Mini 30

none

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one maybe 10 years ago. Decent rifle, fun to shoot. No tack driver, but accurate enough for a defensive rifle. No issues with the rifle itself, but I ended up selling it because I couldn't find any decent mags for it. The only magazine that worked was the original factory 5 rounder. I tried just about every brand of 20 round magazine made at the time and none of them were reliable. The gun simply would not go through a 20 round magazine without a jam. Often several times.  Hopefully they have cured these problems by now. But I wouldn't buy another one. 

The gun simply would not go through a 20 round magazine without a jam. Often several times.  Hopefully they have cured these problems by now. But I wouldn't buy another one. 

Did you buy a Ruger 20-rounder?  I got one the other day that I haven't tried....almost 40 bucks though.  I'm doing my own reloads with pretty good accuracy.  I know you can get Commie ammo pretty cheap, but I've decided to pamper it until the SHTF, then I don't really care what goes down the pipe.

At that time Ruger would only sell 20 round mags to law enforcement. So maybe it was a bit more than 10 years ago. I don't remember exactly when I had it.  :screwy:

I did shoot mostly Russian surplus ammo. Back then you could get a full case of the stuff for about $80. But I did run some Winchester and I think Federal through it. Not much of an improvement for accuracy. I never handloaded for it because ammo was so cheap.  As I recall, the rifle would shoot 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards which is considered pretty normal for the Mini-30.

The name Ruger and accessories go hand-in-hand, so there's several things you can do to trick them out.  For accuracy, one of these days I might put a barrel stabilizer on it which acts as a combo stiffener and heat sink.  Here's one that looks good:

http://sunfloweroutdoorsports.com/Mo-Rod-4-Barrel-Stabilizer-Accurizer-for-Ruger-Mini-14-30-MR4.htm

For the simple add-ons, you can follow this guy's ideas....but collapsible or retractable stocks, muzzle brakes and other goodies are available, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MttOpoRMsf8

I have four of the tactical models and they are my favorite rifles. Ammo is a little pricey as I only use brass case. I have a few AR's but am not a fan of the 223/556 caliber. I tried a couple of AK's first, but could not force myself to like the feel of an AK. The Mini 30 tactical reminds me of an old M1 Carbine when I shoulder it. It's not perfect but so far it fits me better than anything else that I have tried. And I have tried a bunch of them.

Supposedly, the newer ones are more accurate. I have an older model. It was horribly inaccurate. The POI would shift several MOA as the barrel warmed up.

A barrel stabilizer helped the vertical shift but added a lot of weight. I had it cryo-treated and that helped immensely.

Some people install a gas bushing with a smaller port. I did that too, but it changed my POI drastically. Can't explain why, but it did.

I have four of the tactical models and they are my favorite rifles. Ammo is a little pricey as I only use brass case. I have a few AR's but am not a fan of the 223/556 caliber. I tried a couple of AK's first, but could not force myself to like the feel of an AK. The Mini 30 tactical reminds me of an old M1 Carbine when I shoulder it. It's not perfect but so far it fits me better than anything else that I have tried. And I have tried a bunch of them.

Thought about a .300blk upper for one of your ARs?
I have been routinely disappointed by the poor accuracy (group sizes) for every Mini (223 or 7.62) I have fired. While these rifles function reliably I require a tighter accuracy standard than they can deliver. Despite this I still had an interest in the 7.62x39 cartridge for close range deer hunting as it delivers approximate 30/30 energy. Several years back I acquired a complete AR upper in 7.62x39 and developed loads for it that deliver 1.5" groups @ 100 yards. I then used it to collect a doe (the deer hunting woods are my ballistics laboratory). The shot was well placed and the deer responded very similarly to having been hit by a 243. As others have stated the Mini platform is reliable and would service well if your group size standard can be met by it's production. Just my 2-cents worth.

Stumpy

Took a Mini 30 tactical to the range yesterday. I can't really compare the accuracy to the Rock River AR that I took along as both had iron sights and both were more accurate than I am.I also think the shorter barrels shoot better in the Mini's. Best shooting Mini 14 I ever had was a 13 inch barrel AC556 Model. It was a tack driver. Shot 100 rounds through each rifle yesterday with zero malfunctions from either one. Several other people were at the range and shot both rifles. Everyone seemed to think  the Mini 30 shot just as well as the AR. The extra thump on my shoulder is reassuring in the fact that I do not doubt the stopping power of the 7.62 round. I have six AR's but like the Mini 30 better. Next time we have a panic, I will be selling all the AR's.

Edited by Eray