deer hunting ammunition for AR15?

OK I know I am going to get some people fired up with this. I'm going to deer hunt this rifle season with my MSR chambered in 5.56/.223 I have been looking at a lot of different size bullets from 55gn to 80gn from what I can tall is the 80gn & some 75gn are to long to feed properly. I'm from the school of thout that bigger is better. What do y'all think thanks for the feed back let get this started
I am using 60gr Nosler Partitions and 65gr Sierra Gamekings in mine.

Also have 62gr Federal Fusions and 64gr Nosler bonded solid base bullets but do not get the same accuracy as with the first two bullets. They would be fine out to about 50 yards but after that the groups are too open for me to trust with either AR.
65g Gamekings here. I've no hesitation in shooting deer out to about 150 yards with it. At that range it's right at 1000lbs/ft and over 2kft/sec...
As long as you are taking shots you are comfortable with I think you're good to go. Know your gun and ammo.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
All about shot placement.

150-200 yards is about my max hunting range regardless of caliber even though I know I can reliably hit further targets with my 30-06.

With my AR I plan to keep it within 100-120 yards but I have no fear about using the caliber on the small deer here in TN. A well placed shot and a reliable Nosler/Sierra/etc bullet will put them down every time.
  • Like 2

65g Gamekings here. I've no hesitation in shooting deer out to about 150 yards with it. At that range it's right at 1000lbs/ft and over 2kft/sec...
As long as you are taking shots you are comfortable with I think you're good to go. Know your gun and ammo.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I'd go with these or 60 grain Nosler Partitions. I see no reason why a well placed shot from a 223 wouldn't reliably kill a deer.

Technically, all you need to do is either disrupt the nervous system, cause massive blood loss, or both, and BOOM; you've got your carcass.

Why a Whizzbang magnum would do this better than a 223 is beyond me.

I assure you an AR would be much better suited to the task than a bow and arrow, but still somehow people manage to keep bringing deer home with them.

Edited by gregintenn
Hey someone on here had a chart that showed what bullet's work best with what twist barrels if any one has it I would like to have it thanks
The M16 platform served me well on two trips to the sand box and two to the Stan just wanted to give it try back home thanks for the input Edited by raildog

Hey someone on here had a chart that showed what bullet's work best with what twist barrels if any one has it I would like to have it thanks
The M16 platform served me well on two trips to the sand box and two to the Stan just wanted to give it try back home thanks for the input

This would be what you seek

926FDFF0-E9F8-4E93-ADEF-8E02E84893A4_zps

Yep. 62 gr works with all the common twist rates

Seen it used in a 1:12. Yep, I came across an M16A2 that someone had put an A1 barrel on, then issued it to a private... in 2009, in Iraq. Green tip don't worky in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barnes bullets are longer than others because they are solid copper, so a 62gr may not stabilize the best in your barrel.

My first 1:9 barrel was probably closer to 1:10 because the longer 62gr did not stabilize properly. If it was a short 60-65 grain it would stabilize.

If you've got a 7 or 8 twist barrel then I'd say go with the Barnes TSX. I've never heard anyone that has taken a deer or hog with that bullet that had anything but good things to say. Like mentioned above though, The Barnes and a few other bullets that are solid copper have to be longer than lead core bullets of the same weight. The Picture Lumberjack posted is very informative but it would lead to believe that the weight of the bullet had something to do with the twist needed to stabilize it when in fact it's the length rather than the weight that makes the difference. As long as you're using lead core bullets the pic should be pretty spot on.

I assure you an AR would be much better suited to the task than a bow and arrow, but still somehow people manage to keep bringing deer home with them.

I've often thought this when this subject comes up. I guess the broadheads cut a pretty big wound channel but I tend to think that the extra energy of the bullet would be a good equalizer. I've also seen far more folks have to track deer that were shot with a bow than I have deer that were shot with a smaller bore rifle.

Good luck with your hunting season OP!

Well, I can say that, as big a fan as I am of the TSX bullets, Pierce Ammo (Nugent)'s loading of it (70gr) had the accuracy of a limetstone pebble shot out of a potato gun.   ... might of just been me & the LW...  :)

I have 2 boxes of it if anyone wants to buy them.  

Well, I can say that, as big a fan as I am of the TSX bullets, Pierce Ammo (Nugent)'s loading of it (70gr) had the accuracy of a limetstone pebble shot out of a potato gun. ... might of just been me & the LW... :)
I have 2 boxes of it if anyone wants to buy them.

I saw a post on here the other day sad the same thing so I passed on them. Did pick up some horndy 70gn soft points and 75 gn bthp mach. The mach may be a little hard I am going to try them on some gel this weekend and I will report back with my findings thanks guys Edited by raildog
  • Like 1

Barnes bullets are longer than others because they are solid copper, so a 62gr may not stabilize the best in your barrel.

My first 1:9 barrel was probably closer to 1:10 because the longer 62gr did not stabilize properly. If it was a short 60-65 grain it would stabilize.

You're right about that. It's the length, not the weight. A 7 or 8 twist should be fine. Another note about the Barnes solids. Since the bullet is longer, you can't use a powder charge for an equivalent weight lead bullet. There is less room in the case, so the pressure will go through the roof.

I called barnes about this just the other day and according to the tech that I have spoken with, they have now changed their boolits just a bit so that powder charge weights now used for other mfg rounds will work properly with theirs.  However dont expect the same the results might be different depending on the caliber, but being there is one specific to 223/556 the results should be what they predict.