Glock42

Links2k

I finally got around to putting a couple hundred rounds down the barrel of my Glock42. I purchased the pistol a while back from a member and stuck it in the safe. To be honest, I had read so many negative threads on other forums about the 42 that I was a bit apprehensive about taking it to the range.

Today I fired one hundred rounds of PMC and one hundred rounds of Hornady Critical Defense with zero malfunctions. I'll probably run another few hundred over the next week and then stick it in a Desantis pocket holster. The pistol has a test fire date of 12/20/13.

Has anyone had similar results from their pistol?

I got mine about 1 1/2 months ago and must say have been thoroughly impressed. I've run PMC, Fioochi, WWB, Freemdom remans, Golden Sabers, Critical Defense and a couple of others without a single malfunction............until Saturday. Took my wife and mother-in-law to the range, both of them had failures to feed with the PMC but it was on the second round out of the mag (was loading 5 at a time) and I don't think they were slingshoting the slide on intial loading, kinda limp wristing the release if you get my point. Both times they had it happen, I ejected the mag, got the round to chamber properly and proceeded to finish off the rest of the mag with no problem. I then loaded up five more and proceeded to shoot it myself with no problems. We were using the same mag at all times so I'm going to attribute it to the shooter, not the gun for now. Only other thing I could think of is that I had shot it about 2 weeks earlier (about 100 rounds) and did not clean it before takng it out again, but again I could not get the failure to duplicate when I was shooting it that they were experiencing. We put about 300 rounds through it on Saturday and other than those two failures, nada! Still love the gun no complaints here!

• Like 1
I read a thread today where a guy said that his wife was having similar problems while the pistol had been practically flawless for him. I'm starting to think that most of the reported horror stories may have been related to user error.

Glock had issues with the first batch and probably should have done a recall. They then made changes to the magazine and I believe the ejector. Apparently those changes solved most of the issues.

I'm tempted to go that route but I really don't want a 3rd pistol in .380ACP. I may hold out for the single stack 9mm. It should be available by the time I'm ready to retire. 

Erik88 - I'm with ya on the single stack 9mm, if they come out with it, my 42 is GONE!! However, for the time being it is by far the sweetest shooting 380 I've ever shot. And with a pierce grip extension the fit in my hand is perfect (and my hands ain't small)

• Like 1

Erik88 - I'm with ya on the single stack 9mm, if they come out with it, my 42 is GONE!! However, for the time being it is by far the sweetest shooting 380 I've ever shot. And with a pierce grip extension the fit in my hand is perfect (and my hands ain't small)

Exactly why Glock released the 42 first. Had they released a single stack 9 first they wouldn't have sold any of the 380s
  • Like 3

I'm sure a G42 sized gun could be chambered in 9mm.  Kahr has already done it, as have others.

I compared the CM9 to the 42. Laid one on top of the other. The CM9 is beefier. It would be tough to outdo the Kahr.

FWIW, max pressure with the .380 ACP is 19,580 PSI. Max pressure on a 9mm is 35,000 PSI, and 38,500 PSI for +P. Ain't just a matter of digging a deeper chamber.

Edited by mikegideon

I got rid of two LCPs because the little suckers were just too harsh. I added Tango Down grip extensions, Tango Down extended slide stop and purchased two extra mags. The G42 will be my go to small pistol.
Guest livefreeordie1

I compared the CM9 to the 42. Laid one on top of the other. The CM9 is beefier. It would be tough to outdo the Kahr.

FWIW, max pressure with the .380 ACP is 19,580 PSI. Max pressure on a 9mm is 35,000 PSI, and 38,500 PSI for +P. Ain't just a matter of digging a deeper chamber.

That's the point.  The glock is longer and thicker, yet chambered for a more expensive, less effective cartridge.  Makes no sense to me.

That's the point.  The glock is longer and thicker, yet chambered for a more expensive, less effective cartridge.  Makes no sense to me.

The 42 isn't all that thick to me. I compared it to my LCP. Definitely lightweight compared to all the 9's. I've also compared the LCP to the LC9. Much beefier gun. Sometimes the size specs just don't tell the story.

I like everything about the G-42 except the fact its a 9mmK instead of a 9mmP, it'd be a five round magazine in 9MMP but I'd still buy it. Until then I'm content with my LCP and see no need to purchase the current G-42.

Me neither, except I really like it. It won't replace the LCP. It's too long.

I don't own one but have shot one several times. Definitely light weight and seems easy to carry. Currently carry a CM9 when I have to go small but could see carrying the G42. I find I can shoot the G42 fast and accurate. To me it handles like full size gun when it comes to shootability. But then again I always find an excuse to buy a new gun.
  • Like 1

I don't own one but have shot one several times. Definitely light weight and seems easy to carry. Currently carry a CM9 when I have to go small but could see carrying the G42. I find I can shoot the G42 fast and accurate. To me it handles like full size gun when it comes to shootability. But then again I always find an excuse to buy a new gun.

I agree, the 42 is not as snappy as other .380 pistols.

I agree, the 42 is not as snappy as other .380 pistols.

....and that is why my LCP got traded for a G42. The LCP was just not quite big enough for me to get my oof hands on and therefore was "snappy". With a grip extension the 42 is perfect in the hand, less recoil than any other 380 out there...and I can fit it in my pocket. Great gun when small is needed

Just shows how we are all different. I didn't find the LCP objectionable at all. But that's just me, and not meant as any sort of criticism.

And oddly enough, being a large Glock fan, I found the 42 not at all impressive for me.

But glad it works for you.

Guest TheSilverFox
I couldn't get my LCP to function properly. It would shoot most ball ammo but HP ammo was another story. Even after polishing the internals, it had hiccups. I sent it down the road. I was excited to see the small Glock until I saw it was a 380. After all the LCP problems I have vowed to stay away from anything chambered in 380. If i have to carry something smaller, I'll stick to a wheel gun. I have a LCR that i really like.