Why is it so hard...

suspiciousmind

To find a 44 magnum in stores.

I'd like to compare barrel lengths in Redhawks and compare the Smith 29 to the Ruger, but it seems like no one has these in stock.

I'm probably going to just get the 7.5 inch Redhawk as it seems to make the most sense.

Any ideas on where I can find these hand cannons so I don't have to buy from Buds?

I'd sell my S&W 29-2, 8 3/8 inch but I'm just too wishy washy. A few days from now I could be persuaded to sell it. Then again...I really enjoy 

shooting the heck out of it. Recoil is ok, accuracy is outstanding. The trigger is light because i put a spring kit in it. I even have a holster although

to draw it can be a pain see'n as how you keep drawing and drawing til the muzzle clears leather. :D

• Like 1
There's a used 29-3 at Nash Armory but they want $900. Seems like a lot for one of the lesser desirable generations.

But, I Iike the Redhawk in part because it's NOT a 29. When I have the money to blow on a 29 that I won't shoot much then I will get one. Til then, I bet the Redhawk can take a beating.

Both Buds.com and Grabagun has some in stock:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ruger+super+redhawk&osCsid=t1ecklnq5j2vm7h7vjbi2gi4f3&x=0&y=0

https://grabagun.com/salesperson/result/?q=ruger%20super%20redhawk&Trigger=ac

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/superredhawkbuds_zpsb9a021c8.jpg.html]superredhawkbuds_zpsb9a021c8.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/superredhawkgrab_zps54dfc5e8.jpg.html]superredhawkgrab_zps54dfc5e8.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

To find a 44 magnum in stores.

I'd like to compare barrel lengths in Redhawks and compare the Smith 29 to the Ruger, but it seems like no one has these in stock.

I'm probably going to just get the 7.5 inch Redhawk as it seems to make the most sense.

Any ideas on where I can find these hand cannons so I don't have to buy from Buds?

It's a bit of a niche market to try to appeal. They're neat to look at and play with but let's be honest, how many people flock to the stores in search of one? Not many to say the least.

• Like 1

It's a bit of a niche market to try to appeal. They're neat to look at and play with but let's be honest, how many people flock to the stores in search of one? Not many to say the least.

Yep. They never really took off in mainstream demand till Dirty Harry, then SW had to crank up the line. Then 90% of the folks who bought one during the craze wound up selling them and demand returned to the norm.

- OS

• Like 1

Yep, just mention carrying a .44mag as a self defense gun amd most people think you're crazy.
Call me crazy but I want a 3" 629 to carry. I had never shot a .44mag buy always liked guns with authority. Shot a buddies Blackhawk .44 amd I love it.

I like big guns and I cannot lie. You other brothers can't deny. ;)

I don't mind other people thinking I'm crazy. I'm not into guns to please others. :lol:

Yep, just mention carrying a .44mag as a self defense gun amd most people think you're crazy.

Call me crazy but I want a 3" 629 to carry. I had never shot a .44mag buy always liked guns with authority. Shot a buddies Blackhawk .44 amd I love it.

While it's not a carry pistol, I love my 629-6.

• Like 1

Sorry you pulled the trigger. 

You should shoot both before you buy. I've had both and never liked the recoil of the Rugers. Check that....maybe I should say Blackhawk and 

I got rid of one years ago.

I've shot the Redhawk and they don't have the trigger the S&W's have. 

I passed on a Blackhawk .44 mag a few months ago. He wanted $250 for it. Had it been a Smith.....

• Like 1
Besides, why are you sorry? I support everyone's gun buying choices even if I disagree with them. There are a lot of people that speak very favorably of the Redhawk, and due to the heavier construction one would think they handle the recoil better. Although, I suppose grips have a lot to do with it.

Even hardcore Smith guys like Hickok45 speak favorably of the Redhawk.

Besides, why are you sorry? I support everyone's gun buying choices even if I disagree with them. There are a lot of people that speak very favorably of the Redhawk, and due to the heavier construction one would think they handle the recoil better. Although, I suppose grips have a lot to do with it.

Even hardcore Smith guys like Hickok45 speak favorably of the Redhawk.

My bad for that. I meant it's always better to shoot everything in the caliber you can get your hands on. I've had the luxury of owning them without 

firing prior dropping the cash on them. I would have stuck with Smiths and been happy.  Please don't get me wrong I was shooting these guns since I was 18, which is close to 44 years ago.

My first big gun was the Colt. 45 and it had some kick and shot fine but SAO, leaving one bullet behind along with slow reloading meaning 

it was a wonderful plinking gun back then. My primary weapon back then was a Remington 1911A1.

My next gun's were actually three Cowboy Style Rugers. I went into the Service back then and they were very cheap to buy form the BX back then. I picked up a .22lr,/.22Mag combo then a .38/.357/9mm combo and they shot so well I bought the .44 mag. Whoops! What I found, although I didn't know it at the time, was the .44 had a high barrel centerline. This meant the moment of angle, pivot point when the gun went bang was much higher than on the S&W. This meant the pistol rotated heavily in my hand and the backside of the hammer would slam back into the web of my hand between my thumb and forefinger. Not the most comfortable feeling everytime I shot it and I developed a noticeable flinch from shooting it. Not so much from the pain as from the anticipation of the pain. I finally ran into a guy with a M-29/2. What a difference when I shot it!

Yes, it goes bang and pushes back and up and you can develop a small flinch at around shot #10 but not because of any pain just anticipating its gonna go bang but it's easy to hold through the shot. Nice pistol and accurate. 

My son-in-law bought a S&W .460 and a .500 so I've shot both go of those, also. The .460 reminds me of my .44 mag and is a pleasure to shoot, just like my 29/2. The .500 reminds me of my old Ruger .44 mag. although not so much due to the rotation of the gun in my hand but due to it's heavy recoil.  It's just too much to be a pleasure to shooting, IMHO.

I've had a DE in .44 mag which I found a pleasure to shoot also. The darn thing is so heavy that there is not much felt recoil although the mass of the slide helps the gun jump in your hand. And again. my Son-in-law has a DE .500 which I did not find a pleasure to shoot. You need to shoot one wearing shooting glasses because the cases have a tendency to come back and "dink" you in the forehead above your eyebrows.  Ow.... If you let someone shoot one you also need to make sure they have a good grip on the thing because it will come back and ding someone unsuspecting foo..er...shooter on the forehead, too.

Redhawks... I already mentioned I was't that fond of the  triggers compared to Smith's. 

Hmmm, now that we've talked about this I have to sadly say I don't have any Rugers in the house although I've shot some worked over 2nd gen Vaquero .45's that were sweet. I think I could own a pair of those.

You are absolutely correct that everyone has different ideas as to what trips their trigger. That's why there are so many manufacturers out there. 

My thoughts were in answer to your question although I apologize for not going into more detail which probably gives one more ideas as to the why folks buy what they buy. Also, these were just my prefs over the years.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 1