AR muzzle devices...got input?

BigK

I want a linear compensator instead of a flash hider/muzzle break. I like the suppressor-like effect it creates by redirecting the sound downrange, but realize it doesn't really suppress the sound.

I'd rather splurge on the handguard and stock that I got picked out for now, so the Noveske KX3 that I want will have to wait. But I have been looking at several others that I like pretty good.

1) The Kineti-Tech boasts that it's the best of both worlds with a muzzle break inside of the sleeve. I like this one, but hear you really need a clocking nut to get it tight and time the breaks to point directly to the sides.
2) The Kaw Valley Precision is just a simple linear compensator, but the fluting is kind of cool.
3) The KIES Blast Master is a name brand that I've heard good things about, but it's the ugliest one in the group (if all else is equal, why buy one I think is ugly?).
4) The DPMS Levang is kind of no frills, but popular (from what I've read). It's biggest downside is that you have to have a strap wrench to install it, b/c it has no flats for a wrench.

Anyone use any of these? Edited by BigK
I've got a Levang, and absent from your list a KAK flash can.

I like the Levang for what it is and where it is. I use it on a fairly heavy DMR style rifle where muzzle flash and recoil are all but absent. For that I feel it does a fine job directing the noise away from shooters and others at the firing line. It is really no frills, the finish isn't great, but passable, I hit it with some chalkboard paint so it would match my barrel which I also painted. As too installing it without tools, call me crazy but I don't have a problem with it. I cranked it on by hand as hard as I could and the used Allen wrenches in the ports to create some leverage to tighten it a bit more. It can still come off if I really torque down on it, but so far it hasn't worked loose at all. YMMV.

Now idk if the KAK can just doesn't fit the criteria your looking at, but it does a pretty good job with directing the noise also. I haven't used it much with 5.56, just a few rushed rounds to test it out. I'd consider it worth looking at, just keep in mind that it is heavy little sucker.

I'm looking at some of the others you have listed too so it will be educating following this thread.
I've ran the KX3 on a 7.5", and I'm currently running the Kaw Valley on my 10.5". I can tell you without a doubt that I'd never spend the money for a flaming pig again. It's heavier, more expensive, and if it does a better job of directing sound it's marginal at best. I like Noveske stuff a lot, but I won't get another pig
  • Like 1

I bought a cheapy from amazon expecting to get what I paid for. I used it for 3gun, and it worked great. I don't have an expensive one to compare it to, but it definitely reduced the muzzle rise and made for faster follow -up shots. I'll try one of the bigger names some day, but for me this one is better than a flash hider at $16.46 shipped. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C6O5BV6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1
[quote name="Batman" post="1190107" timestamp="1410835077"]I bought a cheapy from amazon expecting to get what I paid for. I used it for 3gun, and it worked great. I don't have an expensive one to compare it to, but it definitely reduced the muzzle rise and made for faster follow -up shots. I'll try one of the bigger names some day, but for me this one is better than a flash hider at $16.46 shipped. [url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C6O5BV6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C6O5BV6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url][/quote] He's wanting a linear compensator
  • Like 1
Thanks guys, now I have 2 more options I didn't know about.

I see you have a pattern preference since they almost all have the same look. I use the Simple Threaded Device, cheap but effective: I have this on my 300Blk but also have a 5.56 version which I haven't tried yet.

This looks promising and it's dirt cheap too. You say it does a good job of directing noise/gas downrange?

Now idk if the KAK can just doesn't fit the criteria your looking at, but it does a pretty good job with directing the noise also. I haven't used it much with 5.56, just a few rushed rounds to test it out. I'd consider it worth looking at, just keep in mind that it is heavy little sucker.

That KAK flash can looks JUST like the Noveske. I see what you mean about weight though. I need to go back and check the others now to see how heavy they are. Not sure I want to add over 1/4 pound to the end of my barrel.

I've ran the KX3 on a 7.5", and I'm currently running the Kaw Valley on my 10.5". I can tell you without a doubt that I'd never spend the money for a flaming pig again. It's heavier, more expensive, and if it does a better job of directing sound it's marginal at best. I like Noveske stuff a lot, but I won't get another pig

This is exactly what I was hoping for, someone with head-to-head comparison experiences. I'd have assumed that for 2 or 3 times the price the pig would be way better. If you can only tell a slight difference, I don't see any reason to shell out the kind of money Noveske is asking for...especially if it adds 4 or 5 oz to the end of my rifle.

How's the weight on that KVP comp? With the fluting, I'd suspect it's at least 25-30% lighter. Did you have to use a crush washer?

I'm running Kies on a 5.56 and a .308 AR' s . Have been happy with them.

Nice! Also good to know, since this is one of the least expensive options and it comes in a little lighter too (less than an oz, but every little bit helps, especially when it's on the end of the rifle).
Guest kingarmory

If you'd be willing to provide some feedback, I can send you KA-1222A free of charge.  Through-hardened 4140CM and nitrided finish, you'll be hard-pressed to find a tougher part out there.

Picture031-1.jpg

[quote name="BigK" post="1190134" timestamp="1410839526"] How's the weight on that KVP comp? With the fluting, I'd suspect it's at least 25-30% lighter. Did you have to use a crush washer?[/quote] I don't have an exact number, but it's light. I can't see it weighing more than an A2 flash hider, but I have no precise way of measuring. As for the crush washer, the device doesn't have to be timed at all so I don't think you should need one unless the threading on your barrel is so long that it won't butt up against the shoulder. I used one purely out of habit I think
[quote name="kingarmory" post="1190139" timestamp="1410841568"]If you'd be willing to provide some feedback, I can send you KA-1222A free of charge. Through-hardened 4140CM and nitrided finish, you'll be hard-pressed to find a tougher part out there.[/quote] That is 100% badass of you to offer that and I sincerely appreciate it. I'm several paydays from finishing this build, but I'd be honored to slap that bad boy on one of my other 2 and put a bunch of rounds through it and provide feedback.

It's biggest downside is that you have to have a strap wrench to install it, b/c it has no flats for a wrench.

I wouldn't let this stop you from getting a muzzle device that you like.  If you don't already have a strap wrench, it would be a good excuse to get one.  I use a strap wrench on all my muzzle devices and flash suppressors.  No worries about getting little scratches on them with a strap wrench, plus I use it for all kinds of stuff that I hate using wrenches on.  Just used one to install two shower heads, then turned around and used it to tighten a castle nut on a virgin lower.  They're great and only a few bucks.

• Like 1

Guess the 4 piece Bulgarian isn't what you are looking for?  Not sure how much "compensator" you are after versus how much aesthetics towards the Noveske.  Would need to find one in correct threads or an adapter though.

23959-2T.jpg

Edited by viscero

Guess the 4 piece Bulgarian isn't what you are looking for?  Not sure how much "compensator" you are after versus how much aesthetics towards the Noveske.  Would need to find one in correct threads or an adapter though.

23959-2T.jpg

At nearly $100 and weighing in at 1/2 pound, this wouldn't make my short list, but it's pretty cool looking. I'm sure the sheer weight of this thing alone would all but eliminate muzzle rise, LOL.

At nearly $100 and weighing in at 1/2 pound, this wouldn't make my short list, but it's pretty cool looking. I'm sure the sheer weight of this thing alone would all but eliminate muzzle rise, LOL.

Looks like the end of a hose, an expensive hose.

Thanks guys, now I have 2 more options I didn't know about.

This looks promising and it's dirt cheap too. You say it does a good job of directing noise/gas downrange?

That KAK flash can looks JUST like the Noveske. I see what you mean about weight though. I need to go back and check the others now to see how heavy they are. Not sure I want to add over 1/4 pound to the end of my barrel.

All I can compare it to is the birdcage, but yes it is noticeable. With my ARs there is not much kick so not sure of any compensation qualities but I was able to keep the muzzle on target very easily with my 300 the other day.
  • Like 1

I finished my build not long ago and was looking at all that was out there as well, and also what would work with a can when I have the funds to do a trust and found Izor Armory they just came out with one that will work with the cans that they make,  i have purchased the Flash device from them but as yet have not tried it to give any input, you might want to look at it although it might not be what you are looking at just thought i would through it out there.   

That KAK piece is bad ass and almost 100 bucks less than a hogs breath kx unit thanks for posting that!

I think they're making a slim model now too that should be a bit lighter also. Worth looking into at least, although the one dolomite linked looks very cool too for around the same price. Decisions decisions.