Texas fixing open carry laws

Doesn't this kinda sound like the same thing that a governor of a state that's initials are T and N said about constitutional carry the LAST time he got elected???? It's an easy thing to say and be true if you never let it get your desk like Haslam has done.

• Like 2
That is how the game is played. You can say anything as governor as long as you have the friends in state house and senate that will keep the things you don't want to address off your desk.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Doesn't this kinda sound like the same thing that a governor of a state that's initials are T and N said about constitutional carry the LAST time he got elected???? It's an easy thing to say and be true if you never let it get your desk like Haslam has done.

I am not sure why any one thought this would fly!!! It would mean giving up a fee the state makes money on and when has anyone every see a state give up any money once they get their grubby little fingers on it. Hell folks Income tax was suppose to end after World War II also!! It was suppose to be a war tax. It was a war tax ok. Problem is they didn't say the war was between the government and the people. They saw it as a good thing and people were just paying for the war effort so  they decided the people could pay for other things too. And we still are!!!!!

In all fairness 30 states recognize the right to carry a handgun without a permit....  14 other states require their citizens to purchase the right (for example TN)... and only 6 states prohibit the right altogether, TX, FL, SC, CA, IL, NY

TN needs to get with the program and become a no permit open carry state (although no permit concealed carry would be even better)...  along with the vast majority of other states...  Every state we touch with 2 exceptions, GA and SC allow unlicensed open carry and those states aren't seeing any problems...

And I agree we need better gun laws and should model our laws on states such as AZ, WY, and VT.... not TX.

WTF? Massachusetts is the standard for handgun carry?

I’m always amused that “I wish we had a gun law like....” never ends with one of the four states that recognize the 2nd amendment as a right.

Texas is not the most ideal model for handgun carry.  There are some good points but also some not so good points.  One bad point is that Texas has signs that can be put up that basically invalidate your license and open you up to carrying without a license, a high level misdemeanor.  Now I have never seen these signs anywhere in Texas, but they do exist.  Another bad point is that your license again is basically invalid at a sporting event, when voting, and any place that is specifically a 'bar'.  The bar one is real bad because my understanding it is a felony, even when you have a license.

We at least can't be charged with the whole 'going armed' violation, even with 'no gun' signs. 

Mississippi is much more ideal if you have an enhanced license.  You can carry basically anywhere except inside a courtroom during court and police stations.  Sporting events are ok, inside a school is ok, voting is ok.  The MS enhanced license just requires the same class that we take to get our handgun carry permit.  If you don't want to pay for a license, you can open carry in MS.

• 3 weeks later...

TN needs to get with the program and become a no permit open carry state (although no permit concealed carry would be even better)... along with the vast majority of other states... Every state we touch with 2 exceptions, GA and SC allow unlicensed open carry and those states aren't seeing any problems .

1 exception, TN doesn't touch SC :)
  • Like 1

WTF? Massachusetts is the standard for handgun carry?

I’m always amused that “I wish we had a gun law like....” never ends with one of the four states that recognize the 2nd amendment as a right.

Abbott added, "If open carry is good enough for Massachusetts, it's good enough for Texas."

Yea that boggles my mind also, I would highly advise anyone to "NOT" openly carry their handgun in Massachusetts, "NOT" have a handgun or any firearm whatsoever in Massachusetts, "NOT" even have an NRA decal on your vehicle in Massachusetts, "NOT" even say the word "GUN" in Massachusetts. Of course it's my opinion to "NOT" go to Massachusetts period.

In all fairness 30 states recognize the right to carry a handgun without a permit....  14 other states require their citizens to purchase the right (for example TN)... and only 6 states prohibit the right altogether, TX, FL, SC, CA, IL, NY

TN needs to get with the program and become a no permit open carry state (although no permit concealed carry would be even better)...  along with the vast majority of other states...  Every state we touch with 2 exceptions, GA and SC allow unlicensed open carry and those states aren't seeing any problems...

And I agree we need better gun laws and should model our laws on states such as AZ, WY, and VT.... not TX.

What amazes me... KY has had legal open carry for decades, with no significant problems. How anybody could scream "blood in the streets" with that example is beyond me. They realize how stupid the voters are, I guess.

• Like 1

What amazes me... KY has had legal open carry for decades, with no significant problems. How anybody could scream "blood in the streets" with that example is beyond me. They realize how stupid the voters are, I guess.

Well, it is Kentucky so the blood would be in the mountains. :)