Primitive Season Instead of Muzzleloader Season

I wouldn't be for or against it, but I think there are too many "you can use this, but not that" regulations already.  There are plenty of options to use different weapons at different times as it is.  If anything, just make a longer overall rifle/muzzleloader/handgun season and keep the bow season and make it simple for anyone to understand.

• Like 3
I don't have a "primitive" weapon. I do, however, have a black powder rifle. I would like to have a "primative" weapon one day. Imo, they both shoot powder, just a different boolit. There are so many ways to argue with this. Quite frankly, I'm just happy to hunt. I have nothing against anything that gets people out in the woods. I think at times we hunters are our own worst enemy. We argue over petty things. In the mean time, we should be striving to make our sport stronger, and become more active in getting others involved. So, hunt with what ya got. Hunt with what you like, and don't worry about what the other man or woman is doing. Get out and enjoy what the good Lord has given and leave it at that.
  • Like 3

It would be fun to see a primitive season consisting of non-compounding bows and atlatls.

Kinda seems like the point of primitive hunting gets lost after you add crossbows, inline muzzle loaders  with scopes, & single shot rifles. Might as well just make it all rifle season. 

• Like 5

Kinda seems like the point of primitive hunting gets lost after you add crossbows, inline muzzle loaders  with scopes, & single shot rifles. Might as well just make it all rifle season. 

This. Being very new to hunting, I can't understand the point of muzzle loader season. ISTM that a modern muzzie is not really different from a centerfire, other than being more cumbersome to use and something else to have to spend money on to stretch the "gun" season.

NO!!!! We have a rifle season where "Centerfire" weapons are permitted. I have in the past and will in the future, push for a primitive season similar to PA. Sidelock Percussion and Sidelock Flint only. Move Inlines to the regular gun season!

Dave

• Like 4

Would you support in a change in Tennessee to allow single shot primitive rifles, such as H&R single shot 45-70's, to be used during muzzleloader season?  Mississippi and Louisiana already allow single shot 45-70's during muzzleloader season.

I don't think "H&R" Single shot rifles could be considered "primitive" seeing that they are of modern manufacture. Leave muzzleloader as is or better yet....go "primitive"....

Dave

• Like 2

No I wouldn't support using any cartridge in the muzzle loader season. I would support opening deer season to any weapon from the opening day to the last day. we don't need any more rules to support 1 type of weapon or to restrict another than we have already. Bow hunters keep trying to extend bow season either before or after the normal season. They all ready get over a month longer to hunt than any type of gun hunter. use your single shot rifles in the other states that allow it but keep our seasons and weapons as they are now and have been for a long time imo

How would they license a black powder/primitive (centerfire) season? We are already being licensed to death now. To hunt with bow...$28, Muzzleloader...$28, Centerfire (rifle, shotgun, pistol)...$28, Fishing/small game...$28, WMA permit/Non quota big game (to deer hunt on a WMA)...$21.........WE DO NOT NEED more licensing fees! Tennessee is one of the most expensive states to hunt. We're licensed to death here.

Oh...I have two H&R Handi Rifles. One in 45/70 and one in 7mm/08....they are not very accurate nor consistent on the range. Just my :2cents: !

Dave

• Like 2

I do wish the seasons in general were made longer.  I think if we are able to kill three does a day in the area I hunt, then that may mean the season can be added in September or January and February.

I do understand the archery hunters wanting a separate season because you don't have near the amount of archery hunters as you do MZ and modern gun.

I don't think the inline muzzleloaders are that much of a disadvantage VS modern gun.  The one disadvantage that I do see with most muzzleloaders is that you cannot shoot as far as most modern centerfire rifles.  The smokeless muzzleloaders do have a flatter trajectory than most BP muzzleloaders.

I guess when you have less and less people wanting to deer hunt for whatever reason then you have to figure out how to kill more deer to keep the population in balance.

What's the goal we have as hunters? Do we want as many people as we can get buying hunting license and going into the woods to enjoy the sport? That's what I want.

I don't care what you hunt with, I don't care what deer you shoot, so long as it's legal. Let's make it easy for folks to get into the woods. One price for deer hunting instead of 3 separate stamps and a type 94 for doe that TWRA wants us to take anyway.

I don't see any point in making the process of killing any more difficult. We have a shortage of hunters, not a shortage of deer.
  • Like 5
The type 94 almost seems backwards to me. Seems it might make more sense to charge a an additional $20 in order to shoot a buck and not charge anything additional to hunt does. I'm betting as many if not more hunters would go for that on the chance that they might have to pass on a nice buck. It would also be more friendly to financially disadvantaged hunters who are just trying to put some meat on the table.
  • Like 5

I have a somewhat confused opinion on this subject....  

Bow season should be long bows and compound bows.  A crossbow with a scope?  Nah.  Other than visually resembling a bow, it's a completely different skill set and more akin to a rifle than a bow.

Muzzleloaders... Somehow the modern in-lines seem too "high tech", like they're not "in the spirit" of something like a flintlock. 

That said, go hunt with whatever you've got.  The regulations are WAY too complicated and licenses are too expensive.  You can only shoot this many of this sex in this area with this weapon during these days with this license...  sheesh.  KISS, y'all know what that means. 

• Like 1