Shipping Gun Parts via UPS?

runco

Okay folks do I need to apologize to that UPS Store clerk that would not ship my gun parts that I sold on ebay?  She said it was UPS policy not to ship gun parts, and when I pushed, she said it was the UPS Store policy, and when I pushed harder, she ignored me and went to the next guy?   I kinda showed my rear a little in frustration, and left.  Not proud of my actions, but I was frustrated.

So folks was she right? 

My parts were misc. parts from an old pistol, 75+ years old, no receiver frame. 

If there is no frame or receiver with a serial number, then legally it is not a gun. Simple as that. It may be 'machine parts' or 'spare parts', but the serialized part is the firearm. 

UPS guidelines differ from UPS Store guidelines. You can ship firearms and ammo from a UPS Hub, but the UPS Store policy doesn't allow it. 

I hate dealing with my local UPS store. They tend to have a "holier than thou" attitude & have extra fees for shipping from the store. I usually ship my parts by USPS Priority mail. It costs less, comes insured w/tracking, is faster, & they don't hastle you over what's in the box. If you want to use UPS you have the option of printing up a shipping label & dropping it off with a delivery driver, which I have done in the past. It's usually cheaper & most drivers are friendlier to deal with. Like another member said, you can also tell them it's tools or machine parts. I don't like the idea of telling lies, but IMO it's none of their business anyway as long as you're not shipping something illegal.

• Like 2

Nothing in federal law or even as far as I know in UPS Terms of Service forbids shipping gun parts as long as the part is not the firearm itself.

Bigger question is: why did you tell them what was in the package?

Also, being eBayer, you could have simply used UPS account to print label and drop it off, no interaction required beyond  a nod. If you haven't activated free UPS account yet, then use USPS from PayPal seller account, print label and drop off. It it'll fit in box, you don't need to interact with PO personnel at all. If it won't, you can just drop it at USPS counter without waiting in line.

If for some reason you don't know how to do any of that through eBay/PayPal, you can use USPS Click 'n Ship online from their site to pay an print a label, though it's not as cheap a rate or with as many class options as available through eBay seller account.

Short answer is: you'll get a doofus about half the time with interaction with any given UPS, FedEx, or USPS  humanoid behind a counter.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

Nothing in federal law or even as far as I know in UPS Terms of Service forbids shipping gun parts as long as the part is not the firearm itself.

Bigger question is: why did you tell them what was in the package?

Also, being eBayer, you could have simply used UPS account to print label and drop it off, no interaction required beyond  a nod. If you haven't activated free UPS account yet, then use USPS from PayPal seller account, print label and drop off. It it'll fit in box, you don't need to interact with PO personnel at all. If it won't, you can just drop it at USPS counter without waiting in line.

If for some reason you don't know how to do any of that through eBay/PayPal, you can use USPS Click 'n Ship online from their site to pay an print a label, though it's not as cheap a rate or with as many class options as available through eBay seller account.

Short answer is: you'll get a doofus about half the time with interaction with any given UPS, FedEx, or USPS  humanoid behind a counter.

- OS

I don't normally ship items, the wife does this.  Today, I had to go to doctor, and there is a UPS Store real close.  So I had the packages ready, and thought this would be a simple matter vs. using the ebay version.  While I was in store, the clerk simply asked what was in the package, and I said antique gun parts.  The genie was out of the bottle before I realized it, and of course, the genie could not go back in!  She said NO can ship.

I don't normally ship items, the wife does this.  Today, I had to go to doctor, and there is a UPS Store real close.  So I had the packages ready, and thought this would be a simple matter vs. using the ebay version.  While I was in store, the clerk simply asked what was in the package, and I said antique gun parts.  The genie was out of the bottle before I realized it, and of course, the genie could not go back in!  She said NO can ship.

Well, like peeing on an electric fence, bet you won't do that again, eh? ;)

- OS

• Like 4

- OS

I had one tell me he could ship a box of ammo out no problem over the phone. I got there and he seemed... Incompetent, yet so sure of himself I thought he owned the place. He told me that he didn't keep omrd labels on hand, (after a brief search) but that the driver would have one with him.

Being content to even find a place that didn't get crappy with me over the phone about it, I paid and left. I got a call the next day explaining that my package needed to be picked up because "this location doesn't ship ammunition". I was pissed to say the least.

Being content to even find a place that didn't get crappy with me over the phone about it, I paid and left. I got a call the next day explaining that my package needed to be picked up because "this location doesn't ship ammunition". I was pissed to say the least.

Should have ask him to ship it back to your home just to confuse him a bit more.

Edited by vontar

I have shipped guns from UPS and never had an issue. If I am shipping parts, or even receivers, and they ask what is inside I always say "nothing dangerous". That seems to satisfy them.

What I would do is call the store today and ask for a manager. When the store manager gets on the phone ask for his boss. Be adamant about it and then call that guy/girl and explain to them what happened. Hopefully the clerk who was quaking in her boots over some gun parts will get some one on one time with her boss. Better yet when the manager's boss calls be on the phone with him/her when you walk back into the store. I can tell you nothing is more satisfying than going back into a place and having the person that refused before be the one to help you.

Guest kingarmory

Its not UPS policy, its "UPS Store" policy which is not owned or managed by UPS.  I will NOT deal with UPS Store for anything, dumbasses will scrutinize over anything "gun related" and give you a half-dozen lies about why you can't ship it.  Same thing with our local pack&ship, I won't deal with them either

Well, back about 7 years ago I was getting ready to ship a Mac11 and extra parts to a guy in Minnesota I sold on Gun Brokers. I had all the paper work, FFL's and everything needed in order when I went to the UPS store. They told me that they could not ship it and I needed to go to the UPS hub on Whites Creek Pike. I drive 29 miles to the hub and stand in line 45 minutes only to be told when I get up to the counter that they could not ship it and I needed to take it to the hub on Elm hill Pike because only the main hub of UPS could ship a firearm. I drove 34 miles to the hub on Elm Hill Pike.

Got there and was greeted by a nice guy. He asked me for the copy of the FFL dealers license the firearm was being shipped to. Once he saw that he proceeded to open the package to inspect the contents after asking me if their was any ammunition with the weapon and my reply was no. I spent a lot of time packing that Mac so it would not be damaged or anything in shipping and this guy whips out his pocket knife and undoes everything I was so careful to do.

I asked him why he had to open the box and he said I needed to check for ammo and I said I told you there was none and he said I know and then out of his mouth came the words and I suppose your mouth is a Prayer Book. I looked at him and said no but I am not a liar either and as you can see you didn't find any ammo. I watched as he got a new box and he repacked the entire package again and after he got it packed to my satisfaction the shipping process was completed and I bought $5,000.00 worth of insurance to make sure it got where it was suppose to go.

Once the guy opened the package and got a look at the gun I no longer trusted him and if the gun didn't make it to it's destination I was going to be paid for all the crap they put me through to ship it. I got an email 4 days later from the FFL dealer in Minnesota telling me they had received the package and inspected the contents along with the new owner and it was all in good shape.

First and last gun I have ever shipped. Now as a follow up I contacted the UPS Corporate Office about the man on the counter opening up my package and inspecting the contents. I got a reply back that what the counter man did not a UPS policy and it would be investigated and the person would be disciplined accordingly and thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

Edited by bersaguy

Its not UPS policy, its "UPS Store" policy which is not owned or managed by UPS.  I will NOT deal with UPS Store for anything, dumbasses will scrutinize over anything "gun related" and give you a half-dozen lies about why you can't ship it.  Same thing with our local pack&ship, I won't deal with them either

Its a UPS policy.
From their website:

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
Firearms (including handguns) may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account (specifically, Daily Pickup, Daily On-Route Pickup, UPS Smart Pickup, and Day-Specific Pickup), or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, UPS On-Call Pickup®, or at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.

When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.

"When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk"

I did all of that and jumped through hoops and even provided all FFL paper work required and the guy still cut my package open because basically he thought I was lying about the ammo. I did find out that he was removed from Counter Service at the main hub on Elm Hill Pike to the Whites Creek location and put in a sorting section. I did receive an apology from  UPS for his actions and they told me what disciplinary action was taken and it is not the policy of UPS to assume any customer is lying about a package contents and not a policy to open a package................. :up:

Its a UPS policy.
From their website:

All that "policy" said, if you can print your own paid label, or have return tag, you can pack up a long gun or hand gun and drop at UPS Store, no questions asked. I've done both.

As long as it's going to a licensee, federal law doesn't require notification. Yes, you are "violating" UPS Terms of Service. But the only violation they really seem to care about is sending something the wrong class, so make sure any handguns for which you're paying the fare go a form of overnight or it may get kicked back or even disappear totally. I can assure you this happens with FedEx Ground at least.

Also, note that any violation of their TOS will likely cause either UPS or FedEx to deny any claim if indeed the shipment is damaged or "disappears" in the system, however small those odds are.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest kingarmory

Its a UPS policy.
From their website:

Right, you have to go to a UPS hub to send it, not to a UPS Store which was the point I was making.  I usually ship guns via USPS, a lot less headache