My First Knife

I finished this about a week ago. My instructor was YouTube and I had a great time making it. I am not looking for at a boys or good job, but I am looking for constructive criticism. If you are a knife maker that is close to Franklin, I would love to come buy and see your shop and possibly watch you work. If I need to pay to do this I will. The scales are wenge and the steel is a bar I had sitting in the garage. Thanks for looking.

th_546720fdadb30dd53a9a907a13b38bf0_zps8

th_6f406038718eda6c62b72fc1a6b94507_zps4

th_3ba7a0289c77b195f4fb0f620d548948_zps2

th_6b92d32559b49146edd21dcd716ca4d0_zps0

th_4c0ead9082511194e334991fd1f9b8eb_zpsc

th_ab612480bb4268ee9511304a88bb5c15_zpsc

th_1cc5b80fa4effcf2848501570a895c96_zps9

• Like 2
It was just a bar in my garage. I am sure it was d1. I had no idea what that meant when I started. I did heat treat it, but I don't know how successful I was. I heated it till it was demagnetized and then plunged it in oil. I put it in the oven for 4 hrs at 350. I read so many things on the net I was not sure what was best, so I just went for it. I buffed it then sharpened it. The reason that I think it was not tempered right, is that it sharpened easily.

If you think, or know that it was tempered wrong please let me know.

What would be a good steel to start with in my next knife? I am not going to use the rest of the bar. I was thinking a file and I have a couple of old saw blades.

Thank you for the offer to come to Portland. I my take you up on that around Thanksgiving if you don't have to much going on. Edited by Odessa7979
  • Authorized Vendor

It was just a bar in my garage. I am sure it was d1. I had no idea what that meant when I started. I did heat treat it, but I don't know how successful I was. I heated it till it was demagnetized and then plunged it in oil. I put it in the oven for 4 hrs at 350. I read so many things on the net I was not sure what was best, so I just went for it. I buffed it then sharpened it. The reason that I think it was not tempered right, is that it sharpened easily.

If you think, or know that it was tempered wrong please let me know.

What would be a good steel to start with in my next knife? I am not going to use the rest of the bar. I was thinking a file and I have a couple of old saw blades.

Thank you for the offer to come to Portland. I my take you up on that around Thanksgiving if you don't have to much going on.

I'm not saying it was or wasn't hardened or tempered properly. I was just asking how you knew if it was. If it sharpened easily it's a good bet something wasn't quite right. You can test the hardness with a file. Lightly run a file over it. On the blade section it will have a glassy and smooth feel and sound. Compare this to how it sounds on the tang section that hasn't been hardened. There will be a difference.

If they sound the same you should repeat the hardening process. Bring it back up to temp and quench it again!

1084 or 1095 are good carbon steels for knife making. They work quite well when annealed and if heat treated and tempered properly provide a good finished edge that holds it's edge well and is able to be resharpened by the user.

If you use files make sure you use old Nickolson files that were made in the USA. Don't buy new ones...they are mostly case hardened and are not suitable for knife making. Some of the older saw blades can make a good blade. You don't really know what kind of steel it is but if you follow your heat treating/tempering processes you can end up with a fine blade. 

I actually cut a couple of pieces off some saw blades and sent them  to my heat treater and he identified what steel they were and if they could be heat treated.

• 3 weeks later...