Our new friend

Howler

Thanks guys. His name is Drake. I think his original race name was CTW Drake. I haven't looked at his tattoo to make sure and I guess it doesn't really matter. He's a very lovable dog and a bit of a night owl. He doesn't like to be away from people and that worries me just a bit. I know how much trouble they can get in when nobody is around. I've had to adjust a little too. Being used to total silence when sleeping the clanking of the dog tag makes for a restless night.  

• Like 1

Thanks guys. His name is Drake. I think his original race name was CTW Drake. I haven't looked at his tattoo to make sure and I guess it doesn't really matter. He's a very lovable dog and a bit of a night owl. He doesn't like to be away from people and that worries me just a bit. I know how much trouble they can get in when nobody is around. I've had to adjust a little too. Being used to total silence when sleeping the clanking of the dog tag makes for a restless night.  

Awesome name! Oh, by the way, we are a bunch of dog update/pic hogs here, so keep the thread going....even if it includes a pile of stuffing that used to be in a cushion  :rofl:

• Like 1

Get'cha some tag silencers.

Dress up that Jeep some.

Congrats on the dog.

He's been with us now for a week and his personality is starting to shine. Vet says he checks out with a clean bill of health,so we stopped by the park for a short but very fast run.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mayx4/media/IMG_7358.jpg.html]IMG_7358.jpg[/URL]

IMG_7359.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mayx4/media/IMG_7359.jpg.html]IMG_7359.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mayx4/media/IMG_7327.jpg.html]IMG_7327.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mayx4/media/IMG_7344.jpg.html]IMG_7344.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Howler
  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Well our new friend seems to have a temper problem. A couple weeks ago he tried to bite my wife's face while she was loving on him. Drake was awake and alert while my wife was petting on him. With a growl and a snap he tried to bite her nose. Luckily she pulled her head away just in time. She thought that maybe his nose was scratched during the time she was rubbing his head causing him to lash out. We figured no harm no foul and moved on. Now this dog will let you love on him 24-7. If the petting stops he will move closer or put a paw on ya to get it started again. So it seems plausible that my wife did cause his actions.  

Fast forward till last night. The dog is sitting at my daughters feet having his back stroked when all of the sudden he spins on a dime and bites her on the mouth. No reason for it to happen this time. He's been fed, walked, watered, and very well cared for over the last month. While I sat at the ER for 6 hours waiting on stitches to be put in her mouth I cant tell you the stuff that went through my mind. The dog has become family. My family and I love him but can no longer trust him. The rescue we got him from had us sign paperwork stating that we will return him to them should there be a problem. I have no problem with that as long as they tell the adopting family that he bites. I hate it! He was working out with us so well. He obviously has some kind of problem. Something sets him off and I don't what. A twenty year old me would have handled this in a totally different way.                                                                                                                                          

Edited by Howler
I am so sorry this happened and wish your daughter speedy healing.

The pup: Take him back on the condition that you are able to inform the adopting family of his behavior with you. Inform the rescue group that if they have a problem with that, you will gladly let them explain to animal control or news ch4 why they think it is appropriate to adopt out a known biter while hiding the truth and endangering other people and children.

This is nothing to mess around with. Surely the group will show the utmost concern for both humans and dog, but if they don't, cut off ties and/or expose them. There is no sense in dogs getting more of a bad rep because some agency wants to close their eyes and whistle dixie in Cloud Coo Coo Land.

If the dog really snaps and bites with no provocation or warning, he may need to be put down. That is a hard pill to swallow, and I can't know for sure not being involved, but it is something you may want to give some thought. Edited by Peace

Been there, and it sucks. Had to hold my young 'un down while the doc stitched him up. Not the most fun I've ever had.

I didn't get overly excited when it happened. My daughters was my number one priority at the time and I took care of her without hesitation. But when I walked back in the house this morning, after seeing her in tears, the sight of the dog made my blood boil.   

He obviously has some kind of problem. Something sets him off and I don't what.                                                                                                                                  

In either instance you mentioned, did he yelp like he had been hurt right before his aggressive behavior?    Maybe he has an area that is painful due to a old injury and is being hurt during the petting.    Either way, I don't think you can keep the dog especially around a child.   It's a hard decision to give up a pet but I think it's best for everyone's safety.   

We had to put down a dog several years ago with behavioral problems.  It was a Chihuahua which isn't uncommon to have some issues.  It showed aggression as a small puppy and our vet said "this isn't good".    We tried numerous things to help including having a professional behavioral trainer get involved and it didn't get any better.   I truly think the dog wasn't "wired" right in the head.   The final straw was an ER visit for my wife to get stitches on her ear.