Budget but Quality 9mm?

Capsaicin

Any suggestions on budget night stand and range gun in 9mm?  

I'm juggling between the Canik55 Shark FC and Stoeger Cougar but was wondering if there were any suggestions.  

I do have a preference towards metal framed firearms and since this would primarily be a nightstand and range gun, weight isn't too much of an issue.  A decocker would be a nice-to-have as I believe it takes some of the risk/guess work out of lowering the hammer.  Definitely something with a good reputation (which is why I'm looking at the two above since they are based off solid models).  

Would any of know of a store that carries either or both of the two I've mentioned in the Nashville to Spring Hill corridor?  I'd like to handle anything before I purchase.

Thanks!

I picked up a used Smith 5906 at the Smoky Mtn Gun Collectors show last month in Knoxville. It's an old LE trade in.

It has a decocker and I have 2- 17rd mags and 1-15 round. It is not too heavy considering it's stainless. I bought it mainly as a truck gun but I have even been carrying it sometimes. Good reliable weapon and is accurate as I am. 

I paid $350 for it from a dealer out the door. I really like it.

• Like 1

The way some folks around here talk, the HiPoint is highly reliable. Uglier than the last girl to go home at a college bar, but goes bang when you need it to. It doesn't get much more "budget" than a HiPoint.

For a night-stand gun, you could probably do worse.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 3

Like others have said, a used S&W 5906 is probably the best all-metal 9mm for your budget. But all things considered, if it is going to be used as a nightstand gun, you need something with an accessory rail to attach a light. I've seen some Cougars with a rail for sale online but never in person. I have no idea whether the Canik model you mentioned has one or not. I don't have any experience with the Caniks but all reviews have been positive.

Since the Stoeger Cougar was originally made by Beretta there may be more of an aftermarket for the Cougar. That means you can actually find extra magazines and snazzy grips when you get more funds. I've read that even though the Caniks are clones there are problems with magazine compatibility. Don't know how true that is, just read it on the CZ forum some time ago.  

My next pistol purchase will be the Canik TP9. It is the best sub $500 gun on the market from all the reviews. And at under $350 shipped you can't beat it.

I had one. It was not bad, but not great. Worst part was the rear sight danced all over the place. Every shot landed somewhere else. The trigger pull in full DA was way too heavy.

The way some folks around here talk, the HiPoint is highly reliable. Uglier than the last girl to go home at a college bar, but goes bang when you need it to. It doesn't get much more "budget" than a HiPoint.

For a night-stand gun, you could probably do worse.

I've seen them at gun shows. $150 is tempting and I'm not even in the market for one. :D  i understand they have a lifetime warranty.

Here's a write up on it:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/hi-point-c9-9mm-a-good-cheap-gun/

• Like 1

I have a Dr. appointment in Franklin today and planned stopping by the Franklin gun store but they are closed on Mondays.  Boo.  

I guess I'll stop by the Armory instead.

Window shopping only at FGS :stunned:. Nashville Armory is a very nice shop.