300 BO pistol build. Suppressor?

I am planning to build my first 300 blackout, first pistol and first suppressor. I know this has been discussed before but can't seem to dig it up using my ipad. I stuck this in the Class III forum because I want to make a wise choice concerning the can.

I am thinking 8"-8.5" bbl with pistol gas and Sig brace (I may eventually SBR). Does this bbl length work well with subsonic 300BO and any suppressor recommendations for that setup? Any suggestions or pics of similar setup is appreciated! Any other considerations I should think about when selecting a can? I'll be using a trust.

I use a Rainier 8.5" also with good results.  I shoot it with both a YHM qd and a Ti AAC 300-TM.  I prefer the AAC as it is quieter and lighter.  Really any 7.62 can will sound decent with 300 subs.  Here are a few others you may want to check out:

sdn-6 as mentioned earlier

specwar 762

saker 762

liberty chaotic

liberty freedom

yhm m2

You need to consider weight, length, mount, construction, dB reduction, and possibly cost.  My advice is not to let cost sway you and really consider weight.  It may not sound like a lot but you WILL notice a heavier can.  Think about your primary role for the rifle and let that guide you as well. 

• Like 1
I have a YHM Phantom M2 with a 10.5" Alpha Shooting Sports barrel. Works great. I was gonna get an SDN6 but the YHM was $300 cheaper and meters to the point a naked ear can't tell the difference, at least mine can't. Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 1

I've got a 9" AAC barrel that works well with both sub and supersonic ammo, haven't managed to get a suppressor for it yet. I did have to upgrade my CMT bolt to an extra power extractor spring to get it to eject properly.

• Like 1

I am making my own suppressor and hoping it will be effective. I am using titanium, stainless steel and possibly aluminum if I can find someone local to me to anodize the aluminum parts. If not I will use titanium. Aluminum is lighter but titanium is stronger. The outer tube will be titanium and the end caps will be 316ss. Dimensions are 1.5"x9".

It will have a 1" tube full of K baffles on the inside and that will be encases in 1.5" outer tube. The inner tube will vent its blast baffle into the area between the inner and out tube. Any excess gas will be forced through the K baffles.

• Like 1

I am making my own suppressor and hoping it will be effective. I am using titanium, stainless steel and possibly aluminum if I can find someone local to me to anodize the aluminum parts. If not I will use titanium. Aluminum is lighter but titanium is stronger. The outer tube will be titanium and the end caps will be 316ss. Dimensions are 1.5"x9".

It will have a 1" tube full of K baffles on the inside and that will be encases in 1.5" outer tube. The inner tube will vent its blast baffle into the area between the inner and out tube. Any excess gas will be forced through the K baffles.

Interesting design.  Almost like a reflex that's in front of the barrel instead.  Traditionally K baffles are used for subsonic applications so I'm anxious to hear your results with supersonic ammo with your "tube within a tube" design.

There is a guy over on silencertalk who had a similar design only he used 60 degree cones and the outer space was a part of the blast chamber.  In other words, he didn't vent the inner tube.  His results in 5.56 were mostly successful if I recall.

I have no intentions of shooting supersonic with mine. It will be used for 300 Blackout 99% of the time.

Think of it as an oversized G5-22 from Gemtech.

A few pictures of the G5-22:

15ao7c.jpg

The K baffles are on the inside of the inner tube and the outer tube is in compression from the end caps screwing into the inner tube.

The picture is from here and is not mine:

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73727

I have no intentions of shooting supersonic with mine. It will be used for 300 Blackout 99% of the time.

15ao7c.jpg

The K baffles are on the inside of the inner tube and the outer tube is in compression from the end caps screwing into the inner tube.

Gotcha.  Keep us updated with your results. 

OP, sorry for the slight thread derail.

Thanks all. That's great info! I'm really looking forward to building this rifle and especially getting my first can. I'll do some research on the suggestions made and try to figure out which one might work best for me. I'm glad to hear that suppressed 300bo is going to work out with the shorter bbl.

I use a Rainier 8.5" also with good results. I shoot it with both a YHM qd and a Ti AAC 300-TM. I prefer the AAC as it is quieter and lighter. Really any 7.62 can will sound decent with 300 subs. Here are a few others you may want to check out:

sdn-6 as mentioned earlier
specwar 762
saker 762
liberty chaotic
liberty freedom
yhm m2

You need to consider weight, length, mount, construction, dB reduction, and possibly cost. My advice is not to let cost sway you and really consider weight. It may not sound like a lot but you WILL notice a heavier can. Think about your primary role for the rifle and let that guide you as well.

Weight is something that i definitely want to keep down, so weight and length are a big factor for me. I was originally thinking of going budget, but I've since decided that it'll be worth it to spend more and be happy with what I get. Edited by Batman

15ao7c.jpg

That sounds like a cool design. :up: I'm looking forward to see how it turns out. I enjoy making/building stuff when I can, so I think that's awesome to be able to build your own.

And as far as K baffles being for subsonic ammunition only we shall see. I believe it has more to do with the initial baffle design and blast chamber size than anything else. I will try some lightly loaded supersonics to see how well it works and maybe go up from there.

Weight will be an issue because it will have SS throughout the can. Also, I have no intentions of welding anything together. If I had a mill I would try to make a mono core baffle. Even if I don't I might contact Liberty to see if they could make one of their outstanding mono core baffles for it. I estimate I will need about 5"-7" worth of baffles. The initial blast baffle will be made out of 17-4 SS because it stands up very well to blast and erosion. It is also a type of steel I can harden at home. It hardens at ~900 degrees and it just so happens that open air charcoal burns at a temperature that will harden it. I have done it before and it worked great.

When I build it I plan on taking a lot of pictures.

But the biggest challenge will be standing at the machine itself. I cannot stand for very long at a time so what would take most people a day or two to do will take me several weeks.

And as far as K baffles being for subsonic ammunition only we shall see. I believe it has more to do with the initial baffle design and blast chamber size than anything else. I will try some lightly loaded supersonics to see how well it works and maybe go up from there.

Weight will be an issue because it will have SS throughout the can. Also, I have no intentions of welding anything together. If I had a mill I would try to make a mono core baffle. Even if I don't I might contact Liberty to see if they could make one of their outstanding mono core baffles for it. I estimate I will need about 5"-7" worth of baffles. The initial blast baffle will be made out of 17-4 SS because it stands up very well to blast and erosion. It is also a type of steel I can harden at home. It hardens at ~900 degrees and it just so happens that open air charcoal burns at a temperature that will harden it. I have done it before and it worked great.

When I build it I plan on taking a lot of pictures.

But the biggest challenge will be standing at the machine itself. I cannot stand for very long at a time so what would take most people a day or two to do will take me several weeks.

Well, not necessarily subs only but they tend to be more effective with lower pressure according to my reading.  Either way, I'll be looking for your results.

Liberty is taking custom work at the moment, but it comes at a price.  I requested a quote for a Ti can for 458 socom and their response was $2k.  I decided to Form1 my own for <$100.  It won't be made of Ti and it will be a simple freeze plug can, but it'll knock the bark out of that round. 

Good luck with your build.  I wish I had a lathe or a mill....maybe some day. 

6484D019-F4C7-4C09-A3B9-CC007537D92B_zps

Noveske 8.2 inch 300 blk.  

YHM Phantom 308 QD.  

It works.  Really well.  REALLY well. 

This is my sister shooting that setup with Gemtech 220 grain subs.  The guy standing up is shooting a 5.56 and the guy at the end is shooting a 22lr.  So if you pay attention, you can hear the difference of the three.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVeWNQYBNGM

• Like 1

Want me to add you to a conversation I am having with a couple of people about homebuilt freeze plug cans? I laid out all the parts, where to buy and it should be really cheap. It is also a 100% stainless can which means you can use coolant to really take the bark out of anything you shoot.

Yes, that would be great.  Thanks.

I would recommend giving our Mystic X a look.  It is light, not too long and suppresses the 300 BLK in both supers and subs extremely well.  In addition, it is rated for a ton of other calibers as well which makes it an even better investment.

Give me a call if you want to learn more about it.  706-661-6911.

Tim @ Liberty

• Like 1