Was this someone on here?

Dustbuster

By Nick Beres. CREATED 3:57 PM - UPDATED: 6:15 PM
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - You never know what you might find at an estate sale. A high-dollar purchase in Murfreesboro led to a cache of illegal weapons.

Murfreesboro police said an innocent buyer ended up with more than he bargained for while looking for a deal.

Police said a man shopping at an estate sale purchased the entire lot. He bought boxes and boxes of guns which resulted in three truck loads.

Later as he sorted through the boxes he came across two illegally-modified shotguns. The barrels had been sawed off very short.

"The good Samaritan brought them here to the police department to be destroyed," said Kyle Evans with the Murfreesboro Police Department.

Evans credits the man for turning them in and keeping them off the street

I would'nt be surprised if the feds learned about it and investigated the estate sale. Or do they bother with minor stuff like that? I also wouldn't be surprised, given the reputation of the feds if they didn't at least harrass the buyer even though they turned in the short shotguns. "No good deed goes unpunished", That is often true. They would probably have a hard time prosecuting someone for it though.

Wonder if you turned in the "barrell" of a short shotgun and kept the reciever and stock, if that would be acceptable? I guess turning them in would be the safe thing to do, if it was learned later that you bought some short shotguns and didn't report them that could get you investigated and searched, and possibly arrested.

My solution if I were King of America would be just to void the stupid 1939 law knowing very well it does nothing to stop criminals from murder. Although a little more concealable, you can't kill anyone more deader with it than a legal one.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 2

Good lord, our government's obsession with barrel lengths... how is this news, why would the police care and why would this "good Samaritan" go through the trouble?  If I discovered that a barrel was too short after buying something like that in bulk, it's too easy to junk the barrel and get a new one.  Not like it's a machine gun or a bazooka.

• Like 3

By Nick Beres. CREATED 3:57 PM - UPDATED: 6:15 PM
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - You never know what you might find at an estate sale. A high-dollar purchase in Murfreesboro led to a cache of illegal weapons.

Murfreesboro police said an innocent buyer ended up with more than he bargained for while looking for a deal.

Police said a man shopping at an estate sale purchased the entire lot. He bought[b][i] boxes and boxes of guns which resulted in three truck loads.[/i][/b]

Wait, wait! You're missing the point!

How did we miss an estate sale that had 3 truck loads of guns?! :stunned:

• Like 19

Good lord, our government's obsession with barrel lengths... how is this news, why would the police care and why would this "good Samaritan" go through the trouble?  If I discovered that a barrel was too short after buying something like that in bulk, it's too easy to junk the barrel and get a new one.  Not like it's a machine gun or a bazooka.

Why go through the trouble? Well I might be wearing my tin foil hat but I would be paranoid that there was some local fed who's favorite thing in the whole world to do is find some stupid violation of a federal law and bust you for it, I think it's a hobby to a few of them. I probably wouldn't be too worried about city or county, unless you have made some LEO mad at you at some time. I guess the person who bought them thought it was the safe thing to do, at least clear his name from them. I'm sure they would probably never be found and no one knew about them, but I wonder if there was some invatory list of all those guns for someone in the future to see and ask you what you did with the little shotguns.

Why go through the trouble? Well I might be wearing my tin foil hat but I would be paranoid that there was some local fed who's favorite thing in the whole world to do is find some stupid violation of a federal law and bust you for it, I think it's a hobby to a few of them. I probably wouldn't be too worried about city or county, unless you have made some LEO mad at you at some time. I guess the person who bought them thought it was the safe thing to do, at least clear his name from them. I'm sure they would probably never be found and no one knew about them, but I wonder if there was some invatory list of all those guns for someone in the future to see and ask you what you did with the little shotguns.

True, there is a history of ambitious ATF douchebags who try to create criminals to catch rather than find actual criminals, but as for there being some kind of inventory, I don't see how that would matter.  I could have an inventory with an M2 .50, RPG and a diamond encrusted AH-64, but unless those items still exist and found in the possession of someone I sold it to, the proof required for a case isn't there. 

Wonder if you turned in the "barrell" of a short shotgun and kept the reciever and stock, if that would be acceptable?

If I discovered that a barrel was too short after buying something like that in bulk, it's too easy to junk the barrel and get a new one.  Not like it's a machine gun or a bazooka.

That was pretty much my thinking when I read the article.  I wouldn't be surprised if, by 'destroyed', Evans actually meant, "A couple of officers got new, personal shotguns for just the price of a replacement barrel."

• Like 1

I guess turning them in would be the safe thing to do,

The safe thing to do would be a quick visit to a nearby secluded lake. Sadly, people have got in big trouble for "doing the right thing" and handing things in before. I am glad things worked out sanely here though.

The safe thing to do would be a quick visit to a nearby secluded lake. Sadly, people have got in big trouble for "doing the right thing" and handing things in before. I am glad things worked out sanely here though.

Probably far from over. Do you really think a purchase of such size won't be watched over very closely?

• Like 1

Doesn't sound like it went through an FFL.  If it had, the short barrels probably would have been noticed.  

If it was a private sale, just STFU and destroy the barrels.

Possible. But having gone to a lot of estate sales recently, I'm seen the established sales companies requiring bc and an ffl transfer at some of them. Not every time, but at some.

Just thought that a volume like this would at least be checked out.