Rain barrels and winter

Last year was my first year to have a rain barrel. It's a plastic 57 gal Fiskers barrel. I drained it last winter and was about to do the same this week. That got me to thinking what other people do with theirs.

Does anyone insulate or heat theirs in order to keep the preparedness factor in place during the winter?
My rain barrels (50 gallon plastic drums) stay full during winter. Even if I tried to drain them before the freeze, they would fill back up because I would have to leave them in place. Until it gets real cold, they are useful when I need to wash off a shovel but don't want to take off the faucet covers.

I once had a wood barrel that would leak in the winter, probably because the wood contracted and opened the spaces between the staves.
  • Admin Team

Is it in the sun at all?  Wrap it with some a couple of black trash bags and I bet it would absorb enough heat to keep it from freezing.

That said, you could probably also do sort of an inline solar water heater for about $25 in materials.  since you're not actually trying to use the hot water, you could likely get away with a 2x4 frame, some tubing and some black paint. 

I just leave the drain open all winter so it doesn't fill up.   It still holds a little water, but not enough to cause problems.  Mine gets only a couple hours of sun in the morning this time of year. 

That said, someone remind me to open the drain when I get home tonite....

• 5 weeks later...

It's not a rain barrel, but I have a 275 gal water storage tank on my patio..  It sits next to the dryer exhaust vent, so I added a flex pipe to the vent and routed it under the tank.  It seems to be just enough heat, often enough to keep it from freezing.

I just leave the drain open all winter so it doesn't fill up.   It still holds a little water, but not enough to cause problems.  Mine gets only a couple hours of sun in the morning this time of year. 

That said, someone remind me to open the drain when I get home tonite....

Don't forget to open the drain on your rain barrel when you get home tonite.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

55gal drum will have 2in of ice on top...if temperature stays <28F for 48 continuous hours.  If so, drain a few gallon with a bottom of the tank faucet and you will relieve the pressure on the tank.

275 gal tote will have 1in of ice on top....if temperature stays <25F for 72 continuous hours...If so, drain a few gallon with a bottom of the tank faucet and you will relieve the pressure on the tank.

So far in 2014....I had not drain my tanks...just bleed some water at the bottom of the tank to relieve some pressure when temperature was 22F for 4 days in Oct.

Saw birds, geese and whooping crane flying North the other day.....those critters have better sense than man....weather may warms up soon.

• 4 months later...

I started with white barrels but due to algae changed to blue ones but I do not drain them or do anything special to them for the winter.  I am sure ice forms, but its only at the top and have never had it freeze solid.

I just picked up a white barrel, would it be better for me to swap it out with a blue one for same reason as you had?

I just picked up a white barrel, would it be better for me to swap it out with a blue one for same reason as you had?

I would, I had way too much algea in the barrels even after using pool shock to try and keep it at bay.  The blue ones I have now seem to be doing much better, though they still get some and need a bit of shock too.

• Like 1

I would, I had way too much algea in the barrels even after using pool shock to try and keep it at bay.  The blue ones I have now seem to be doing much better, though they still get some and need a bit of shock too.

Thanks! I went back and exchanged it. Someone on here in another thread mentioned a guy selling barrels out on Almaville Road, well this is the same guy. He's set up on Sam Ridley right before you get to Murfreesboro Rd in Smyrna. His Dad still sits random places around Murfreesboro. Anyway, $10 for the barrels and also steel burn barrels.
  • Like 1