chili recipe?

I use the recipe on the side of the Bush's chili bean can.  :ugh:

Seriously, it makes good chili.  I add a bunch more chopped peppers (various kinds), onions, and celery, than it says and I also add 1 or 2 more cans of different kinds beans and some crushed/chopped tomatoes (my chili ends up resembling stew).  I add all that stuff because I like it, and to fill up the crock pot, which is pretty big.    Dump it all in the crock pot and leave it all day.  Add a pan of cornbread... yum. 

• Like 1

So, I don't have a recipe - I just add till it tastes right. That being said:

I really enjoy using more than one type of pepper. Usually goes something like this for an all meat chili:

1. Brown white onions and fresh crushed garlic in a skillet with some butter.

2. Brown ground meat (venison, sausage, beef, whatever) in the skillet with the onions and garlic, add salt and black pepper(easy on the pepper) to taste

3. Transfer the meat and drippings to stock pot (or crock pot). Add tomato sauce for liquid. If you've got some homemade- awesome, if not, hunt's does ok too. Don't add too much, the tomato will mess up your flavors!

3b. Begin the simmer. Add some chopped bell peppers if you want some sweet flavor.

Spice it up! Add your chili powder to taste. Or, make your own. I use these combos:

- For some awesome flavors, try adding Guajillo, Ancho, and Poblano peppers. You can chop them up, or just add the dried powder (available in international section of most grocery stores).

- Turn up the heat - cayenne.

- Add some savory - Cumin, oregano, bit of paprika (easy with this, you're not making meaty ketchup!) if you care for it.

Venison has low fat content - it may be helpful to add some ground pork or hamburger. Something fatty. Fats bind capsaicin, preventing it from burning your mouth as badly, which will allow you to add more hot pepper flavors without adding too much extra heat. Be careful, it's easy to get carried away with all these different peppers. Small doses make big differences.

I usually end up using .5 - 1 oz of whatever chili powder mix I've concocted per 1-2 pounds of ground meat.

Make sure you cook it at least 4 hours on a low simmer.

Edited by cj0e
  • Like 2

My other recipe, is for a stupid simple hearty&filling chili with beans.

Buy some bloemer's chili powder packets.

Add 1 packet to each 1.5 pounds of ground meat while you're browning the meat. I always brown the meat with onions and garlic. Just gotta do it.

Add 3 different kinds of beans. I like to add Luck's Pinto Beans (flavored with pork), light Red kidney beans, and Black beans. Add what you like. 1 can of each per pound of meat.

Add 1 normal sized can of Rotel with green chiles (original) per pound of meat.

Add your tomato sauce. Not too much, not too little. Just guess. I only buy the normal sized cans, it's easy to get carried away with the big stuff, and the only way to fix that is to make the chili batch bigger.

Simmer the whole mess for minimum of 4 hours.

Enjoy the chili. We fed this to a bunch of scouts and webelos and their parents last weekend (using large quantities, of course!) Everyone went back for seconds, and there was only one bowl's worth of chili left at the end of the night. Easy cleanup!

PS: Just go slow and always small doses on adding your ingredients, oh, and don't burn it. Chili's easy, you can't screw it up.

Edited by cj0e
  • Like 1

I use the recipe on the side of the Bush's chili bean can.  :ugh:

Seriously, it makes good chili.  I add a bunch more chopped peppers (various kinds), onions, and celery, than it says and I also add 1 or 2 more cans of different kinds beans and some crushed/chopped tomatoes (my chili ends up resembling stew).  I add all that stuff because I like it, and to fill up the crock pot, which is pretty big.    Dump it all in the crock pot and leave it all day.  Add a pan of cornbread... yum. 

That's my kind of recipe. I don't think you can add too much stuff when cooking in a crock pot.

I'm going to blow your mind with one small detail. Use V8 juice instead of just plain ol tomato juice. It adds most of the vegetable taste everyone wants. You can still add mushrooms, peppers, pinto beans and all the other stuff you like. Let a good portion of the water cook off or add a little tomato paste. I add chili powder and just a little extra cayenne pepper to give it some kick.    

• Like 1

Mix together 16 oz. pack of chorizo (real chorizo not johnsonville) and your meat (1 lb venison or ground beef), your dry spices (chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powder, and some smoked paprika).

Brown the meat mix with some chopped onions and bell peppers.

Once that is done you can drain the oil if you wish or just transfer everything to either a crock pot or regular pot.

Add a can of Bush’s Best Texas Ranchero Grillin' Beans, a can of black beans , a can of diced tomatoes with green chili to your taste, or just diced tomatoes.

Add beer if you want.

A jar of you salsa. Use whatever you like. I like the smokey chipolte.

A small can of chipolte peppers. Use one or two, or more if you really like it hot. Just dice them up real good before you add them.

(optional) A small can of corn and some chopped mushrooms.

Just let simmer so all the flavors mix. Either a few hours or even over night. Add salt to taste.

Good with cornbread, with cheese, or just about anyway you can think to serve it.

Edited by guygene
  • Like 1

I'm going to blow your mind with one small detail. Use V8 juice instead of just plain ol tomato juice. It adds most of the vegetable taste everyone wants. You can still add mushrooms, peppers, pinto beans and all the other stuff you like. Let a good portion of the water cook off or add a little tomato paste. I add chili powder and just a little extra cayenne pepper to give it some kick.    

V8?  Interesting idea, I may have to try that.  And mushrooms, you reminded me of mushrooms. 

With all the peppers, veggies, and such, you don't need to add a lot of water.  I don't saute anything first (I do brown the meat) so the veggies cook down and release a lot of liquid.  It can end up runny if you're not careful. 

Another idea... if you want to add a little spice, use a can of rotel tomatoes instead of plain tomato sauce/paste. 

As others have said, it's hard to screw up chili.  About the only way I know of is to put in too much salt.  I can't stand salty chili.  I don't add any extra salt to mine, all the ingredients have plenty already. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

Chili is one of those foods that I associate the taste to what I had growing up. This is what was passed down to me and now my oldest made her first batch a few weeks ago and nailed it. 

It is a very simple recipe, not a competition winner ( I like Beans!) but this is what chili is to me :)

~3 lbs meat
2 cloves garlic
1 med onion chopped
2/3 to whole 2.5 oz jar chili powder
3 Tbs cumin
5 15 oz cans kidney beans
2 cans Rotel
4 28 oz cans tomato sauce
1 28 oz can crushed tomato

Brown meat, onions and the spices together.

Add everything else. Let cook for an hour or so and add 1-2 cups water if needed.

Simmer as long as you can stand the aroma without eating. Just don't burn the bottom! 
Edited by 1madss

My recipe pretty much duplicates Carroll Shelby's. You can't go wrong with a packet of his fixins.

I like the Carroll Shelby mix. I don't make chili from only ground venison. I either add ground pork or ground beef. I just don't care for ground venison without significant fat added. If you added enough fat to your grind, then it's probably good to go. The chorizo idea is a winner. Adds flavor and fat.

Off topic:
Adding minced onions with the ground meat will help add some moisture to venison burgers. I still add pork sausage or ground beef.
  • 2 weeks later...

I made this one last night with hamburger it was top notch

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/slow-cooker-chili-crock-pot-giveaway/

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 medium red or yellow onion, peeled and diced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped (*add more for extra smokyness and heat)
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (**see below for substitution ideas)
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
  • 1 cup beer or beef broth
  • 2 Tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • (Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips or strips, thinly-sliced green onions, sour cream, salsa, etc.)
DIRECTIONS:

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. (Or if you are using this Crock-Pot slow cooker, heat oil in the ceramic stovetop-safe bowl on the stove over medium-high heat.) Add the ground beef, onion and garlic and cook for about 7-10 minutes or until the beef is completely browned, crumbling the beef with a spoon as it cooks. Drain about half of the excess fat. Then transfer the beef into the bottom of a slow cooker. (Or transfer the stovetop-safe bowl back into the slow cooker.)

Add the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper or seasonings if need be.

Serve warm, with desired toppings.

You have a crock pot?

Here it goes:

1 lb ground deer (browned)

2 cans pinto beans (drained)

2 cans tomato sauce

lemon juice

black peper

salt

cumin

chili powder

dried, diced onion

cilantro

garlic powder

Tabasco sauce (optional)

Season ground meat with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, diced onion, garlic powder, and cilantro, and brown in skillet.

Add drained, canned pinto beans, tomato sauce, lemon juice, more salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, diced onion, cilantro, and garlic powder.

Add Tabasco sauce if you like it spicy.

Add browned, ground meat.

Stir, and cook for 6-8 hour on low in crock pot.

My family loves this easy recipe. You'll need to decide amounts of each ingredient based on your preferences, as I do not measure anything.