Side Charging AR Billet Upper, Non Reciprocating & Forward Assist!

Tooreal

Hello,

I have wanted everyone to see this New BIllet Upper that I have been trying out, it was Designed basically after the FN FNAL. This side charging upper is the Best & Only Model that actually has a Forward Assist Built into the charging handle! I have Run several thousand Rounds thru it with No issues, and I personally Love this Rig!!

If anyone is interested in trying it out, maybe we can have a Get together in a few different places so anyone that prefers a Side Charging AR, can try this out?
This came from Holland Automatic Rifles and I've given it an Extensive test Run, and I'm in love with this darn thing!
Let me know if anyone is interested?
Thanks
Eric

Having trouble posting pictures? I'll get them up as soon as I can today.

I Sure hope this works now.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s816.photobucket.com/user/toorealforthis/embed/slideshow/1st%20Holland%20Automatic%20Rifle"></iframe>

Edited by Tooreal
Thanks Dolo,

I am still having trouble just getting 5 pictures uploaded? I think its this new ios8 that has me so messed up!

Price for 1 HAR Billet Side Charging Non Reciprocating Upper with Forward Assist, including a Carrier with No Bolt, is $475.00 to your Door!
If you would like to buy a HAR Upper Receiver, but have a Carrier of your own that you would like to Use, the price is $375.00 . Just send the Carrier to Holland Automatic Rifles and they will Mill the 2 small 1/8" OD Slots in the appropriate locations, then Bead-blast the slots on a Chrome or NiBX Carrier. And Spot Blue Milled Slots in a steel Carrier and ship it back to you with your New HAR Side Charging Upper!!!
This HAR Side Charging Upper is Perfect for any and All Applications!!!

Holland Automatic Rifles has a Discount that will be Good for the Rest of this Year, in Honor of Veterans!

Any vet that orders this year will get a 25% discount. Non vets 10%. Promotion offer, one time only!!!! All HAR services and products.
Holland will also be getting back into the 1911 scene.

Just a Side Note from John; Any posing vets will be visited by men in black at 0 dark 30!!!!! Edited by Tooreal

Questions.

Does it take a proprietary BCG?

What is the expected price?

I assume that because it can be used as a forward assist that it is reciprocating. Is that so?

If not does the handle reciprocate?

I REALLY like the New Frontier Armory side charger other than one thing. It does not have a forward assist or a way to ensure the bolt is completely locked up. The price of the NFA side charging upper is also really attractive at $225. And finally the NFA does not use a proprietary BCG, it uses a standard BCG with a special cam pin they supply.

I am still having trouble with the pictures, but the link worked on another computer.  :squint: That was way to difficult for some reason Nothing wanted to work?

George, Thanks for the acknowledgment my friend  :up:

Dolo,

Answers;

This Billet Upper takes a Mil Spec Bolt Carrier, with 1 Short 1/8" OD slot cut into the carrier for the Charging Handle / FA to Engage. I've cut them with a primal tool on an ASA before, but it was Hard Chrome not Melonite Coated though? That could be a little different?

1 Complete Upper with a Bolt Carrier, Minus the Bolt is $485.00 

The side charging handle is Not a Reciprocating Handle. It stays in the Forward position when firing, and only moves when you pull it back to chamber the 1st round of a Mag when loading. The Handle is Also a F/A, press it down towards the carrier & it locks into the carrier ( Notch that is cut ) and you press the Handle forward. It's Good & 10,000X better than ASA that doesn't have anything to offer like that! I personally like the way the entire upper was Designed, you Never have to take your eye off the target, finger off the Trigger (so to speak) Even if you had to cycle another round?  

I'm not familiar with the New Frontier Armory side charger? Is that a plastic or Carbon stuff? I had 1 of their Lowers that Broke so personally I'm done with anything other than aluminum for now anyway. I will check them out though, because I thought that I had tried them all, but these must be fairly new!

Edited by Tooreal

Holland Automatic Rifles will be focusing on Custom Piston Driven Uppers that will cost a Pretty Penny, like LWRC, upwards of POF & stuff that I can't afford!! But right Now they are selling these Billet uppers to Joe public like Me, so I am going to have at least 3 of these Uppers before they go away..

The Upper in the picture that Dolomite Posted is a earlier version Gen 1, I guess? This is a Newer version or 2nd Generation of this Billet Upper, after a few months it was changed to have a Weaver Top Rail for Other Types of Optic Options, and a "U" Shaped Dip in the Upper Top Receiver to Give it added support. 

This reminds me of the LWRC R.E.A.P.E.R. and I personally like that too, but the way it Runs & Operates is what Sold my Sorry Aspirin eaten self!!!  :up:  :rock: But thats just me, and that's why I wanted to let others know about it while its around...

I've already sold my other side chargers, except for 2 & they way very well go too??  

Johnny Rotten,  Awesome username Man!

Thanks for the Link to Ares defense, I have not seen their site in quite some time? That is a different looking side charger & I suppose the charging Handle flips Up & out of the way so it won't reciprocate while under fire??

I'm not a Big Social media Type, but if you want to check them out on their Facebook page just Google Holland Automatic Rifles on Facebook. Once there you can even look at the Patents John has on this Upper & they are cool if you are Mechanical kind of Guy...

It may even have the Patents on his New Piston System too??

Edited by Tooreal

The NFA upper is 100% billet aluminum with the exception of the required steel parts. No carbon fiber or polymer used in these.

https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/side-charging-ar-15-stripped-billet-upper-receiver/

And because you can use a standard BCG you can use the high end BCG you already have. I have, and will only use, NiB BCGs from now on so the ability to use my BCG is an important factor for me. The only thing that is keeping me from buying one is the lack of a forward assist.

I just found the NFA upper for $195 which makes it a little harder to resist.

http://www.wcarmory.com/new-frontier-side-charging-upper-non-reciprocating.htm

They have been available for at least a year and honestly I believe it is closer to two years.

Is the link to the pictures working? Anyone know?

Yeah, but it's a slide show can't seem to turn off, can go to "view album" though.  Anyway, here they are imbedded in post. Very interesting looking config, for sure.

What are the exact advantages of such?

IMG_3252_zpsfb40c80c.jpg

IMG_3253_zps04ca4754.jpg?462

IMG_3250_zpsda5bb4fb.jpg?737

IMG_3251_zps30211a36.jpg?952

IMG_3254_zpsafafac30.jpg?994

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Dolomite_supafly,

That is a Great price point & I can see why you may jump on that deal!! That's cheaper than LAR OPS4 Uppers use to cost, and they reciprocated unlike these..

I've never held one of those Uppers before, so I can't say anything about them Good or Bad?

I do know how this side charger that I have works & operates & am Happy with this & just wanted to let anyone else know about them if they may be interested?  :wave:

Johnny Rotten,  Awesome username Man!

Thanks for the Link to Ares defense, I have not seen their site in quite some time? That is a different looking side charger & I suppose the charging Handle flips Up & out of the way so it won't reciprocate while under fire??

I'm not a Big Social media Type, but if you want to check them out on their Facebook page just Google Holland Automatic Rifles on Facebook. Once there you can even look at the Patents John has on this Upper & they are cool if you are Mechanical kind of Guy...

It may even have the Patents on his New Piston System too??

Your right it's really close to a REPR, I almost bought one a couple yrs ago.

I have a Ares Gen 5 Shrike upper you can fold the side cocker up or leave it down, it doesn't reciprocate once it's charged. 

JOHNNY ROTTEN

Your right it's really close to a REPR, I almost bought one a couple yrs ago.
I have a Ares Gen 5 Shrike upper you can fold the side cocker up or leave it down, it doesn't reciprocate once it's charged.

I've never had a Ares in my hands before, and another Non- Reciprocaprocating Upper Too, that's awesome. I'm sure they are Great weapons just going from what I've read & the Belt fed Option is unreal from what I remember?

I would never want a side charger on the left side.  That would put it up against my body while slung, a mild annoyance and just begging to get stuck somewhere if I was wearing kit.

I can't even say I like the aesthetics of it.  It seems out of place, especially so close to the trigger.  I wonder how easy it would be to push the gun forward as opposed to pulling the charging handle backwards that close in.  Not a lot of space to make that happen from what I see.  Could it handle that repeatedly?  Now we are into durability testing issues.  A broken charging handle on an AR is a cheap replacement if I'm using the standard one, is this as cost effective?  And so on, and so on...

It looks big enough in the picture, but I'd want to make sure it works well enough in my hands.   With the traditional charging handle, I can push pull at the same time, or with the action of say, my GSG-522 (MP5 style), the action is far out enough to let me just pull it back in a smooth motion.

Maybe I just let my nightmares of misfires drive me too much, but I wouldn't want a gun that I can't run the action on in a smooth motion under stress.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1
Btq96r,
I can't even say I like the aesthetics of it. It seems out of place, especially so close to the trigger. I wonder how easy it would be to push the gun forward as opposed to pulling the charging handle backwards that close in. Not a lot of space to make that happen from what I see. Could it handle that repeatedly?

Brother I believe that You are Describing the Phase 5 Type 2 Bolt Release!?! It's like the Magpul BAD Lever, Except it Does Not screw onto the Standard BHO that's on every standard AR. It Replaces the Original BHO that is shipped with Every LPK.

As for the Charging Handle, it is kept in the Forward Position by a SS Ball Bearing that has a Spring Pressed against The Bottom of the SS Ball Bearing. That Pressure is Adjustable by turning the screw In Front of the Charging Handle towards the Front of the Receiver..

I hope that I understood you correctly and answered your question?!.

Btq96r,
I can't even say I like the aesthetics of it. It seems out of place, especially so close to the trigger. I wonder how easy it would be to push the gun forward as opposed to pulling the charging handle backwards that close in. Not a lot of space to make that happen from what I see. Could it handle that repeatedly?

Brother I believe that You are Describing the Phase 5 Type 2 Bolt Release!?! It's like the Magpul BAD Lever, Except it Does Not screw onto the Standard BHO that's on every standard AR. It Replaces the Original BHO that is shipped with Every LPK.

As for the Charging Handle, it is kept in the Forward Position by a SS Ball Bearing that has a Spring Pressed against The Bottom of the SS Ball Bearing. That Pressure is Adjustable by turning the screw In Front of the Charging Handle towards the Front of the Receiver..

I hope that I understood you correctly and answered your question?!.

I was talking about the charging handle, not the bolt release. 

I'm not a big fan of the extended bolt releases either, but I know those serve a functional purpose that help people during reload & malfunction drills.

Edited by btq96r

brq96r;

Talking about the forward assist.

Tooreal;
I got the owner to look at the New Frontier side charging upper and I am going to Paste His response below Here:

So the New Frontier weighs more. The sight radius is shorter. The door seems susceptible to damage. There is no forward assist. There is no provision for ejection port cover.

Our upper is designed for use with a piston , but works and accepts all mill spec parts. It is extensively fluted to increase strength, and save weight. Our charging handle is also Canted Up, and there are several reasons for that.

I will all the Technical Data such as weight and everything else, as I am able to.
Eric
i have another upper w a non reciprocating handle on the left side, the handle folds and hasnt been a problem as far as getting hung goes, yet, id still like to try it even though i keep hearing raptor in the distance. i have bi handles on 2 rifles, not the same, especially for competition where clearing crap fast is of essence..
i really really dont want to pay 800 for a holland upper....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, Hell yeah it ate my spelling!!! again!!