Kitchen knife recommendations

I'm looking at getting a set of Wusthof or Shun knives. I'm leaning towards Wusthof as they appear to keep their edge longer.

Does anyone have a recommendation or know where the best place to get them is? So far, Bed, Bath, and Beyond had a 20% off coupon on the Wusthof which seems the cheapest.
We have wustoff and Henkel, worth their weight in gold if you are avid cooks.
We picked up our first set at the PX, the rest we bought off if eBay. They're not cheap but will last many many years with heavy use, probably a lifetime!

Stay away from the low end models, do some homework and shop around. Good luck!

We have a set of "Old Hickory" knifes we picked up at a yard sale 25 years ago.

These are plain old steel, best knife set we have.

We do have more modern sets, but I reach for the old Hickory for every thing I cut in the kitchen.

Edited by RED333
Look around online, maybe like knifetrader or the like. As far as those brands go they are pretty good. The Shun is a more japanese feel, Wusthof is more of a classic feel. Personally I like the Shun. Are you looking for knives to cook with, or for place setting? If you want some nice chef knives check out Japanesechefknife.com.
My favorite ones so far are the Hattori, also check out Mac knives. These are more exspensive, but if you've never tried one its a world of difference. If your not using them much go with the cheeper ones.
  • Like 2
We bought a set or Rada Cutlery American Made knives (6 assorted kitchen knives) for $30 total brand new. Very sharp compared to anything we've had before. When the razor edge starts to dull, just apply one pass throught their $6 sharpener and good as new.

Sorry I know that wasn't what the OP's question, was but perhaps it'll help other folks looking In that price range. We're hooked on Rada.
I got a couple of Henkel knives years ago at either Ross or TJ Maxx at a deep discount. They are my go to knives for food prep. You probably won find a full set but I usually only use a few different knives depending on what I'm cutting. I've seen other quality kitchen knives there as well.
-southernasylum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got a few Sanelli knives and a few Mundial knives. My aunt used to work for a company that sold them commercially so I got them at very friendly prices. Wish I'd gotten more.

The Sanelli's are larger and heavier and have been great for many years. The Mundial knives are smaller, lighter and don't hold an edge quite as well. But they do sharpen quite easily.

I don't see any reason, if you're not a chef, to spend all that money on imported knives.  Chicago Cutlery makes good knives that are perfectly adequate for the home kitchen.  Learn to sharpen and the CC knives are all you'll ever need in your kitchen.

• Moderators

So the only "set" of kitchen knives that I've ever owned are the ridiculously cheap ones that we received as a wedding gift. They suck.

Just curious, where does Cutco place in regards to the above mentioned knives? I ask because back after high school graduation several buddies "got a job" selling knives for them. By "got a job" I mean they sold their knives to friends and family because that is sorta how their business model is; Take advantage of high school graduates and have them sell knives to their friends and family. Each of them made several grand a month for a few months then quit trying because everyone they knew had purchased as much as they were going to.

I was impressed by the knives but hated the sales tactics/business model.

I plan on getting a nice set of knives someday but I think a house comes first.

Wusthof Classic here, passed down from my Mother, looking at them you would never guess that they are 40+ years old even though I used them professionally for a few years in college working in a restaurant. Haven't used any others but wouldn't trade my set of Wusthof's for any other knives I've seen.

I'm looking at getting a set of Wusthof or Shun knives. I'm leaning towards Wusthof as they appear to keep their edge longer.
Does anyone have a recommendation or know where the best place to get them is? So far, Bed, Bath, and Beyond had a 20% off coupon on the Wusthof which seems the cheapest.

Check kitchen collection and le gourmet chef at a tanger outlet.

Otherwise a close eye on ebay and you might snag one.

We bought a set or Rada Cutlery American Made knives (6 assorted kitchen knives) for $30 total brand new. Very sharp compared to anything we've had before. When the razor edge starts to dull, just apply one pass throught their $6 sharpener and good as new.

Sorry I know that wasn't what the OP's question, was but perhaps it'll help other folks looking In that price range. We're hooked on Rada.

For the money, you can't beat Rada a knives. They are my everyday cut and chop knives. For steak knives, I love my Cutco's. I have had them 16 years hey are still sharp as ever.. Expensive, but worth the money in my opinion.

So the only "set" of kitchen knives that I've ever owned are the ridiculously cheap ones that we received as a wedding gift. They suck.

Just curious, where does Cutco place in regards to the above mentioned knives? I ask because back after high school graduation several buddies "got a job" selling knives for them. By "got a job" I mean they sold their knives to friends and family because that is sorta how their business model is; Take advantage of high school graduates and have them sell knives to their friends and family. Each of them made several grand a month for a few months then quit trying because everyone they knew had purchased as much as they were going to.

I was impressed by the knives but hated the sales tactics/business model.

I plan on getting a nice set of knives someday but I think a house comes first.

I have a set. Fit and finish is exceptional, they are sharp, keep an edge, and are also ergonomic. I prefer them over any of the consumer grade knives I've used (since I don't have to buy them again): my concentration for my A.A.S. was culinary arts, so I've used quite a few different consumer grade and commercial grade brands. (Wustof, Henkels, etc.)

You pay more for the finish and the domestic manufacturing, as well as their warranty.

I didn't buy mine from a vendor, I bought them direct through the mail, and believe I saved some money on them that way (this was quite some time ago).

I recommend going to a chef or restaurant supply store and looking at their commercial grade sets if you don't care about looks or warranties. There are a lot of great "commercial" grade knives that aren't too pretty (fugly as all hell to be honest) and lack the "feel" quality of Cutco, Henkels, etc. They're functionally equivalent and cost a fraction of high end consumer knives, and professionals use them on a daily basis at work. Edited by Ted S.

Just curious, where does Cutco place in regards to the above mentioned knives?...

Cutco makes some pretty decent stuff, just no snob appeal. :) They own Ka-Bar, btw, so they do know good stuff.

I'm quite lower mid range on my kitchen stuff. Sort of drifted into individual Cold Steel stuff over time, like Western Hunter and Long Hunter and Roach Belly, and eventually got a CS set, only about 150 clams, so no snob appeal there either, but they most certainly do the job.

59KSET_m.jpg

I still keep a couple of big cheapo serrated bohunks around for the more brutal stuff like sawing through raw rib sections and bone and whatnot, too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot