Narcissm - Younger Gen Cursing

R_Bert

and beating down a elderly gentlemen when confronted -

http://thesmokinggun.com/documents/octogenarian-assaulted-at-Applebees-687543

I used to have to confront younger co-workers on habitual cursing and vulgar language.  It took a few months of shaming, but eventually the teams language cleaned up.  But, every single time we hired someone new, I had to start over.

Not talking about a slip of tongue, but rather a flagrant habit of expression. Old goats are bad about it, but do not hold a candle to the younger generations.

I do not understand why it is necessary, in public, or professionally.

It is narcissist behavior.

I used to have to confront younger co-workers on habitual cursing and vulgar language.  It took a few months of shaming, but eventually the teams language cleaned up.  But, every single time we hired someone new, I had to start over.

Not talking about a slip of tongue, but rather a flagrant habit of expression. Old goats are bad about it, but do not hold a candle to the younger generations.

Following the punch, Sawyer departed with two friends. When a restaurant manager followed him into the parking lot, [b]Sawyer charged the worker in a “threatening manner”[/b] and warned that he “would also kick [the employee’s] ass too.”

That's sounds like a situation where use of deadly force to defend yourself would have been justifiable.

I'm getting more and more sick and tired of hearing about these young punk thug human garbage parasites beating up old people, attacking innocent people for the fun of it in grocery stores, having no conscience believing it's cool to be a thug. I'll give no sympathy for some parasite like that if they wind up on a floor bleeding with a bullet in the chest, they asked for it and they deserve it.

• Like 2

I would say it's more egocentric behavior than narcissistic, but that isn't the main point.

I certainly curse more than I probably should or need to in my personal life, but professionally I keep it to a minimum.  For me, this is less about the cursing and points to a much bigger problem and that is respect for other people in general.  This is just one of many situations of disrespect out there today.  In general though, I am more annoyed by unruly kids than I am cursing. 

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

I would say it's more egocentric behavior than narcissistic, but that isn't the main point.

I certainly curse more than I probably should or need to in my personal life, but professionally I keep it to a minimum.  For me, this is less about the cursing and points to a much bigger problem and that is respect for other people in general.  This is just one of many situations of disrespect out there today.  In general though, I am more annoyed by unruly kids than I am cursing. 

I'm kinda like that too. In the shop I sometimes curse worse than a sailor but in company of others I rarely if ever do. I can't really explain it. :lol:  And like you while I find the cursing of kids unneeded and immature the behavior of them for the most part is inexcusable......particularly when I  hear them doing it to their own parents. I can't imagine that happening and them getting away with it 25 years ago.

Mmhmm. I'm only 20, and I don't curse. Mentally, yes, that is different, but verbally, no. Not for any reason either, I'm an atheist, so I'm not afraid of the boogeyman or whomever cursing me for cursing... hah... I say this in jest, no stab at religion here.

Anyway - it is a respect thing. Perhaps also an intelligence thing. When one reduces himself to the lowest common denominator, it is not a good showing.

No doubt, I heard a table full of girls from a local school talk about antics and such that had worse mouths than any gunny that blasted me when i was a young marine.

One of the girls Stated: Mom, shut the f up i heard you!"

They wanna cuss like sailors, but get treated like royalty........

I don't cuss in public around strangers out of respect, around people I know, it just depends on who it is. Cussing never bothered me personally unless someone was cussing around my mom or around others who it may offend because it shows a lack of respect to them.

Now I think the real absurdity in the story the OP posted is that when the 80 year old man asked the 26 year old punk not to cuss around him in public, the thug punched the old man in the face and knocked him out. That's when I will whole heartedly approve of violence against this POS. Sorry, I know that was cussing abreiviated but no one here ever said they were offended before. Sometimes a certain word gets a point accross, thug is too nice of a word for him so I thought fecal matter was a better term to describe a 26 year old &#% who punches and 80 year old man.

This isn’t a gun issue and shouldn’t be. I can remember when if someone had done that in a restaurant; someone would have got up and stomped a mud hole in his ass.

In the state I was in I would have had the privilege of arresting the dirtbag for felony battery and seeing how things worked out for him in jail. He would have got his in the end all right...

Personal thoughts aside here, but the younger crowd just doesn't seem to know any other words these days. I was as bad as most guys growing up, but this is just plain poor education. 

Can't think of a decent word to use, so they curse.

Of course, the movies and music they are exposed to is a big influence as well.

• Like 1

Personal thoughts aside here, but the younger crowd just doesn't seem to know any other words these days. I was as bad as most guys growing up, but this is just plain poor education. 

Can't think of a decent word to use, so they curse.

Of course, the movies and music they are exposed to is a big influence as well.

I disagree with the later part though I can't find a fault with the former.

I disagree that the exposure to movies and music is a leading contributing factor to much anything wrong with young people today. I'm still clinging bitterly to the concept that I'm a young person so I'll just use myself as an example, I've been exposed to about every tasteless song, filthy movie, crass television show, violent video game, or what have you that anyone else would be and have never punched out an old man over an ass chewing.

I think it gets rationalized or explained in many ways and forms, but at the end of the day I think some people are just pieces of shit plain and simple. That's why there are rich pieces of shit, and poor pieces of shit, white pieces of shit and black pieces of shit. Brown ones, yellow ones, red ones, pink ones, and on and on. Nothing turned them the way they are, except maybe possibly some social/ economical situation that maybe isn't helping, but even to that end some people will never cease to disappoint if left to their own devices. Try an experiment on yourself if you want some proof, spend the next six days listening to old NWA records and playing grand theft auto 5. I'll bet you a nickel that it doesn't turn anyone here into a hardened criminal no matter how many hookers you run over on your tv.

As to swearing, its like using big fancy words or metaphors, there's a time and a place to use them to make your point, don't let swear words become a substitution for a vocabulary, make them additions to it.
  • Like 3

I don't think cursing by itself is narcissistic, but lacking respect for others is.  Those of us from the military culture curse out of habit, and have an ever evolving vocabulary.  That's just how the culture is, and it's what I'm used to.  I don't get offended by someone cursing around me.

However, I can't stand it in public around my wife and kids.  It is disrespectful.  I hate seeing it in public when folks are cursing around old folks and people who obviously are offended by it.  Unfortunately, it is impossible to do anything about it without being involved in an altercation.  The type of person who has been raised to have such a lack of respect for others isn't going to have an epiphany that their behavior is incorrect simply because you're asking nicely to watch their language.  No, they're going to feel challenged by it.  In my opinion, this, once again, boils down to people who had terrible parents who didn't teach them right from wrong.

Even in my own family, there are folks who will curse in front of my kids, and then roll their eyes and give me the sarcastic "okay" when I tell them not to do that in front of my children.  Gets under my skin and has been a source of tension since becoming a parent.

like everything else there are times and places where cursing is fine.   I really try hard not to throw out F Bombs and its variants ever. I fail sometimes.  

I stick by this mostly,

4:46 into the video they are listed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyBH5oNQOS0

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

I disagree with the later part though I can't find a fault with the former.

I disagree that the exposure to movies and music is a leading contributing factor to much anything wrong with young people today. I'm still clinging bitterly to the concept that I'm a young person so I'll just use myself as an example, I've been exposed to about every tasteless song, filthy movie, crass television show, violent video game, or what have you that anyone else would be and have never punched out an old man over an ass chewing.

I think it gets rationalized or explained in many ways and forms, but at the end of the day I think some people are just pieces of #### plain and simple. That's why there are rich pieces of ####, and poor pieces of ####, white pieces of #### and black pieces of ####. Brown ones, yellow ones, red ones, pink ones, and on and on. Nothing turned them the way they are, except maybe possibly some social/ economical situation that maybe isn't helping, but even to that end some people will never cease to disappoint if left to their own devices. Try an experiment on yourself if you want some proof, spend the next six days listening to old NWA records and playing grand theft auto 5. I'll bet you a nickel that it doesn't turn anyone here into a hardened criminal no matter how many hookers you run over on your tv.

As to swearing, its like using big fancy words or metaphors, there's a time and a place to use them to make your point, don't let swear words become a substitution for a vocabulary, make them additions to it.

I don't totally disagree with you on your outlook, but do contend that the language that is so pervasive in movies, music, and society in general today has its roots in the cultural changes brought about by the laxing of moral and educational standards that seemed to start in the 60s. JMO

“Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.” Spencer W. Kimball

If you listen, on just about any random trip to Walmart, you can hear children using language with their parents that would have earned me a trip out back to cut a switch.  For me, it's shocking to hear an eight year use the f word when talking to his mother but I've heard it numerous times.  I must assume that the parents communication, parenting, and disciplinary skills were never properly developed.

Edited by Motasyco
  • Like 1
.....a very interesting topic. My first thought was the same as many, a lack of respect for fellow human beings. As far as some kid punching an elderly man (for any reason), I wonder bow much if any of this type of response is due in part to how today's kids exist in our society. In other conversations I've wondered how today's kids will function as adults as it relates to conflict resolution. How many tries did most of us get to resolve problems or negotiate conflict with our peers or others? Back in the days when we would be MIA from the time we got home from school until dinner. We had to learn how to cope with adversity, overcome arguments/fights, ....basically practice being grown up. What can we honestly expect from a generation that is very sheltered and controlled, when they finally encounter conflict? Is there a third response to threat? Fight, flight, or work it out like a rational and respectful member of the human race? If that last skill isn't available just fight or flight?

How about the humility learned through loosing? In an age where kids are not allowed to lose, what is the expected response when they're grown and introduced to the real world where there are winners and losers. The kid is embarrassed by being called out by this old guy, instead of sucking it up and aknowleding that he was in the wrong and apologizing, he feels that he has to lash out and go to fists.

No real statement on this topic, it just makes me wonder.?.?

I would disagree that it is narcissist.    I am in between, as a gen xer not quite a goat and certainly not young, but I have my moments.  At one level, the cursing is an automated response to aggravation, not intended to offend but to let off steam.  At another level these words are commonly used terms that are no different than any other adjective --- it probably should not be that way, but many folks my age and younger (and plenty older too) have used the terms for so long they just slip out without thinking from time to time, or in the case of some folks, all the #$%^ time. 

For it to be narcissist, they would have to be doing it intentionally at some level.  That is, a disregard for others by intent, rather than by habit, coupled with an unwillingness to change the behavior.  

It is not necessary nor professional.  But it takes time to change habits learned over 10 years (high school and college) toward a professional outward behavior.  Suddenly someone is thrown from a casual environment to a professional one, and the adjustment takes time.  It *should* be the case that at college people *should* be expected to learn professional behavior but even when I was in school there were inappropriate words used by both professors and students at times, with no repercussions.   I remember my 8th grade math teacher got mad at a slow student and the letters on the vertices of his 5th drawing of the same concept was DAMN.  And being 8th graders the rest of us laughed.  Yea, its funny, but at the same time, THIS is what you are fighting: from middle school on the kids are subjected to constant swearing from peers, parents, media, internet, and sometimes, even their teachers.

I would disagree that it is narcissist.    I am in between, as a gen xer not quite a goat and certainly not young, but I have my moments.  At one level, the cursing is an automated response to aggravation, not intended to offend but to let off steam.  At another level these words are commonly used terms that are no different than any other adjective --- it probably should not be that way, but many folks my age and younger (and plenty older too) have used the terms for so long they just slip out without thinking from time to time, or in the case of some folks, all the #$%^ time. 

For it to be narcissist, they would have to be doing it intentionally at some level.  That is, a disregard for others by intent, rather than by habit, coupled with an unwillingness to change the behavior.  

It is not necessary nor professional.  But it takes time to change habits learned over 10 years (high school and college) toward a professional outward behavior.  Suddenly someone is thrown from a casual environment to a professional one, and the adjustment takes time.  It *should* be the case that at college people *should* be expected to learn professional behavior but even when I was in school there were inappropriate words used by both professors and students at times, with no repercussions.   I remember my 8th grade math teacher got mad at a slow student and the letters on the vertices of his 5th drawing of the same concept was DAMN.  And being 8th graders the rest of us laughed.  Yea, its funny, but at the same time, THIS is what you are fighting: from middle school on the kids are subjected to constant swearing from peers, parents, media, internet, and sometimes, even their teachers.

Not commenting on the rest of your synopsis, but the highlighted above point is incorrect. Narcissm has absolutely nothing to do with intent  regarding others. It is by definition - oriented to self. Period.

Edited by R_Bert

I more concerned about the thugish mentality of some of our young people than their language, I guess it's because there's no one particular word that offends me, the reality of it is, it's just a sound but it's all in how you use it to communicate. I will agree that in public around people that might be offended by those words, it's dis-respectful to them to cuss around them. NOW, if someone offends me with what I think is an absurdity of some kind I will return the absurdity, an eye for an eye. One thing I will never do or try my best not to do is use a racial slur, an actual racial slur, not something some sanctimonious self-rightous liberal thinks is racist. People use certain words as "assualt words" when they get into a verbal fight, they do show your anger if you use them right, just be aware of un-intentual victims that may be close by when you go full-auto spraying large caliber words all over the place, maintain target awarness.  :)