Too Late to Get Into C&R?

I've owned two C&R rifles in the past and (foolishly) sold them.  I never got my C&R license but now that I'm a home owner, I'm considering it.

My concern though, is whether it's too late to get into C&R.  Prices are skyrocketing.  Eligible firearms are getting harder to find.  Surplus ammo also seems harder to find.

Are these fears unfounded or is there something to all this?

Thanks.

Yes and no. Milsurps are about done for C&R eligibility. Unless some forgotten armory gets discovered or something we are by all accounts circling the end. Now for non milsurp C&R guns the times as good as any and really actually quite good. Lots of old S&W are going to be eligible soon along with a plethora of older rifles and handguns. Now getting them shipped to you may be a different story as some people do to want to mess with shipping to a C&R holder.

For the $10 a year I defy you not to save the total cost on 1-3 Brownells orders if you do any ordering from them at all.
It's never too late. Yes, prices are higher than they were 20, 10 and even 3 years ago, but so is the price of milk. There are still good deals on some Mosins, Yugo Mausers, Tokarev pistols and Polish P64 pistols to name a few. Small lots of different C&R eligible guns pop up quite frequently, so you need to be able to act quickly sometimes, so having your C&R license on file with some of the major online dealers makes the transaction very smooth. Be warned, however, because a C&R license will cost you more than $30...it makes it too easy to buy C&R guns, so you must hold on tight to your wallet. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Maybe this should be another thread, if so mods please move as you see fit.

Looking at the C&R application, item 11.  Why would having been an employee of an FFL be of concern?  I worked at a local range (6 years ago) for 3 years, and I answered "Yes" to that question.  So what are they looking for when they state "give full details on a separate sheet of paper"?   Just "I worked at xxx FFL holder from date to date.  I am no longer employed there"?

And as far as sending the second copy to the CLEO, looks like I just mail that copy to them, nothing else needs to be done?

Thanks in advance.

Just look at it this way, anything over 50 years old is C&R (even machine guns, but NFA rules still apply) as long is it is in "original" configuration.  Even when the current crop of Mosins, etc. dries up from overseas there will still be zillions of those and other Mausers, Enfields, Springfields, etc. floating around....and every other gun made before 1964 whether it be an M1 Carbine or a Smith & Wesson revolver.

Edited by Garufa
  • 3 weeks later...