Bipod on an AR15?

Guest TheSilverFox

Guest TheSilverFox
I have a 16 inch heavy barrel that I would like to put a bipod on. It has an aluminum picatinny front. I plan on using it for yotes and possibly deer. I've never had a bipod on a gun before so I'm looking for suggestions. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but I want something well built.

I have a 16 inch heavy barrel that I would like to put a bipod on. It has an aluminum picatinny front. I plan on using it for yotes and possibly deer. I've never had a bipod on a gun before so I'm looking for suggestions. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but I want something well built.

I have a Harris bipod for mine, but only used it once or twice.  Its just too heavy, relative speaking for anything but a defensive position.  For yotes or prairie dogs I use a shooting stick, like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester-Shooting-Stick/16662943 because it works and is pretty cheap.  You can also go the DIY route: http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1747974

If you are set on a bipod I like the Harris ones but there are a few out there now that are as good but cheaper.

I have several of the ones from Wally's, including the current "Blackhawk" version, and one Harris basic non-panning one on ARs and 10/22s.

Function virtually identical, cheapos have held up fine.  Panning ability is what puts you into whole 'nother price range.

Use a QD rail adapter, and comes on and off in a jiffy for convenience:

$(KGrHqJ,!qgFGemcnmqbBRw3utHtYw~~60_35.J

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have several of the ones from Wally's, including the current "Blackhawk" version, and one Harris basic non-panning one on ARs and 10/22s.

Function virtually identical, cheapos have held up fine.  Panning ability is what puts you into whole 'nother price range.

Use a QD rail adapter, and comes on and off in a jiffy for convenience:

$(KGrHqJ,!qgFGemcnmqbBRw3utHtYw~~60_35.J

- OS

That's a nice one, I use a similar one up front for my sling; who makes it?

That's a nice one, I use a similar one up front for my sling; who makes it?

Mine two or three are  different "no name" versions off eBay, all have been fine. Are adjustable for tension on the nut on end.

I use a similar riser only type for QD of a vertical forward grip on my AR "pistol/firearm" also.

~$15 from US sellers, half that from the PRC ones.

- OS

edit: fuzzy crops to show:

bipod:

BipodMount.jpg

VFG:

VFGMount.jpg

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I have a cheap one that collapses into a forend grip.  Its stable enough for the 50-100 yard aimed shots.  Its not really sturdy enough for super rapid fire, but for $30 it does well enough.  I have shot a few hundred rounds thru it with the bipod extended for bench rested & prone shots.

Be sure to get one that accommodates your mags.  If you have large mags, and a short bipod, it don't work too good. 

not sure how but I happened upon 3 of the harris bipods, so I thought I would do some looking around and found on the harris website that they now offer a swivel mount for the biponds.  Now it can be said that they are proud of their stuff by the prices they charge.