New camp axe

So what does an enterprising mountain man do when they need a camp axe on a budget? Well, for me I fire up the forge and make one. Wrapped and welded 5160, 3/8" thick. Made from an old leaf spring, the handle is an old busted mattock handle I had laying around, and the wedge I just forged out from scrap. Handle is about 28". Should make a nice addition to the hiking pack

[URL=http://s535.photobucket.com/user/tnplowboy07/media/axe_zpsc506f219.jpg.html]axe_zpsc506f219.jpg[/URL]

• Like 6

Must be one heck of a pack!

I hike with a fullsize ILBE which is also my bug out bag. That way I'm used to carrying it in the woods. Though I have a lot of time under an ILBE in the Marines. I can strap this to the side, and have almost as much chopping ability as a fullsize in a much smaller package

Awesome. You have way too much time on your hands. I wish I had half as much time.

Hahahahahaha. Yeah a free Saturday once a month that doesn't get taken up by shooting or riding my bike. You need to come out again soon man. The weather is getting about right

I think we need to see some chopping/splitting tests. This vs. a commercial camp axe. Lets see it!

I need to do that. Find a commercial camp axe of equivalent size. Or I may just do another pass around lol.

I like it... What does the head weigh..?

leroy

Ill get it on a scale shortly and find out. Feels like 2.5 lbs or so.

Thanks for all the compliments guys [emoji106]

That's one helluva axe Spots. Beautiful work. :up: I sometimes wish I could forge some of the stuff I make.

Considering the source thats one hell of a compliment. My work is tough and built to be as unbreakable as possible, but looks rustic and unrefined, while yours is beautiful and the fit and finish looks superb

im gonna semi hi jack this thread how do you put an edge on your axes i mean after your done forging it 

1 x 30 harbor freight belt grinder from 80 grit to 400 grit. I dont need an axe to shave, and I have done sharpened with a file or big whet stone, but the grinder is the fastest and easiest.

Probably made it out of an old gas tank with seatbelts for straps :D

Nah.  Empty burlap sacks and scrap canvas with a full-support, ergonomic strap system made from an old mule harness rig.  And it is probably one of the most functional, rugged and bad-ass looking packs ever.

Dangit, now I want to see the pack I just described.

Edited by JAB
Guest Broomhead

im gonna semi hi jack this thread how do you put an edge on your axes i mean after your done forging it

I just put a free-handed edge on an older factory made axe for my BIL with my 2x42 Craftsman belt grinder and a worn 220grit belt. With just a casual swing into the top of a stump, I sunk it in 3 inches deep.