X-Bows

mj12

Didn't really know where to post this message, but this forum seem the most likely place... I'm seriously considering picking up an xbow, nothing too expensive or with a lot of bells and whistles. Before I cough up the cash, I'd like to try a couple out, perhaps hook up at an archery range/event and learn about what to look/look out for, etc.. I started to register on tndeer.com, but I refuse to enter my complete address, phone number, etc, all of which is apparently required information. Any TGO'ers out there are that share a common interest?

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of their hunting bows will get the job done. Don't get hung up on speed... to my mind it's really not that important inside the 40 yd range. 

I've got the 355 matrix and its bolts have blown clear through every deer I've shot, often cleanly shearing bone along the way.

I've wanted a bow for a couple years but don't know much about them. The excaliburs look nice. Are there any decent crossbows below the ~$550 price point? Or is it better just to invest in the excalibur or similar models.

I've wanted a bow for a couple years but don't know much about them. The excaliburs look nice. Are there any decent crossbows below the ~$550 price point? Or is it better just to invest in the excalibur or similar models.

^^^This. It's hard for me to justify a expenditure of that size that doesn't go bang. Kinda the same reason I haven't gotten an OTF blade as of yet.

I went through a couple of bows before settling on excalibur. While they did the job just fine, I'd inevitably have to take it to the shop for one thing or another.

Broken string, broken little plastic slidey bit, it was always something, and the only way to get it fixed was to take it to the shop.

W/ the Excalibur, I keep a spare string in my pocket when I hunt w/ it.

It's so simple I can change the string in 2 minutes and be back hunting in no time. For me, it's worth every penny.

Now, that being said, the ONLY reason I use a bow is so I don't miss out on half of hunting season... I hate spending the money, but I hate not hunting even more.

I hunt with a Wicked Ridge Warrior. Wicked Ridge is the "economy" line made by Ten Point. Great quality great customer service. Waver creations.com is a great site I can recommend.

I enjoy hunting with a crossbow. Hope you will too.
  • 2 weeks later...

I hunt with a Wicked Ridge Warrior. Wicked Ridge is the "economy" line made by Ten Point. Great quality great customer service. Waver creations.com is a great site I can recommend.

I enjoy hunting with a crossbow. Hope you will too.

And the price is about what I'm wanting to spend... http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Ridge-Warrior-Crossbow-175-Pound/dp/B007WBHD6O.This looks interesting: http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Ridge-Invader-Crossbow-180-Pound/dp/B007D0G9TQ . Is the self-retracting rope-cocking system a gimmick, or is it something that's actually useful? I cannot justify spending $500 or more unless I know it's something that it's something I'm going to stick with. If it turns out to be a "sport" that really piques my interest, then I'll reconsider something more "top shelf".

BTW, what's the advantage of a "reverse" xbow? The prices are outrageous, even the Barnett Vengeance is over $800!

Thanks!

Edited by mj12