M&P 40 and Glock 22

suspiciousmind

Some of the reviews I've seen on youtube tend to find a lot of similarities in the guns.

I just want a .40 to add my carry rotation, and I am not particularly swayed by the Glock branding. That being said, there is an endless wealth of aftermarket parts for Glocks.

BUT, the price on the M&P police trade-ins at Buds is almost too irresistible to pass up. I don't baby guns either as I am a collector by nature for my own enjoyment.. Not necessarily for resale value. So, slightly used or even well worn doesn't phase me.

Thoughts?
I'm a devoted M&P fan, and have 3 M&P 40s; compact, full size, and 5" Pro. I highly recommend them! All of mine are excellent shooters and have been nothing but perfect.

I already have a bunch of 'em and that deal at Bud's even has me contemplating getting 1 or 2 more! One for each car, bug out bag, etc... I already have a bunch of mags for them, and a few more never hurts.

I think they're great guns, and for me much more comfortable than any of the guns Glock has put out. Yes, I've tried every generation of Glockand many models... none of them vibe with me. Of course, everyone is different. Handle one of each and see what you like. (Then buy the Smith! Haha!)
  • Like 1
The first handgun I ever shot was my father's Glock when I was around 10 years old. So, I do have a slight childhood draw to the Glocks for nostalgic reasons, but I handled the M&P in a store the other day and I was dumbfounded at how comfortable it was.

But, the Gen 4 Glocks have the interchangeable back straps too.

Guys, I think I'm going through an mid-20s post-divorce life crisis. :lol:

Amazing what not being married can do for your bank account.
  • Like 2
I like the feel of my Ruger SR40c, it conceals well and is a great shooter. Only have it for sale to try and consolidate some stuff and free room.

Never been a Glock fan but I still have not grabbed a Gen4 so who knows.

The M&Ps are amazingly comfortable to me as well. One of them is high on my list for next purchase.
  • Like 1
New M&P40's can be had for less than $100 more than buds is charging for the police trade-ins. I can't imagine buying one of them when I could get all the new goodies S&W has changed on the M&P lineup in the past year for less than $100 more.

In the .40 I will take an M&P over a G22 any day. That's coming from a huge Glock guy....
  • Like 1

New M&P40's can be had for less than $100 more than buds is charging for the police trade-ins. I can't imagine buying one of them when I could get all the new goodies S&W has changed on the M&P lineup in the past year for less than $100 more.
In the .40 I will take an M&P over a G22 any day. That's coming from a huge Glock guy....

Friend, I'm not a genius but I am fairly savvy with finding good deals on the internet and I can't seem to find these glorious prices anywhere.

Buds has them for 359.

The M&P40 was my first purchase. Sold it and went with a G23 after 5 years of owning it.  I found myself flinching waiting on the trigger to break with the Smith. You can stuff Apex parts in there to get a good trigger, but the 23 (and G26) is right for me in frame size and stock trigger.

I shoot a M&P 9mm in competition. I've put thousands of rounds through it. I have nothing but good things to say. I have done some upgrades along the way, but none of them were out of necessity. While I truly appreciate the Glock simplicity and ruggedness, I have never been able to get past how ugly they are. I have owned a  22 and 23, and shot a 27. All of then went bang on command. You will have a reliable firearm with either choice. It's just a matter of what you like more.

Its evident you've decided upon an M&P 40, more specifically a used LEA trade in, so go for it. Pluses are availability of accessories, negatives are its night sights if it has them installed. When LEA service pistols are traded its at or near the end of any tritium night sights service life cycle. You might squeak out another year or three of diminishing ambient light from them before replacing them.

Bottom line, go with what you want because its your money. Broader view don't get too wrapped around the lower cost of a LEA trade in purchase opportunities from a firearms distributor. Frequently you can find a lightly used, much newer trade in at a LGS at a fair market price. Buying from said LGS helps keep them in business thereby helping the shooting community.

Friend, I'm not a genius but I am fairly savvy with finding good deals on the internet and I can't seem to find these glorious prices anywhere.

Buds has them for 359.

$450 for civilian pricing from Grant. Mil/LE pricing is $398.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=209300

I typically see M&P's going for $425-450 online depending on inventory levels. I'll dig around later and see if I can find one for you closer to that $425 mark. Edited by GhostRecon21

One of the reasons there are so many  .40 M&P'S on the market is Atlanta dumped two thousand+ after two months because

they could not keep them functioning ,and went with Glock 22 Pistol. This is after Atlanta using S&W for about sixty years.

Combine this with other Police&Security getting rid of them at a fast rate now market flooded with them.   (G&T Dist.@ $319) wow

Plenty of  G-22 Gen Three on market because they make PD'S an offer they can not refuse to upgrade to Gen 4 Pistols  and

quite a few departments going back to  nine or forty five.  I used to prefer S&W in the 6906/4006 era stainless and function.

Its evident you've decided upon an M&P 40, more specifically a used LEA trade in, so go for it. Pluses are availability of accessories, negatives are its night sights if it has them installed. When LEA service pistols are traded its at or near the end of any tritium night sights service life cycle. You might squeak out another year or three of diminishing ambient light from them before replacing them.

Bottom line, go with what you want because its your money. Broader view don't get too wrapped around the lower cost of a LEA trade in purchase opportunities from a firearms distributor. Frequently you can find a lightly used, much newer trade in at a LGS at a fair market price. Buying from said LGS helps keep them in business thereby helping the shooting community.

I didn't realize it was evident, and in fact I'm leaning torwards the Glock. :lol:

I appreciate the info about why the PDs are dumping them.

Hell, I might just get both. :lol:
I bought my M&P 40 first, then my wife shot it. Had to get her the 9 and she likes it as her nightstand gun. She carries the Kahe more. More and more I've carried and a different brand and caliber but I shoot the 40 pretty good. Got a Crimson trace for her, and 357 Sig barrel and a Storm Lake 9 conversion barrel during the ammo craze. I'm pretty much covered if ammo went side ways again. But I've since went in different direction and I'm keeping the 40 the more as 2 is 1 so if any thing happens with her 9. But it's also the 1st I think about selling when I something new. Less than 1000 rounds through all barrel but the trigger has got a lot better. In the hand feel made the difference for me. For me also getting rid of of 2 caliber (buying ammo) would help me but I haven't got there yet. I believe in your case it's gonna determine which feels the best in hand along with the $$$.
I own several M&P’s and have owned several others. They are as good as a $400-500 Tupperware gun gets.

Everyone will have their opinion; some hate them others love them. Many departments have gone with the M&P and many more will. Some will change from the M&P to something else. But to say PD’s are dumping them is as ridiculous as saying they are all dumping 9mm or 40S&W ammo.

If you like collecting go with the M&P; I’m trying to collect the whole family. I have a full size 40, Compact 40, Shield 40, M&P15T and M&P15-22. I’m waiting on a heavier barrel with a quad rail to get the M&P 308.

I don’t have any aftermarket parts on mine, haven’t needed any, but I don’t know what’s available for the Glock that’s not available for the M&P.

Shoot them both and look them over closely for fit and function.

I wouldn’t buy used or Police trade-ins if you can save up awhile longer and get new. It’s not fair to judge a guns performance unless you know its history.
  • Like 1
I wouldn't be quick to dismiss a M&P just because Atlanta dumped theirs. For every department that dumps their M&Ps their is another department adopting them; pretty much the same with 9mm. The Indiana State Police dumped 9mm recently after using them for over 30 years.

Some of the reviews I've seen on youtube tend to find a lot of similarities in the guns.

I just want a .40 to add my carry rotation, and I am not particularly swayed by the Glock branding. That being said, there is an endless wealth of aftermarket parts for Glocks.

BUT, the price on the M&P police trade-ins at Buds is almost too irresistible to pass up. I don't baby guns either as I am a collector by nature for my own enjoyment.. Not necessarily for resale value. So, slightly used or even well worn doesn't phase me.

Thoughts?

I'd get the G22 for the fact that it can be all detail stripped with a nail or punch or whatever sharp thing you have laying around . The M&P is nice and is great too. I had one . But it has roll pins that need a roll pin punch and hammer to detail strip.  They will both serve you well ! 

As far as how well each gun will do what service pistols need to do.... not a nickel's worth of difference between them.  Try to shoot both, and buy the one you shoot best.

For me, I prefer the M&P.  But in this instance, I'd probably buy the Glock, because 9mm conversion barrels are plentiful and cheap.