AR Camo opinions

Fixing to pull the trigger on a varmint upper for laying down some dogs this year. Thinking of this:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=271

uhpredp11.gif

Cheap and seems plenty good enough for what I'll be up to.

Anyway, being it's not super high-end... but also BRAND NEW.... I want to do a decent camo job on it.

Thinking of they hydro dip, but I worry about durability. Y'all had any experience on that? Did you do it yourself, with one of those kits? Doesn't look hard, is the commercial stuff better quality?

What about just plain old rattle can and fish nets? Seems sorta ghetto, and although I'm not taking this thing to war I wonder about durability of that also.

What have y'all done?

Who did you use for the hydro dip and why for the don't recommend?  :confused:

Joint Force Enterprises in Florida.  here is my review left on their facebook page

My rating would be more a 3.5 than a 3.

I sent my stripped components in just before Christmas 2013 and received them back on March 20, 2014; a much longer wait than was communicated initially. I was informed that some personnel changes and severe backlog had developed due to the holiday season as well as Shot Show 2014, so that did explain a bit of the delay. The work done, a water transfer imaging of ODG Lupus was fantastic, I'll not deny it. However, it is more of what I didn't receive that is the reason for my rating. I did not receive timely, proactive communication, a shipping tracking number nor some of the small parts (bolt catch screw, upper tension screw, forward assist, Geissele rail hex nut and Geissele rail anti-rotational screws) that were sent/attached with my components for coating. 

I did not contact JFE about these missing parts because I honestly did not think it would yield anything, given that I wasn't able to get my previous phone calls returned and I was able to secure the missing parts without too much trouble.

In an honest summary, great work on the coating....the quality is terrific. But from a customer experience, much was amiss.

I rattle canned one of mine last year and it has held up great. I would post a pic but I have changed a lot of the parts so it looks a bit odd.. I will say that it held up much better than I ever thought or wanted it to since I was really looking for that weathered look. That rifle has had at least 6,000 rounds through it since it was painted and other than where it was smacked up against rocks and trees in the woods it looked about the same as it did day 1. Personally, I am not a fan of Hydro Dipping, everything I've seen that had been Hydro Dipped came out looking like a toy to me, kinda cheesy. I'm sure there are some hydro dipping jobs out there that look great but it's not for me. If you go the rattle can route you can always change it up to blend with the different areas that you decide to hunt. If you are against the rattle can route then I would suggest CeraKote. It is far more durable than hydro dipping and looks way better IMO. I have a guy that does superb CeraKote work here in Murfreesboro and he also does Hydro dipping if that's the route that you decide to go. There's also SigBrown here on the forum that has just opened up a CeraKote shop in the Nashville area. I've not had anything done by him personally but from the looks of cj0e's sig, it looks like he does good work. Here's a link to the Sig pistol that SigBrown did for him,

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/82221-had-to-show-it-off/

EDIT: I forgot, when SigBrown opened his shop he also changed his name on here to "Amendment2customcoatings" He is now a vendor here.

Edited by Luke E.
  • Like 1