Picked up an XDS

TN_Hiker

Talk about an experience!

I've always seen ads for the different models of Springfield firearms in different magazines and thought they looked cool, but never checked one out. I was in the area of Benton Shooters with the girlfriend and we both decided to stop in and have a look around. I got to browsing the pistol case when I saw a good looking, but used, XDS. I asked to see it and instantly fell in love with the look and feel of it.

The price tag was $500 for it, my giddiness and excitement over it almost lead me to buying it right then and there, but I decided to give myself some time to cool down and check around on prices. It's a good thing I did too, because I was able to go to Volunteer and they had them brand new for $499. On top of that there's the Springfield Gear Up promo going where you get three magazines for free. I took the night to think on it. Do I get the .45? The 9mm? 3.3" or 4"?

I wish I had had a chance to fire both of them and make my decision, but I didn't have that luxury. Well I went in this morning and picked up one of the 3.3" 9mm. I figured I would enjoy that extra two rounds it provided. I traded in one of my other pistols I didn't shoot and the final price made it a no-brainer to pick it up. Volunteer threw in a free range visit for me to have some fun with it, and fun I had. I think the biggest problem was not enough ammo and what I did have went way too quick! Nice weight, nice shooting, fits great in the hand, and I liked the sights. Those will probably get replaced down the road though.

I still managed to get myself in trouble with the girlfriend though. I noticed the look she got when I was all excited over it, and then the look when I was looking at buying it. All the questions she had been asking me about what I liked, what I looked for, etc, in a gun had been her narrowing down a Christmas present. Specifically an XDS. Oopsie  :nervous:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still managed to get myself in trouble with the girlfriend though. I noticed the look she got when I was all excited over it, and then the look when I was looking at buying it. All the questions she had been asking me about what I liked, what I looked for, etc, in a gun had been her narrowing down a Christmas present. Specifically an XDS. Oopsie  :nervous:

Good time to let slip that you should of picked a .40 XDm :)
I love my xds 9mm. It's my ccw and I have ran 500 trouble free rounds through and the trigger has smoothed out quite a bit. The only problem I've had is just recently I noticed some copper or rust inside the barrel that will not come out. It seems it's normal from the melonite process according to guys on xdtalk. Check out my copper fouling thread to see if yours looks like that yet. If not good but if it does its fine too.
Guest Broomhead
Tell her you really like your new XDS9 and you're wondering what the .45 would be like (which is awesome by the way). Hint to her that the choice of calibers in the same gun would be a great way to protect her better.

I also went with the XDs 9 with the 3.3" barrel slightly before the same pistol with the 4" barrel was available and am very pleased with mine. I'll probably purchase an XDs 45 with the 4" barrel for winter rotation within the next month or so. If the larger XD models had the same slide design then the full sized XD's would become my go to striker fired pistols. :pleased:

I bought a used XDS 9mm post recall w/3 mags and added a Powder River Precision spring kit and an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0 RH IWB holster. I liked so well that I then bought a used XDS 45 acp post recall w/3 mags and added the same spring kit. The Alien holster allows use of both XDS pistols. The recoil of the XDS 45 is not bad for such a small pistol, much less than a 40 SW in similar size (CM40). So these 2 XDS's and my Kahr PM9 with Steller Kydex pocket holster w/mag pocket (pocket carry) makes up my single stack carry guns.

Edited by lshel
  • 2 weeks later...