What's a good 1911 style 45?

jeff43

What will the pistol be used for? whats the budget? does it have to be new, or is used ok?

Mostly plinking , shooting targets.
$500 or so on the budget,got another handgun I'm wanting to trade for one.
New or used is fine

Mostly plinking , shooting targets.
$500 or so on the budget,got another handgun I'm wanting to trade for one.
New or used is fine

Rock Island is about the best for your budget. Build like a tank and accurate as the day is long.
  • Like 1
For $500 you are a little short from getting a Springer. You are in Rock Island territory which is just fine. The Taurus 1911's are not supposed to be that bad but I would still rather have the Rock Island. You may be able to find a used Para for $500.
Rock Island for the win! Although with the increasing interest in the RIA products, don't be surprised to see some price increases.

Had I not overspent, I would have bought a RIA Tactical that I saw at the Lebanon Gun show a few weeks back. It was 599 + all the tax/tic stuff.

Save up for a S&W , can't touch'em.

I sold a friend's 2004 production s&w 1911 when he was hard for cash and I wish that I would have bought it instead. I read many reports then and since that the finish is the only downfall.

The Citadel's are pretty much rebadged RIA the best I can tell. Edited by Patton

A used remington isnt bad. I have a taurus and it shoots really well. If you can track one down, a Umarex regent is a solid choice. Owned two and wish I didnt both of them. Cheap, reliable and accurate. But a RIA will most likely be the best fit. 

I've noticed Centerfire Systems has pretty good prices on RIA 1911's.Once I've started looking around amt 1911's ,I realized that most of them are way too expensive.Why is it that most 1911's are in the $600 to $1200 range, it's not like there is a shortage of them.