory in some way, shape, or form.

"When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal."- Nixon

Love the new avatar Ted.................... :up: :up:

• Like 1

Are you an HCP holder? If so you get special consideration.
  • Like 1

Posted areas do not give special considerations to HCP holders, unless Texas makes exceptions.

The point is, the carry permit gives you special considerations to carry at all, both here and in Texas. LEOs get more consideration in both states.

"Everyone is equal, but some are more equal than others".

You're more equal than the public at large, and a LEO is more equal than you. ;)

- OS

• Like 1

A gun won't protect you from Waffle House food.

That's the truth.  The worst place I've ever attempted to eat.... I mean the WORST place EVER... was a Waffle House in Columbia, SC.  I can rarely recall a time when I couldn't finish my food, but that was one of them.  A friend and I walked out and left our "food" on the table.  I'm actually surprised we didn't get ill from eating a few bites of what was served.  I can't furnish details, because it's been over 10 years since.  But that sticks out in my mind.  I do remember the next morning we went to an IHOP and felt like we were dining at a 5-star restaurant.  

I don't think I've been to a Waffle House since.  Unless I was coerced.