Looking for opinions on nfa trust lawyers in middle TN.

Getting serious about starting up my trust - have the green light from my better half.  Wondering which vendors/lawyers are best and openly request any on here to send me a PM with pricing and/or details.  Also looking for feedback from those that have went this route as far as who they would suggest I use.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but wanted to give a positive review for John Wells.  I went to his office, and the only hard part was the Brentwood traffic, everything else went smooth as silk, even an on the spot revision in the documents at my request (I didn't want my name in the trust).  John is a professional guy through and through, and I credit his work and council for my Form 1 being a first time go.  I've also never heard nor read a bad word about Chip Cain and his services. 

Gun owners in Tennessee who want to go through the NFA trust process are well served by these two , and I'd recommend their personal service and experience in TN trust law over an internet company any day of the week.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just now looking at these threads, as I am considering the same thing. Can anybody say what one of these is going to cost me? I've heard anywhere from $250-$500.

Yep, that's about right. Haha, send Chip Cain or John Wells a PM they'll price ya one pretty fast.
  • 4 weeks later...
Sorry to dredge this up again, but I have a similar need. While Chip McCain and John Wells seem to be the go to people, they won't work for my need. I have access to a group of lawyers through Hyatt Legal and would like to use one of them. This is a benefit through my employer, so there is no charge to me. There are 10-15 middle TN attorneys that are part of the group.

Any other recommendations so I can check the list again?

Sorry to dredge this up again, but I have a similar need. While Chip McCain and John Wells seem to be the go to people, they won't work for my need. I have access to a group of lawyers through Hyatt Legal and would like to use one of them. This is a benefit through my employer, so there is no charge to me. There are 10-15 middle TN attorneys that are part of the group.

Any other recommendations so I can check the list again?

While I'm not privy to your needs, I highly doubt that any lawyer on your list knows the in's & out's of NFA firearms law like John and Chip know it.  There is a reason they are the two names that come up in thread, after thread, after thread.

The one-time charges aren't that bad if you're already able to afford NFA items.

• Like 1
Yeah...there are a few in middle TN that list irrevocable trusts as an area of expertise. Hyatt is a national plan that subcontracts local attorneys. I doubt they could help with this specific of a question. I realize that $500 is not much, but it would be nice to use a company benefit in an unintended way.
  • 2 weeks later...

Also late to the thread, but for anyone else, I've had professional dealings with Chip Cain and highly recommend him.

On one occasion, he gave me his time and advice and wouldn't take a penny for it (I wouldn't expect that...the man has to eat.  :)  ).

You really need to use an attorney that is versed in NFA laws and rules. Yes, most attorneys could do a trust but if you screw up a trust managing regular items nothing will happen. Screw up a trust with NFA items and you could find yourself in serious legal trouble. The cost to make bond for possession of an unregistered NFA item is more than the cost of a trust, even an expensive trust. Then hiring a criminal defense attorney is going to cost a lot more than even the most expensive trust. Then the thought of loosing your freedom, your job, your home and basically everything you have worked for is not worth saving $500.

There is a reason why want an attorney that is specialized in NFA law. There are a lot of nuances with the NFA items that just does not apply to non NFA items in a trust.

You would not hire a real estate attorney to help you in a divorce. Much like you would not hire a roofer to fix your plumbing problem. You want a person who is experienced in that particular field.