Updated :: Mini Draco Install / Keymod Rail and SB15 Mounted

plank white

I have been wanting to do this for a while now and finally received most of the Parts for my Mini Draco today

First I want to say I still have not received My side folding Adapter from ACE 

Therefore I must give a Huge thank you to " Dolomite_Supafly " He sent me a pignose adapter to use till ACE decides I am important enough to receive my Side folding mechanism.

Without him I would not have be able to complete this at all

I started off with a Mini draco purchased from JGsales which happened to come with a free drum :D

0b79d3.png

Today Most of My parts arrived 

I plan on doing a sidefolding Pistol brace with the SB15 rather than the sb47 pistol grip mounted, My main reasoning behind this

Is I want to be able to fold the Pistol and fit it into a backpack or satchel , The Mini draco is very small and perfect for this so adding anything other than a sidefolder really wasn't an Option for this need, I am currently using The pignose adapter till the folding mechanism arrives.

Since the pig nose and folding adapter will use the same holes to mount , I used the Pignose to mark the rear plate on the mini 

Then I drilled the holes to match the Bolts "I used 8/32 drill and tap and allen head bolts"

4b12cc.png

2398aa.png

After completing that I then moved onto the handgaurd 

As most of you know , as far as options go for the handgaurds on a mini draco there simply are only 2 at the moment 

The Hotdog bun that it comes with which is just putrid looking to me and the Cheese grater that Midwest industries released 

The Midwest industries mount is simply to small in My opinion and I wanted the option to remove or add rails if need 

I chose the Strike Industries Trax-1 Keymod Rail for these reasons

2b0074.png

However the Trax-1 isnt designed to be mounted on a mini draco so I had to chop the barrel clamp Used to mount the Bottom rail and,

notch the top of the rail to fit around the front sight Post 

I also installed 

Parrabellum AKARS Dustcover Rail mount

Holosun Technologies Mini Reddot optic "hearing great things about this optic cant wait to test it out"

Charging handle grip 

Magpul Pistol grip and AFG

Below is what she looks Like now

289d13.png

1e2e8d.png

dd7a9d.png

I havent had the chance to shoot it yet and may wait for my 4 pc Bulgarian Flash Hider and folder before doing so , Guess it depends how long It will take to arrive.

I am extremely happy with this little weapon and will Update with new Pics when the Flash Hider and sider folder arrive 

Thanks again Dolomite ...Your a life saver!

Updated Pics with Side folder Installed 

115ae2.png

31a018.png

5d7fe4.png

87d8e4.png

6c8c92.png

c657c7.png

5a5b2e.png

Really love this setup.

It now fits into any of my small backpack and even a couple of my Laptop cases

Once the 4pc Bulgarian brake Arrives I will be finished

Very Excited and Happy with this little pistol

Edited by plank white
  • Like 6

That looks fantastic, I want to build one early next year.

Thanks man, Get on it Prices are great ATM. may not be for long though.

I'm telling you Plank, between this and Dolomites I'm starting to seriously think about going for an AK next time funds allow.

Yours came out absolutely awesome, I'm jealous.

Thanks alot I love it , And you should not hesitate to come on over to the Dark side, Kalashnikov Awaits.....

The M92 is a HEAVY weapon. I have the 223 version and with a 30 round magazine of lighter 223 it still weighs 9 pounds. The M92 also has a 10" barrel while the Mini Draco is 7.5" so it depends on what you want to do with it but for me the M92 was not a viable choice for my plans so I sold it within days to buy the Mini Draco. I think the Draco will fill the roll of truck gun better than the M92.

That thing is looking great Plank, can't wait to get mine and start work on mine. The Orings from MC should be here tomorrow. I am also removing the flash hider and replacing it with a slant or maybe I will just square it off to make it even shorter. I have my Stormwerkz hinge on the way as well as an extended buffer tube to get me to 26" so I can use a VFG. For a grip I am using a Hogue rubber finger groove grip.

The only thing I have not figured out yet is how I am going to mount a Fast Fire.

• Like 1

I have a burris fastfire 3 mounted on my M&P 357 sig milled and screwed on its sweet ,

as for mounting it on the mini I thought of going that route but really wanted to test out the holosun

If I wouldve gone that route I would have used this 

2965673_01_midwest_industries_ak_mini_do

You can buy it here

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Industries-Mini-Dot-Mount-Burris/dp/B005HJ9IXY

I use one for my vortex on a different AK and it works great

The M92 is a HEAVY weapon. I have the 223 version and with a 30 round magazine of lighter 223 it still weighs 9 pounds. The M92 also has a 10" barrel while the Mini Draco is 7.5" so it depends on what you want to do with it but for me the M92 was not a viable choice for my plans so I sold it within days to buy the Mini Draco. I think the Draco will fill the roll of truck gun better than the M92.

That thing is looking great Plank, can't wait to get mine and start work on mine. The Orings from MC should be here tomorrow. I am also removing the flash hider and replacing it with a slant or maybe I will just square it off to make it even shorter. I have my Stormwerkz hinge on the way as well as an extended buffer tube to get me to 26" so I can use a VFG. For a grip I am using a Hogue rubber finger groove grip.

The only thing I have not figured out yet is how I am going to mount a Fast Fire.

Thanks man

That is a nice looking pistol for sure!!!

Thanks I appreciate it

I've been looking at the M92, but dang it if I don't think I like that a bit better.

It is a sweet pistol for shure

I have my Stormwerkz hinge on the way as well as an extended buffer tube to get me to 26" so I can use a VFG. ..

G, strongly suggest you rethink that one.While it's not illegal to put most anything you want on the ass end of any firearm, no way a buffer tube on an AK type weapon is gonna count in legal OAL. It's not part of the "firearm", ie not part of the functional design of the weapon itself.

AFAIK, nothing on the rear of a firearm past the "firearm" itself has ever been ruled to contribute to OAL except of course a stock assembly or grip. Same as sticking a banana on the end and saying that counts too.

- OS
Edited by Oh Shoot

I will err on the side of caution until the letter comes back from the ATF. There is a letter that has been written, not by me, that asks the M92 is considered a "pistol" or if it is considered a "firearm". The way it is written the writer is looking for the M92 to be classified as a "firearm". And if it comes back saying it is a "firearm" a VFG would be perfectly legal as long as the OAL is 26" or more.

I would like to see where it says that the item on the back is required for the operation of the gun. Only thing I can find is that is it not easily removed and in my case it is no more easily removed than a regular buffer tube.

I will likely give the ATF a call again tomorrow to ask specifically about if a buffer tube on the back of a AK counts towards OAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnFJczptc9k&list=UUuNlFO9S3WQJm4yg2aTA2Lg

One thing I definitely will be adding is a stock saddle to the buffer tube.

I would like to see where it says that the item on the back is required for the operation of the gun.

Doesn't. Simply says, "measured to rear-most portion of the weapon", and again AFAIK, nothing past the functional extent of the weapon has ever been considered part of that by ATF except stock or grip.

As per the vid, we'll see, but the legally 26" or more as the "concealable" part was crucial to their re-defining the 26" AR pistol with VFG in the first place, so it still hinges on whether a buffer tube as opposed to a banana counts in OAL on a firearm that doesn't require either for operation.

But best of luck with that, maybe he or you will set a new precedent, just wanted to make sure you were aware of possible ramifications before you starting lugging one around. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I use VFGs on my rifles but with this thing being so small my hand naturally gravitates towards the Magazine instead , even with the AFG the center spot on this is the magazine well and that is where I naturally want to place my hand , so I really don't see a need for a VFG even if I were allowed to have one I imagine it would be like the AFG and only get used if I am using a drum

As much as I get emotional about putting tacticool crap on an AK, you made that look good.  What is the side folding adapter you're waiting on?  Can you link it for us?  Are you doing a side folding buffer tube for that with the Sig Brace?  I assume that adapter you put on the back just has threads that you screw the buffer tube into?

As much as I get emotional about putting tacticool crap on an AK, you made that look good.  What is the side folding adapter you're waiting on?  Can you link it for us?  Are you doing a side folding buffer tube for that with the Sig Brace?  I assume that adapter you put on the back just has threads that you screw the buffer tube into?

here is the link

http://riflestocks.com/store/product106.html

yes It  mounts on the back and I can screw the pistol buffer tube and brace into it and fold it for backpacking or whatever

It should be here tomorrow or monday if so i will Update with pics ...Cant wait !

Edited by plank white

I chose a Stormwerkz hinge and will use a "pig nose" adapter to screw my buffer tube into. It ends up being the same as Plank but a little different setup. Pretty sure my setup will be a little lighter as well.

http://stormwerkz.com/stock-folding-mechanisms/stock-folding-mechanism-standard/

SFM-UNI-01A.jpg

The Stormwerkz also locks in the closed position while the ACE does not.

And here is the pig nose adapter:

IMG_1564.jpg

• Like 1

I chose a Stormwerkz hinge and will use a "pig nose" adapter to screw my buffer tube into. It ends up being the same as Plank but a little different setup. Pretty sure my setup will be a little lighter as well.

http://stormwerkz.com/stock-folding-mechanisms/stock-folding-mechanism-standard/

SFM-UNI-01A.jpg

The Stormwerkz also locks in the closed position while the ACE does not.

And here is the pig nose adapter:

IMG_1564.jpg

If i knew before hand that ace would take forever I wouldve went a different route , I will never order directly from them again

I do like the look of the ACE adapter but the push button and pignose wouldve functioned better probably 

The rubber grommets from McMaster Carr came in today. It is amazing, I swear they have a telepathic working for them and have my order packed and shipped before I know I am going to order.

The grommets themselves are perfectly sized. They are not big enough to get two rows above one another but if I offset, like I had envisioned, they will work great. I drill a 25/64 hole and they pop right in and do not move at all. Now that I see how nice they are going to look I am seriously considering not painting the forearm black like I had wanted.

• Like 1

We were talking in chat a few nights ago about options for our Mini Dracos. We were talking about the Troy Squid rail too. It is a free float tube with holes in it and there are little round rubber orings that go in the holes that look like tentacle suckers. Well those little rubber orings are $21 for 7 of them, way too expensive to buy to mess with.

Here is a picture of a Troy rail with the squid suckers.

20120927_184312.jpg

Picture from here:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_19/586212_Troy_Industries_Squid_Grips___Flat_Dark_Earth__FDE_.html

So I got to thinking and figured I could drill my own holes and add my own grommets to get the same benefits for a lot cheaper.

So after searching eBay I decided I would take a chance and I ordered these from McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9600k26/=tspafc

I did a test hole and they are going to look and feel great once installed. It may not look as professional as the Troy but I will have less than $15 in my rail which will be made out of a piece of 1.25" U channel that is 1/8" thick. That is if I have a couple of decent days.

I also have some mini orings coming from China to try but they won't be here any time soon.

• Like 1