Tighten barrel nut with no vise?

Shot one of my ARs yesterday, sitting here cleaning it today and noticed that my handguard had some play in it. After looking closer, realized that the entire barrel nut was rotating slightly and it feels like the barrel may even have some play (may just be my imagination, feels like it wiggles but no visible movement).

This is a factory JSE upper that I have not noticed any issues with.

Unfortunately I don't have a vise. And neither does my neighbor. I bought a Wheeler Armorers kit last week so have the upper clamp block, proper wrench, and torque wrench. Just don't have a vise to mount this in and tighten it properly.

Would it be possible to tighten to spec without a vise? I don't think it would be but wanted to check with people who have built an upper before ( I have only built lowers). Best solution would be to just go buy a vise, but I don't really have a spot to mount it on my bench. Cannot wait to move and have more room to work on stuff.

Edited by jonathon1289
The gas tube does run through so not moving much but is noticeable. Had this upper a few months now and there has not been any movement before. I noticed it as soon as I grabbed the rifle out of the safe today.

May pull the gas block/tube and try to tighten without a vice but don't have much confidence that will work to torque to spec.

Hmm, I do have some c-clamps. Should have considered that earlier.

If I can get the gas block off I may try using those clamps. My gas block is held on with hex screws and I just went through 30 wrenches and none fit. Need to find my other pouch of Allen wrenches and try them.

I'm going to wait a couple days and ask another neighbor when he gets home if he has a vice. If not will try the c-clamps.

Edited by jonathon1289

I was looking at Amazon and Harbor Freight for a vise. Not sure what I will go with yet. I have had several instances over the past couple of years where I could have used a vise but was able to get by without it. Should have bought one sooner.

Thanks for the offer FordGuy but this isn't critical so I will wait til I buy and mount a vise. I have another AR to shoot until then.

I was looking at Amazon and Harbor Freight for a vise. Not sure what I will go with yet. I have had several instances over the past couple of years where I could have used a vise but was able to get by without it. Should have bought one sooner.

Thanks for the offer FordGuy but this isn't critical so I will wait til I buy and mount a vise. I have another AR to shoot until then.

Dude, you shoulda text me. I just now saw this thread. You can come over to my dads business any day and use a vice, it's just off the square here. I don't have my table built at our new house or I'd say come on out here. Let me know Edited by KKing

Dude, you shoulda text me. I just now saw this thread. You can come over to my dads business any day and use a vice, it's just off the square here. I don't have my table built at our new house or I'd say come on out here. Let me know

Thanks but this isn't that big of a deal so I wasn't wanting to bother anyone, was just looking for ideas.
Like I said I've had other uses for a vise just haven't bought one so now is a good time to buy.

Do not buy a new vise unless you just want to donate money to China. 

The vast majority of modern vises are cast iron, which does not hold up well to the pressures and forces exerted on a vise; not to mention almost all of them are imported. Look used, as most older vises are made of cast steel which is a completely different animal and performs exceptionally well. Not to mention, you can get a much nicer USA built vise used for less than what a modern import equivalent would cost. Reed, Yost, Holland, Columbian and old Wilton are some great names to look for. Modern Wilton vises are cheap import garbage until you get into the $2-300 price range, but you can pick up a similarly sized Reed or Columbian for $100 or less most of the time. 

I think I got mine from Big Lots. It's just a cheap-n-nasty but it does the job.

If you buy a vice, make sure the jaws open wide enough to hold the upper receiver block jig with room to spare. I purchased 2 different ones from Harbor Freight that looked big enough but were just a tad too small. Third one I got off Craigslist and it was massive, worked great. I also bought a short hitch bar and mounting plate from Harbor Freight so I can mount the huge vice on my truck hitch when needed.